Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a new SRT 13 Owner.... I was looking at Superchargers when I was thinking of getting a RT but got a great deal on the SRT. SO now I'm stumped all the Boost research says to stay away from boosting the 6.4L unless you plan to replace the pistons... Please Help... I want to put something together as a plan for this Fall....

Thanks on any advice....

·
Registered
529 Posts
Save yourself the headache and swap out the pistons to for forged. Depending on how much power you're going for there are also other expenses, like driveline upgrades, fuel delivery upgrades etc

Reactions: Anthony_Swank

·
Registered
368 Posts
With enough information posted on this site with end-user experiences, you should be able to draw a reasonable conclusion as to what's the general consensus.

There are those that have gone 100k miles with no issues at all. Then there are some that have had pistons let go within days.

Is it worth the extra 5-10k to be "safe"? Totally up to the person and as mentioned before - research is key. The kits sold today are designed to be as "safe" as possible, but it's way too easy to get addicted to boost and want more.

The more I learn about this platform, the more I'm convinced they weren't designed to see boost - ever! I say this coming from the Mustang world for 20+ years and boosting 302's->331's with 10-25psi and never had an issue with pistons. CR and piston design.

.02 your mileage will vary.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
The answers and solutions are in articles

a magazine discussed in this thread: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/check-out-spring-14-mopar-now-magazine-181081/

This Mopar Now magazine issue discussed in the above thread is excellent. But since the magazie is not available in many locations, I'll try to explain from memory (don't have it on me right now):

The 6.4 Hemi has "Hypertutetic" (sp?) Pistons. These pistons are lightweight, which means better gas mileage and less energy needed to move the pistons. Because they are strong for their weight, the design engineers did not build a thick "upper ring land." That was because FUTURE "boosting psi/operating temps," by potential "modders" was not a consideration to the designers.

The upper ring land (near the top of the piston) is fairly thin. These pistons are more brittle than forged pistons. When high PSI boost levels are introduced, portions of the edges of the upper ring land can chip/break off...and damage the engine (FOD).

The magazine talks about a company (covered in the above thread) that installs forged pistons (and rods I believe) for a fair price. I believe that SRT motors operating at 6.0 PSI boost are somewhat safe. If it were me, I'd get the pistons. It may make your motor last longer...and you can use high boost levels (I believe 12 psi). That means BIG HP.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As WA2FST4U mentioned - there are quite a few of us that have supercharged their 392s without problems. I have 3000+ miles on my 2012 SRT8 which has a Magnuson S/C @ 7.5lbs of boost. I have not had any problems, but I haven't driven the car hard (yet) in the high heat of DC in the summer.

Do the research, pick a QUALIFIED and EXPERIENCED install shop - and make sure the tune is perfect before you take your car home.

Matt

·
Registered
133 Posts
hyper-eutectic pistons + boost generally = breakage. They're designed to be lightweight and a great choice for a N/A engine, but I would keep the boost away from them FWIW

Reactions: closeracing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My wife wants to know why I want to put on a supercharger.... All of know why... But you can't really explain that to someone who sees it as a waist of money... She says the car is fast enough as it is.... Now with that aside... By all the knowledge here who is the best choice for Pistons? Then second who is the best for Rods? Another question? Will the crank need to be replaced or is it not the Weekest Link??

·
Registered
305 Posts
boost or crack cocaine?...ill take boost please!..whenever you add more boost there will be problems always.. its the nature of the game...i have two older hemis running 14.5 lbs in one and 18lbs in the other both are fuel injected and have two stage nitrous kits...both well over 1200 hp a piece and are built to the hault one from dick landey the other is built by one of caletas mechanics and i still have problems sometimes...different animal but same general idea...the question is to yourself know what your jumping into,if it puts a grin from ear to ear them well be it...you can always make more $$$ and you cant take it with ya!..generally i think you be pretty safe at 7-9 lbs as long as its tuned right...but upgrading those pistons is a must if you go over 7lbs...good luck

·
Registered
456 Posts
My wife wants to know why I want to put on a supercharger.... All of know why... But you can't really explain that to someone who sees it as a waist of money... She says the car is fast enough as it is..
Just ask her why do you need another pair of shoes, you have so many already. Same idea.

·
Registered
529 Posts
With enough information posted on this site with end-user experiences, you should be able to draw a reasonable conclusion as to what's the general consensus.

There are those that have gone 100k miles with no issues at all. Then there are some that have had pistons let go within days.

Is it worth the extra 5-10k to be "safe"? Totally up to the person and as mentioned before - research is key. The kits sold today are designed to be as "safe" as possible, but it's way too easy to get addicted to boost and want more.

The more I learn about this platform, the more I'm convinced they weren't designed to see boost - ever! I say this coming from the Mustang world for 20+ years and boosting 302's->331's with 10-25psi and never had an issue with pistons. CR and piston design.

.02 your mileage will vary.
Any challengers with a blower for 100,000 miles

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
speaking from experience spend the money on the pistons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So pistons? What's the preferred brand and what compression? Still have my thoughts of using the KENNE BELL Supercharger. Also connecting rods or crank required?

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
So pistons? What's the preferred brand and what compression? Still have my thoughts of using the KENNE BELL Supercharger. Also connecting rods or crank required?
Several vendors on here sell them.

·
Registered
305 Posts
love the kenne bell superchargers...have one on my chevy 473 small block...havent had anybody stay with me so far including a late model modded zr1...to say the least he was very disapointed ...oh well..with the a/c on as well...

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 392 Engine is about done. Just did the drop in Forged Piston and Rod package from Modern Muscle and the cam is a Comp Cam 270 specifically grinded for forced induction. Plan to keep it at or around 11psi. Should be safe at that with room to spare... Cant wait to have the Pro-charger installed and feel this motor pull.. How do I attach a pic to this post?? lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts