Dodge Challenger Forum banner

181 - 189 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,365 Posts
Thought I would resurrect this thread for two reasons: first being that there is so much good info here, and second that I came across an interesting video about (drumroll please):

TURNING A TWO-PIECE ROTOR

Believe it or not, somebody has posted a video on this. There may be others, as I've not researched this for a couple years, but back when I did, there was very little information on this subject.

In case you haven't tried to find a shop to do yours, you might not know that there is a huge controversy about turning these 2-piece rotors. Most shops won't touch them. Liability, inability, ain't worth the "risk-ability," there are plenty of excuses out there. Not blaming anybody for being reluctant to guarantee ANYTHING on your thousand dollar rotors, but I've talked to a number of local shops about it. Seems like I always get the same negative response. My Dodge dealer can do it, but WOW is it expensive. I don't know about other dealers, but last I checked, that depends whether or not they have the right equipment.

So here it is below, a video of a guy turning his own Hellcat rotors. He not only takes us through the process, but explains a lot of interesting stuff about why rotors seem to be warped and even shows some great close up footage of the "run-out" of his rotors as they were spinning on his brake lathe.

He makes it clear that this is is not an endorsement of turning two piece rotors, but simply demonstrates that it is possible. What I found interesting was that he was NOT using the newest high tech equipment to do it.

CLICKY

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
216 Posts
Thought I would resurrect this thread for two reasons: first being that there is so much good info here
Thanks for resurrecting it. Lots of good info for sure and was good reading through it, especially the brake info. Helped me get in the mindset of what to expect while waiting for my 1320. Although that comes with the 4-piston brembos. I'm gonna have to look a little more into the brakes and pads. I used Powerstop brakes and rotors on my Avenger and ended up replacing them less than a year later with EBC, so I'm a bit reluctant trying anything Powerstop again. But I drive my cars HARD, and it probably won't be any different with this Challenger.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
Thanks for resurrecting it. Lots of good info for sure and was good reading through it, especially the brake info. Helped me get in the mindset of what to expect while waiting for my 1320. Although that comes with the 4-piston brembos. I'm gonna have to look a little more into the brakes and pads. I used Powerstop brakes and rotors on my Avenger and ended up replacing them less than a year later with EBC, so I'm a bit reluctant trying anything Powerstop again. But I drive my cars HARD, and it probably won't be any different with this Challenger.
With the 4-pistons I'd leave them alone, most recommended the PowerStops for the 6-pistons which are really overkill for the street.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
With the 4-pistons I'd leave them alone, most recommended the PowerStops for the 6-pistons which are really overkill for the street.
Agree. 4 piston brakes are more than adequate for the street and the pads dont dust nearly as bad as the big brake kit. NOT NEARLY. SO in that case Id leave them alone. Except for replacing the rears on 19s that have that dumbass 3/4 pad that doesnt swipe the entire disk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whoa, what? $2,750 for front pads and rotors???????????????????????
yes and its every 30k or so. tires 250 each and they also go at 20-30k miles. i had a headlight module fail which was out of warranty and cost 2000.00. get the extended warranty. It is very expensive after the first 30k or so.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hmmmm, I can't imagine having to replace rotors every 30K. If I did, this car would get sold. Rotors should last a lot longer than 30K, IMO...I use the Powerstop pads as well.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
You would have to drive like a madman to go through rotors every 30K. Put powerstop pads on it and you won't have to worry about rotors.

181 - 189 of 189 Posts