Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Havent posted here in ages. But I finally managed to get my hands on a complete set of Brembo takes offs from an 09 SRT part out. I have a 2012 SST (its the SXT plus with the RT brakes and suspension, paddles and better gears in the diff).

Ive read the threads on the swap I more or less know what to do and have everything i need. Im looking for some technical expertise here for how to approach the swap.

The issue im facing is that the guy who parted them out basically gave me the calipers, the rotors, the knuckles, ALL of the control arms, the spring buckets and he also left the rear CV axles(half shafts) attached to the hubs/knuckles. I had only asked for everything up till the knuckle, however i think he took the lazy way out when disassemling it and just took the parts off at the easiest locations to remove them. Its all basically already assembled, the bushings are all in really great shape, the arms are fine, everything appears to be in great working order and condition. A little bit of surface rust and i might have to get the rotors turned thats about it. Picture attached of what he gave me.

Now I was going to remove the CV's from the hub he provided and use my own. However im having a heck of time trying to get those 4 torx screws out from behind the hub along with the fact that the axle nut requires a 32mm socket which i don't have. And since this is all off the donor car already, I dont know how easy it will be to break that axle nut loose without being able to engage the brake.

So my question is can/will I be able to mount his entire assembly up to my car in one shot. If i remove the arms, spring bucket and cv axle from my rear end. Can i slide this right in and bolt it all back up? Or is the CV going to cause an issue for me because of the gearing?

Thanks
Arvin

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is what your rear differential will support. I’m not sure what the spline count is on your current halfshafts or your new halfshafts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is what your rear differential will support. I’m not sure what the spline count is on your current halfshafts or your new halfshafts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay that helps. I wonder if the dealer would be able to help me figure that out. Or is there anywhere on the net that would have that info? Theres no rush on this swap as the cars stored until summer, I guess i could always pull mine out and count and compare?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer was no help on this. The parts guy said that there were 2 different part numbers, which was fair to assume in the first place. However no technical details in terms of why they are different and no info at all about the spline counts. Any one else have an idea of where i can figure that out?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,705 Posts
I don't think any SXT/SST rear end/axles with sub with any SRT rear end/axles. You'd have to use individual brake parts, and whatever is involved in that swap.

A Guy

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think any SXT/SST rear end/axles with sub with any SRT rear end/axles. You'd have to use individual brake parts, and whatever is involved in that swap.

A Guy
Thanks for the heads up here. I decided to remove the CV/Axles just in case. Luckily it was a piece of cake. Impacted the axle nut and it and the axles basically slipped right out. Ill post up more updates/issues that may arise as a future reference if anyone looks into this thread. Otherwise ill have some before and afters when im done!

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I’m almost certain that you run into an issue with front lower strut bracket going into the lower control arm. Possibly the tension arm too. Same in the rear. I also highly doubt you can use them axles. Try taking them to a shop to separate if you’re unable. Maybe a nominal charge. Another issues that comes to mind is the front wheel clearance with those calipers. If I were you I’d just swap out the brake components.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m almost certain that you run into an issue with front lower strut bracket going into the lower control arm. Possibly the tension arm too. Same in the rear. I also highly doubt you can use them axles. Try taking them to a shop to separate if you’re unable. Maybe a nominal charge. Another issues that comes to mind is the front wheel clearance with those calipers. If I were you I’d just swap out the brake components.
I have removed the axles so im good there. The wheels i have are 20" Hellcat replicas, so I shouldnt have any issues with clearance.

The front lower strut bracket. Do you recall if its because the arm is different from the SRT? I wont have any issues with separating the arms from the knuckle etc. However it would be nice to know ahead of time instead of finding out halfway through re-attachment of the knuckles to the car.

The only one that really looks like a pain is the rear spring bucket. But I plan to use the one that is attached to the SRT knuckle so I dont have to deal with getting the sleeve back in on the bushing.

Input appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I’m not 100% on the strut bracket size if the SRT and the 2010+ RT bracket size is gonna be the same. I know for a fact that the pre 2010 is not. Not much help there. I just pointed it out before for consideration.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not 100% on the strut bracket size if the SRT and the 2010+ RT bracket size is gonna be the same. I know for a fact that the pre 2010 is not. Not much help there. I just pointed it out before for consideration.
Thats alright. I still appreciate you pointing it out. Better to have an idea of what could go wrong ahead of time rather than part way through the job. Ill swap that arm out prior to re-install. So far the rears seem okay. part numbers seem to match up.

·
Premium Member
2016 Chevy 4x4 Regular cab Short bed
1,551 Posts
Ok here’s what your going to need:
front and rear calibers
front knuckles
front brake rotors
front SRT brake lines
rear spindles
rear brake rotors
rear SRT brake lines
while you have everything here, separate the calibers from the knuckles and spindles.
Do Not remove brake lines from calibers.
Replace front/ rear brake pads if needed ( get new ones from Speedlogix )
Replace rear parking brake pads if needed (Auto Zone)
Remove rear parking brake cables ( not needed )
Your going to assembly pieces back on the car one at a time.
knuckles, spindles, rotors then calibers with brake lines.
The entire assembly is to heavy to lift and place back on the car, and the parking brake cables (on your car) will need to be reinstalled before rotors and calibers are put back on.
As far as the control arms etc etc, I have no experience with any of that.
I just did this swap on my 2017 5.7 R/T
Good Luck !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. Havent posted here in ages. But I finally managed to get my hands on a complete set of Brembo takes offs from an 09 SRT part out. I have a 2012 SST (its the SXT plus with the RT brakes and suspension, paddles and better gears in the diff).

Ive read the threads on the swap I more or less know what to do and have everything i need. Im looking for some technical expertise here for how to approach the swap.

The issue im facing is that the guy who parted them out basically gave me the calipers, the rotors, the knuckles, ALL of the control arms, the spring buckets and he also left the rear CV axles(half shafts) attached to the hubs/knuckles. I had only asked for everything up till the knuckle, however i think he took the lazy way out when disassemling it and just took the parts off at the easiest locations to remove them. Its all basically already assembled, the bushings are all in really great shape, the arms are fine, everything appears to be in great working order and condition. A little bit of surface rust and i might have to get the rotors turned thats about it. Picture attached of what he gave me.

Now I was going to remove the CV's from the hub he provided and use my own. However im having a heck of time trying to get those 4 torx screws out from behind the hub along with the fact that the axle nut requires a 32mm socket which i don't have. And since this is all off the donor car already, I dont know how easy it will be to break that axle nut loose without being able to engage the brake.

So my question is can/will I be able to mount his entire assembly up to my car in one shot. If i remove the arms, spring bucket and cv axle from my rear end. Can i slide this right in and bolt it all back up? Or is the CV going to cause an issue for me because of the gearing?

Thanks
Arvin

You don't have an issue installing the Axles, all are same to be fit in the rear differential gear.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Id recommend you have them professionally installed. The rear springs are under pressure and if you dont know what your doing or have the experience doing it you can get seriously hurt. That spring comes out and hits you,your done. If you do get them out it can be a pain to reinstall without the knowledge of how to do it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts