Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Baby Boomer era father owned great MOPAR's growing up. Some of them he had when I was growing up, but the great stories of street racing in the early 70's with his Hemi fill my childhood memories. I was always jealous of him being able to walk into showrooms and drive out with a new GTX, Challenger, or Charger during the height of the musclecar era. I always asked him why he never kept them and his reply was, "They were used cars. We drove them hard and assumed we'd always be able to trade them in for something new and faster."

Fast forward to the second muscle-car epoch that we are living in now, and no car captured the essence of that era in my heart like the new Challenger. I resisted at first, but when Mopar released the R/T Classic in the legendary B5 blue of my youth ... I had to have one. I love the retro-vibe of the Classic. However, being performance minded, I was disappointed that the SRT wasn't available with the Classic package. Give me all of the performance improvements, with the Classic vibe and I am in! I often wondered why Chrysler didn't do that.

I'm sure over the next two or three years I will modify my Classic to meet the performance capabilities of the SRT ... But it would have been nice to have been able to just check a box.

P.S. .... Chrysler, don't do this now or I'll be forced to buy it.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
I feel the same way which is why I transformed my SRT into a SRT "Classic" using American Racing Torq Thrust M Chrome wheels and a belt line stripe to help get it there. I think I'm pretty close now.
Yes you are :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never wanted this to be a pissing match between R/t guys and Classic guys ... Just saying that I would have liked to have had the option from the factory to have the old school Classic look with the SRT balls.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My Baby Boomer era father owned great MOPAR's growing up. Some of them he had when I was growing up, but the great stories of street racing in the early 70's with his Hemi fill my childhood memories. I was always jealous of him being able to walk into showrooms and drive out with a new GTX, Challenger, or Charger during the height of the musclecar era. I always asked him why he never kept them and his reply was, "They were used cars. We drove them hard and assumed we'd always be able to trade them in for something new and faster."

Fast forward to the second muscle-car epoch that we are living in now, and no car captured the essence of that era in my heart like the new Challenger. I resisted at first, but when Mopar released the R/T Classic in the legendary B5 blue of my youth ... I had to have one. I love the retro-vibe of the Classic. However, being performance minded, I was disappointed that the SRT wasn't available with the Classic package. Give me all of the performance improvements, with the Classic vibe and I am in! I often wondered why Chrysler didn't do that.

I'm sure over the next two or three years I will modify my Classic to meet the performance capabilities of the SRT ... But it would have been nice to have been able to just check a box.

P.S. .... Chrysler, don't do this now or I'll be forced to buy it.
I agree..... all along I had wanted a Classic in Black with the White R/T Stripes. I wasn't really interested in the SRT until I went to the dealer and they happened to have one of each on the lot so I drove them back to back starting with the Classic. After driving the SRT I decided I then had to have it. Even my wife who was with me at the time and was telling me all along that she just can not see the justification of the extra money that the SRT costs.....changed her mind after we test drove the SRT.

I still look at R/T Classics though with the nostalgic wheels and like them alot.

1,931 Posts
Never wanted this to be a pissing match between R/t guys and Classic guys ... Just saying that I would have liked to have had the option from the factory to have the old school Classic look with the SRT balls.
Just some friendly "smack" talk going on....but back on your subject I think SRTGTO hit the nail on the head....the SRT is a "new" model so there is nothing to make it look like a "classic SRT"...........maybe 30 years from now they will have an SRT classic option that has red brakes..:icon_smile:

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
never understood why you guys think the classic looks so much better. same car, different stripes, different wheels, same car.???????????????

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
never understood why you guys think the classic looks so much better. same car, different stripes, different wheels, same car.???????????????
Well, it's a personal thing, based on what one was "exposed" to in their youth. If folks don't understand, then they just don't relate to it, or "get it".

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think it is because the Classic just is that much closer looking to the original.....a nostalgic thing I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts