Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done a lot of research here in the forum and it has left me more confused than anything. I'm wanting the best low-budget (300 or under) exhaust sound upgrade. Reso delete, suitecase delete, flowmasters in place of resos, flowmasters in place of suitecase. Can those of you with SRT 6.1 autos please respond what you did and how it worked out for you? If you have drone, what rpm range is it in and how bad is it? I do a lot of highway driving where my rpm's stay around 2200 and really don't want bad drone at this rpm range. I would love to just replace with zoomers or other but with a daughter starting college in a few months I'm not in position to spend a lot of money. I just want my exhause to be a little louder at idle and a good bit louder at WOT.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have the 6.1 auto and I did the reso delete and replaced my suitcase mufflers with super44 flows, and I love it. There is no way you can delete drone without getting a high end catback, even then those kits get drone a bit but they do a good job keeping it down with those kits, I had a magnaflow system in my 6.1 charger and it had a little bit of drone at 2000rpms but very minimal. reason I went with reso delete and mufflers on my challenger was because I was not happy with the performance gains on a catback, I spent $1,000 for 3 or 4 rwhp, doesnt do it for me. the super44 flowmasters and reso delete gave me a just as aggresive sound and performance, and I am very happy spending $200.00 or so for everything, BUT it will have more drone, I have drone at 1,900 to 2,100 rpms but nothing crazy like people here complain. just a little louder then when I had my magnaflows. Everyone has different tolerant levels, so hard to say. good luck with your mods. The only way to know for sure what works for you, is to ride in a car with a catback or mufflers, and that can be tough to find or do

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 6.1 auto and I did the reso delete and replaced my suitcase mufflers with super44 flows, and I love it. There is no way you can delete drone without getting a high end catback, even then those kits get drone a bit but they do a good job keeping it down with those kits, I had a magnaflow system in my 6.1 charger and it had a little bit of drone at 2000rpms but very minimal. reason I went with reso delete and mufflers on my challenger was because I was not happy with the performance gains on a catback, I spent $1,000 for 3 or 4 rwhp, doesnt do it for me. the super44 flowmasters and reso delete gave me a just as aggresive sound and performance, and I am very happy spending $200.00 or so for everything, BUT it will have more drone, I have drone at 1,900 to 2,100 rpms but nothing crazy like people here complain. just a little louder then when I had my magnaflows. Everyone has different tolerant levels, so hard to say. good luck with your mods. The only way to know for sure what works for you, is to ride in a car with a catback or mufflers, and that can be tough to find or do
Just so happens I'll be in San Diego next month. Maybe you can give me a ride! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Yeah, no problem man. send me a PM when you come to town. I have a few friends out here with challengers that have catbacks to long tube headers, you can hear how they all sound, help you alot with your decision.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I shopped for the best price for a Catback system and love the one I chose. Prices vary even for the same system. Fit was perfect, sound is much better at idle and off idle. Very little drone at 2,000 RPM. It has resonators and a good tone, not too loud, when your laying some hash it really wakes up. Of the modifications I have done this was the single mod that gave the best results in power & performance. The system was $875

·
Registered
298 Posts
I shopped for the best price for a Catback system and love the one I chose. Prices vary even for the same system. Fit was perfect, sound is much better at idle and off idle. Very little drone at 2,000 RPM. It has resonators and a good tone, not too loud, when your laying some hash it really wakes up. Of the modifications I have done this was the single mod that gave the best results in power & performance. The system was $875
same magnaflow system I got on my 6.1 charger. loved the sound and had the same identical drone at 2k as I stated above, WOT it sounded awesome. But was not happy at all with the dyno results in gains. Did you get a chance to dyno before the catback and after? you may have got better results then me. I mean the car sure felt snappier and felt like it gained a little or could be because it sounded so nice and aggresive, it made it seem like it gained alot? but the actual result on the dyno bursted my bubble. :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
JAMAYA,
I did not get it dynoed before any of the work. My next move is headers by ARH. Then immediatley after I am getting it dyno tuned.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I deleted the suitcase mufflers and left the stock resos in place. DO NOT DO IT. You NEED backpressure. I lost tq. I plan on putting super44s in place of the straight pipes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I deleted the suitcase mufflers and left the stock resos in place. DO NOT DO IT. You NEED backpressure. I lost tq. I plan on putting super44s in place of the straight pipes.
When you do this are you going to remove the stocks resos?

I notice the super44s come in different types. which size and type do we need on our cars? (offsets, 2.5 or 3 inch, etc)?

·
Registered
556 Posts
We have the JBA catback setup on our 09 SRT8 auto. $600. Love the old school rumble and at WOT it sounds great! Get just a slight drone around 2200 rpm but it passes quickly

·
Registered
35 Posts
When you do this are you going to remove the stocks resos?

I notice the super44s come in different types. which size and type do we need on our cars? (offsets, 2.5 or 3 inch, etc)?
I'm interested in this answer as well. Anybody have a part # or sizing to make the swap to super 44's that much easier?

·
Premium Member
2010 Challenger SRT8
634 Posts
I bought a
kit off a group buy from this forum for $600ish. No drone, not overbearing when I get on it, and sounds way it should have from factory. Solo kit allows you to adjust "J Pipes" to eliminate and drone you might get.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Flowmaster Cat-Back System!

Does anyone have the Flowmaster-Catback System on there 6.1 L Challenger?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Flowmaster 44's with reso delete and love it. I had Flowmaster shortys but they were too loud. The 44's are perfect for the low tone and not too loud driving at 1800 to 2200 rpm. Comfortable interior noise, aggressive exterior noise. WOT sounds awsome.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I was interested in the Flowmaster Full Catback System however it wiil not fit the 2008 SRT8 Challengers due to the rear end being different. Dodge changed the rear ends in 2009. I think Im going to go with the Borla Catback System #140286.
Going to check out the others however I do know I do not like the sound of both the Corsa and Magna-flo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a magnaflow catback setup off of craigslist for 500. Installed it and it sounded great, just not lowd enough for me, but im 26. So I had the shop take out the resinater and reinstall the x pipe. So now im running from my cats to the x pipe to the magnaflow mufflers and it sounds awsome. Just cant use the blue tooth now. Does have alittle drone, but i drown that out with the stereo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts