Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here with an SRT-8 (with the carbon fiber on the top of the steering wheel) mod their wheels with carbon fiber tape or whatever you guys use?

I've seen the mod done with steering wheels that don't have buttons on them but I'd like to see how it looks with those wheels that DO have buttons (the black ones)

Does the carbon fiber pattern match the top of the wheel?

Pics? (I'm talking about the plastic inserts by the way) haha

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I don't have the buttons and I'm interested to see some pictures too. That yucky silver has got to go.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've got an SRT8 with the carbon fiber looking steering wheel (same as the door pulls). I put one of those carbon fiber dash, console and door trim kits in (the stick on kind you mention) and really liked how it came out. The kit came with overlays for the steering wheel - but when I was test fitting them, I noticed they didn't quite cover the silver parts (I've got all the buttons on the wheel). The outter edge was maybe a half a milimeter or less off, so had I put them on, I would have had just a tad of silver showing through around the edges, so I didn't. The cut outs for the buttonology on the wheel was fine.

Thinking back, however, the minor bit of silver that showed could have easily been overcome by using a black sharpie around the edge, then putting the carbon fiber pieces on. Would have never noticed it. As it was, I didn't mind the silver inserts, and by leaving them alone, gave me a reason to integrate some brushed stainless trim in with the carbon fiber. Here's some pics to give you an idea...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Looks good. Where did you get it?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Its one of the CalID kits available through a variety of aftermarket vendors. You can "Google" aftermarket dash kits and several will come up.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I liked that one too - saw it a while ago and gave me the idea to go with the CF look. Had been thinking about it but the pics sold me. That guy had originally gone with the same kit I have, but found some material less glossy that you can cut to fit (he later removed the CalID kit and replaced it with what's in the photo - posted up a thread on the whole thing). I like the non-glossy look a little better but I don't have the patience or talent for all that meticulous cutting, fitting, etc. Looks nice IMO.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not mine but like the look...
I wonder if those are stickers or plastic pieces???

If you look @ the headlight controls, it appears they are plastic pieces because it has the little icons on the carbon fiber (for "auto" "off" "on" etc)

·
Registered
36 Posts
its Di-NOC Carbon Fiber Vinyl

But yeah he originally had the CarID kit but didn't like the glossy look. Applying it to all the pieces must be apita! But I'm gonna give it a go. Ordered a small sheet off ebay for 10 bucks.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I read the original thread from where the pictures came from some months back - I think he did mention it was Neffy Wrap. In that thread he mentioned that he removed all the CalID pieces (said that was some tedious work too) before cutting and installing the Neffy Wrap.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That looks GREAT! Love to see some pics once the interior is completed - lookin' good so far!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is the EXACT carbon fibre wrap you used?

Link??? :browsmiley:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I used the sample CF vinyl that RPI was selling. I did the lower steering
wheel inserts but can't figure out how to make the upper inserts come out
clean. Sure seems like it would be simple for someone to die cut some stickers
to apply. I'd buy em' in a heartbeat. I can't stand the look of the silver inserts,
they match nothing else in the interior.

·
Registered
91 Posts
CF Wrap

Those are really inspiring photos. Nice dark (Subtle) look. Best appearrance photo wise, and I'm sure in person. That is definitely an improvement, never thought about the overhead piece, but the steering wheel is much easier on the eyes like that than from the original look.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's looking really good - the center console piece is fantastic! Keep at it with the steering wheel - you'll get it.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Does anyone make a kit for this?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts