Dodge Challenger Forum banner

SRT-6 Dodge Challenger

8K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  MrMopar 
#1 ·

And yes... it is a sh!t ton more fun to drive now :)

See less See more
#2 ·
so where are you seeing the biggest performance gains?
looks like a nice install job.

#4 ·
Congratulations, you engineer a turbo for the 3.5 and start to feel the benefits of FI. A really cool accomplishment like this and it gets pushed down the list? Good work. Some specs would be nice like max boost and rwhp.

#8 ·
I am going to turbo charge mine in the next few years, What turbo did you use? Dyno numbers? 0-60? Looks like you even used some duct tape "the handy mans secret weapon".
As some have asked here we are detail whores and we love pictures. Video of a launch would be sweet also.

Attachments

#14 ·
I agree $4,000 probably is close and 325 seems a little low. Maybe 350-375 depending on the psi.:redcap:

#18 ·
Alright so here is the skinny, nobody out there makes a turbo kit for the V6 challenger, so me and my buddy made it. We have 2.5 inch 304 stainless pipe going back to a garrett t3/t4 turbo, with a synchronic 40mm wastegate. I have no intercooler in the system but will add one in the future. The BOV is handled by a tial Q series and sounds like music. I im making more boost then I know what to do with and man is it fun to drive. We are currently in the dyno/tuning stages with he car, and with the base tune I am making 140hp and 280tq. Obviously we have work to do, as this has never been done before so I will post dyno results as soon as we get everything tuned. Also ive spent $3400 on parts.

#19 ·
be prepared for a flood of questions!
1) Stock injectors?
2) Did you change the map sensor?
3) How is the oil plumbing handled?

More pics of everything please
If this t3 turbo I have from a previous project was the right size I'd be very tempted to try this right now.

#21 ·
140hp??? U mean + 140 over stock? Cool car:pimp:

#22 ·
subscribed to the thread. want to know how the car is running and what horsepower you are making.

#23 ·
Yes this could be interesting.

#26 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, Im max's buddy that helped put with the turbo project on his 09 Challenger. Hes been busy lately so I thought Id chime in here and update everyone on whats goin on with the car. As of the last dyno session we were making 260hp and 340 ft/tq to the rear wheels with only 5 psi of boost. Our AFR is dead (11.40) on thanks to hours of tuning

Were getting some oiling issues with the -8 return line while the car is under lots of load during long runs so were in the stages of a custom -12 setup to give the oil scavenge a chance to catch up during those 3rd gear highway runs.

Oh, and were now pushing 5psi in first, 7psi in second, and 9 psi in third gear. Were thinking that the dyno isnt putting enough load on the engine to get it to boost over 5 psi, a problem other people have had in the past, so were working with the dyno shop to figure out how to get this baby to boost to 9psi during a run, otherwise its just datalogging while on the street which is no fun.

The car is like night and day from before the build. He loses traction on demand in first gear pretty easily. Tons of torque. I think he was hitting 340 ft/tq at like 3300 rpm and was within 10hp of his peak hp at only 4200 rpm, meaning hes got basically 260hp from 4200 rpm all the way up to 6100rpm. I will see about uploading the hp/tq curves next time we go to the dyno. Were waiting for the weather to clear and april to come sooner so we can bring it to the track and get a real feel for how much the car is improved. My mother owns a R/T Magnum and his car is certainly pulling like an R/T now.

If anyone has any questions on the deep gritty parts of the build let me know, I was the one that basically engineered this whole project and did all the fabrication/welding/etc so I can answer anything you throw at me.

#29 ·
Were getting some oiling issues with the -8 return line while the car is under lots of load during long runs so were in the stages of a custom -12 setup to give the oil scavenge a chance to catch up during those 3rd gear highway runs.
I have designed and built numerous oil scavenge systems for under chassis turbo systems. If you are having an oiling issue, it is likely not your return line size. I have never used larger than a 3/8" return line.

There are a couple areas that could be causing your issue.

What pump are you using? If it is a Sur-Flo, change it now to a gear rotor style pump and save the headache.

Is your pump near the turbo or up front? It should be close to the turbo, within 24" max, 18" is better.

What are you using to restrict the oil flow into the center section? If nothing, then that is your likely culprit as it is not uncommon to see high rpms produce enough pressure to flood the center section and the oil simply can't get out fast enough.

If your crankcase vent line is below or even close to your oil fill cap, then move your return to a valve cover. On the Hemi, the crankcase vent will vacuum oil from an oil cap return right into the air stream where the vent is connected to.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss.

Good job by the way.

#31 ·
Thanks, I have been working on Hemi turbos since 2005, long before anyone else wanted to tackle FI on them.

I looked back at the under chassis shots, and a couple of suggestions. The drain line is making a hard "S" loop before the oil pump with the center of the line raised creating a slight trap. shorten the line for straight entry to the pump.

I can tell the pump is a Sur-Flo based diaphragm pump. Those pumps use a wobble head on a rubber membrane as the pump element. These do not do good job moving the oil/air mixture draining out of the center section. The plastic pump head to pump motor seal will begin leaking oil within a few months and can not be sealed. They are also not designed for high temperature oil, and synthetics make things worse. Regardless of what the manufacturer says, it will simply cause issues. Like I mentioned, get a positive displacement gear rotor pump with all metal construction and gears.

Don't use a vent filter on your crankcase vent, run a line from the vent back to the filter inlet before the turbo so you maintain vacuum on the crankcase even in boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.