Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As a daily driver, the stock exhaust had grown louder to the point where drone was becoming a nuisance between the 1400 - 1800 RPM range.

I swapped the mid mufflers for 3" Flowmaster Delta 40's with the hope of lessening the drone. These are #924943 (CORRECTION: #942543), and they are Flowmaster's quietest option in their aggressive category. Keeping the stock resonators, I was pleasantly surprised at the tone from these chambered mufflers vs. the trumpeting tone of the stock mid mufflers. Loud on the outside still, but no longer booming inside. I now hear the other mechanicals of the car, - the whine of the rear end, the sucking of the Mopar cold air intake, the sound of the engine itself.

Video Clip:

Install Pictures:

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,226 Posts
Very nice, Sounds great!

I am curious about the decision to go with 3” mufflers though, isn’t the stock exhaust 2.75”?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, stock is 2.75". Using 3" inlet/outlets allowed the muffler to sleeve over the stock pipes, thereby eliminating restriction into and out of the muffler. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great idea. My 2018 just started developing a low drone around 1500-2000, at 7,000 miles now. I don't want anything crazy loud, but this sounds pretty mellow. How do you compare tone/volume to the stock exhaust?

One question; when I search Flowmaster 942543, I am coming up with 2.5", not 3"?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,026 Posts
Great idea. My 2018 just started developing a low drone around 1500-2000, at 7,000 miles now. I don't want anything crazy loud, but this sounds pretty mellow. How do you compare tone/volume to the stock exhaust?

One question; when I search Flowmaster 942543, I am coming up with 2.5", not 3"?

Thanks!
Same here......and I do not even see a listing for the 924943’s the OP mentioned in post #1

I was trying to verify the number on the muffler in the pic and it appears to be a valid number; the 924943’s leaves me hanging.

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
209 Posts
Same here......and I do not even see a listing for the 924943’s the OP mentioned in post #1
It is a typo. The picture provided clearly shows 942543, not 924943 from the original post. Cheaper on Amazon than Summit.

Holley shows them as 2.5" vs 3" or 2.75" as listed in this thread. That said... I have Flowmasters on all the vehicles in the fleet except the new Grand Cherokee. The muffler is the same whether 2.5", 2.75" or 3". The inlet/outlets are different. A decent muffler shop can swap those in a jiffy.

-Eric

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for the confusion everyone! I corrected the part number in the initial post, - it is #942543. I spoke to the muffler shop and they explained what happened. They had initially ordered #943041 (3" offset inlet/center outlet), but upon installation they realized that an offset inlet/outlet (#943043) would have given better clearance from the stock heat shields. Their distributor was out of stock, so they pick up a pair of #942543 and expanded the inlets & outlets from 2.5" to 3".

This morning I measured the outlets of the stock mid mufflers and Flowmasters for comparison. Sure enough, they DID expand the openings to 3". In the attached pics the stock mid muffler's circumference is 8.5", the Flowmaster is 9.75". The diameters are:

9.75" / 3.1416 = 3.1"
8.5" / 3.1416 = 2.7"

flowmaster_circumference.jpg
stock_muffler_circumference.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks!
The stock mid mufflers are a flow-through design with packing to muffle the sound. Kind of like Magnaflows or Dynomax Ultraflows. By the time I had reached 30,000 miles, the drone had become loud enough at that 1500 - 1800 rpm range that my ears would be ringing after commuting for an hour.

These Delta Flow 40's knock out the bassy, low-frequency exhaust tones. The chambered tone is distinctly different. Tough to explain but where the stock exhaust has a trumpety, almost fart-like bellow, the Flowmaster reminds you of what classic muscle cars sounded like.

As far as volume, it is definitely quieter inside. I hear road noise, tire noise and the whine of the differential more than the exhaust when cruising on the fwy. When you lean on the throttle, the roar is there but without that low-frequency resonance.

For me, this is a decent compromise, as I spend about 1-2 hours driving this car on weekdays.

The next step up from the Delta Flow 40's are the Super 40's, which have a thicker case and slightly smaller delta baffles. They're supposed to have a deeper tone, - I just didn't want to chance it and still get drone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts