Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My 2013 SRT will need new brake pads in the near future. I bought the car from the original owner, with 18K on the odometer in 2015 and, as far as I know, these are the brakes and slotted rotors that came from the factory. The car is close to 40k now and I drive it once or twice per week when the weather is nice, occassionally for some light street racing, and the odd road trip throughout the year. I take it to a 1/4 mile drag strip per year for a MOPAR event, where I may make 3-4 runs.

I still have the OEM Brembo calipers and 22" OEM chrome vapor wheels that came on the car. I have no interest in changing the calipers or wheels, but would like some good recommendations for brake pads and (maybe) rotors that will offer improved performance over OEM. I plan to turn the rotors since they are still straight and true, mostly just so the new brakes will have an even surface to work with, but haven't completely ruled out replacing them.

I'm mostly interested in pads that offer enhanced stopping power and are resistant to fade, but also keep dust at a minimum. I know there is a trade-off between stopping power and dust/noise, but I definitely prefer stopping power. I just don't want to clean my wheels all the time or deal with excessive noise. I've considered some of Hawk's products (such as their HSP 5.0 pads), but have never used their pads before on any application. Likewise for Akebono and Stop-tech, but I have even less familiarity with either of those.

I want quality and reliability and am willing to pay for it. Recommendations for pads or pads & rotors are welcome.

WaS

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Are the current pads on the car Brembo pads? I don't think you will find any that stop better than the OEM Brembos, Less dust yes, better performance no.

Also I don't believe there ever were any 22" OEM wheels on a Challenger. Aftermarket wheels?

Reactions: BlackHemi41

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
I don't have brembos, but I'm running powerstop z23 pads and rotors. Super cheap and very good quality with absolutely no brake dust. As far as I know, the Z17 kit is basically OEM replacement with carbon ceramic pads, while the z23 has slightly better rotors and the same pads. And then they have the z26 kit which is more meant for agressive driving/racing. I know a lot of guys running powerstop on anything from hellcats, vettes, mustangs, to Hyundai sonatas.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
604 Posts
The ceramics tend to dust less - or at least show less dust - than the semi-metallics.

The DOT requires cold and hot coefficient-of-friction grades printed on all pads (usually on the backing plate or an edge). You'll see a pair of letters from E (which is adequate and equal to steel-on-steel), F is good, G is great or H is excellent. That's how you can determine the power of various pads without subjective seat-of-the-pants reviews.

For example, a set of Wagner QuietStop pads have "QS818FF 5177718E N17" printed on the back. QS is the manufacturer model - QuietStop, 818 is the pad material formulation, and FF indicates a good cold bite and good hot performance.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,280 Posts
The ceramics tend to dust less - or at least show less dust - than the semi-metallics.

The DOT requires cold and hot coefficient-of-friction grades printed on all pads (usually on the backing plate or an edge). You'll see a pair of letters from E (which is adequate and equal to steel-on-steel), F is good, G is great or H is excellent. That's how you can determine the power of various pads without subjective seat-of-the-pants reviews.

For example, a set of Wagner QuietStop pads have "QS818FF 5177718E N17" printed on the back. QS is the manufacturer model - QuietStop, 818 is the pad material formulation, and FF indicates a good cold bite and good hot performance.
Good info didn't know that, looks like my z23 pads are also rated FF

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are the current pads on the car Brembo pads? I don't think you will find any that stop better than the OEM Brembos, Less dust yes, better performance no.

Also I don't believe there ever were any 22" OEM wheels on a Challenger. Aftermarket wheels?
I don't think they are after-market. I measured them across the face of the wheel and they measured approximately 22" across the diameter of the wheel. I may have been off on my measurements, but I'm pretty sure that they are OEM wheels. Maybe the chrome vapor wheels were larger than the standard SRT wheels?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Great information! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
Hello all,

My 2013 SRT will need new brake pads in the near future. I bought the car from the original owner, with 18K on the odometer in 2015 and, as far as I know, these are the brakes and slotted rotors that came from the factory. The car is close to 40k now and I drive it once or twice per week when the weather is nice, occassionally for some light street racing, and the odd road trip throughout the year. I take it to a 1/4 mile drag strip per year for a MOPAR event, where I may make 3-4 runs.

I still have the OEM Brembo calipers and 22" OEM chrome vapor wheels that came on the car. I have no interest in changing the calipers or wheels, but would like some good recommendations for brake pads and (maybe) rotors that will offer improved performance over OEM. I plan to turn the rotors since they are still straight and true, mostly just so the new brakes will have an even surface to work with, but haven't completely ruled out replacing them.

I'm mostly interested in pads that offer enhanced stopping power and are resistant to fade, but also keep dust at a minimum. I know there is a trade-off between stopping power and dust/noise, but I definitely prefer stopping power. I just don't want to clean my wheels all the time or deal with excessive noise. I've considered some of Hawk's products (such as their HSP 5.0 pads), but have never used their pads before on any application. Likewise for Akebono and Stop-tech, but I have even less familiarity with either of those.

I want quality and reliability and am willing to pay for it. Recommendations for pads or pads & rotors are welcome.

WaS
The usage of the car doesn't require improved performance over OEM as you are not even maxing out the stock brake hardware.

I have not had brake rotors turned in decades but even back when I did it was the rare auto parts store that bothered to offer this service. Just too much at risk. When a buddy of mine who owned an auto parts store sold out and I lost access to a brake rotor I stopped turning rotors. When the pads were worn out I replaced both pads and rotors.

This even though for some years I was a machinist and had access both at work and home to a lathe large enough to any size brake rotor I wanted to run. (My place of employment had lathes big enough to run the brake drums of passenger jets.)

My advice would be to stick with the factory pads and rotors. While you can perhaps get low dust (?) brake pads the rotor dust is cast iron and will still collect.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,416 Posts
Check this thread: CLICKY HERE. Look for entry number 66 on page four of that thread. It links to a video from a place called Speedy's Garage. There they took a Challenger and did a comparison between Powerstop Z23 (which is a ceramic pad) and factory OEM pads. Typically, ceramic pads will end your dust problem. There are several manufacturers that make them. Lot of guys on this forum chose the Z23's and Z26's from Powerstop: same pad material, different backing plate (and price). I have posted several times on this forum about these pads. I spoke with a powerstop engineer who was good enough to give me a half hour of his time. Essentially he said that Z23/Z26 pads are NOT designed to outperform OEM pads. They are designed to give longer rotor life and to stop the brake dust problem. Do not expect them, or any other ceramic pad, to significantly outperform the factory semi-metallic pads. Have you checked the price for new rotors? Not sure what your car takes as most of my research has been for the 6 piston Brembos which are brutally expensive. If rotor life matters to you, ceramic is your friend. However, if you want significantly better braking power on both street and strip, it's not likely that ceramic Z23 or Z26 pads will provide this. Wanting better stopping performance and lower dust brings to mind the old saying, you can't have it both ways. Gotta choose one or the other. Typically if you must have more stopping power, the answer is bigger brakes.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
I don't think they are after-market. I measured them across the face of the wheel and they measured approximately 22" across the diameter of the wheel. I may have been off on my measurements, but I'm pretty sure that they are OEM wheels. Maybe the chrome vapor wheels were larger than the standard SRT wheels?
Sounds like there are tires on the wheels now? What size is the tire? That will tell you the wheel size (diameter).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,705 Posts
No 22" OEM wheels so they are either 20" OEM, or they could be 22" aftermarket

A Guy

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Do not use Powerstop Z23 or Z26 at ANY dragstrip, autocross or especially road racing event. They are for street use only, some of us know that, we have seen others who don’t want to believe only to have big problems develop. Me and others routinely lap these heavy cars on road courses, and on some courses we see some good/aggressive drivers lay waste to real expensive “racing” pads, with racing fluid and aftermarket rotors included! In the past month I know of four Hellcats that attacked Road America. 3 of four had brake problems/failure, ALL were utilizing recommended mods for their brakes. One totally used up a set of new Hawk pads in a morning. Another whom I lapped with yesterday at BIR had total failure at turn four at RA after three laps! His description of that event was not fun to listen to. If he was not one of the best drivers I know, he would have wrecked that car. He was using aftermarket fluid, Demon Performance Rotors and Hawk DTC pads! The only set of brakes that survived were from the guy who DID NOT go all out into Turn #1, #4, #12. It made 3-5 seconds per lap difference to preserve the equipment. That one guy was me. I installed four new Hawk DTC-70’s before the event, and just knew that I had over 4500 lbs to haul down from speeds of 130-155 mph several times in 2.5 minutes over and over again. We are working through some alignment and other issues getting a Redeye dialed in for lapping, which effected the top speed stability, so I had a natural handicap, that had a positive effect on brake preservation.

I am a Member over at the Hellcat Forum, with Speedy and others and we believe we have looked at this brake pad debate and know the correct answers for everyone, because we have been really using these cars out at the strips and tracks. We have seen lots of different failures, we have seen many have success also. That includes the drag strip, don’t use them there either. Put your Brembo pads back on, they will work fine for that.

I personally have a set of Z26’s matched up to my OEM rotors at delivery on my Redeye, they are used exclusively on the street because I do a COMPLETE brake job prior to any track days. That set of Powerstops and rotors look basically new and I’ll predict may last for as long as the car will last.

The best advice above is post #10. Can’t have it both ways, no dust and your likely driving with a pad that is NOT a performance type pad, only use it on the street, and understand what you are doing.

Reactions: A Guy
1 - 13 of 13 Posts