Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Challenger SRT, automatic, stock:

My only complaint with the car has been the lack of power from a dead stop, and/or, from 0-3500rpm. In the summer (80 degrees or up) when I floor it from a dead stop it responds with "You want me to do whuut?" I get that long delay, and grandpa car roll until it hits around 3-4 grand.

I've tried all the Predator settings, all the preferred gas brands, and a 180 thermostat with the same results. The only way I can do a burn out in the summer is if I power brake it. Sad. . .

With that said, for those of you that park your cars for the winter, you are really missing out on a treat! Anytime the temperature goes below (about) 55 degrees, the animal comes alive! From a dead stop, and even while rolling in 1st at any rpm, if I give it just a little more gas than "normal driving" I can feel the tires breaking free. Floor it, and they light up.

I know that part of it is the lack of traction due to the cool road. But, I've been playing with the throttle and when I keep giving it gas and keep it just on the verge of breaking free, I can feel that the car is simply making more power also. A lot more.

I've been dreaming of putting a supercharger on the car to give me that extra "from a dead stop"/low rpm shot of power, but if I could get the car to act the way it does below 55 degrees, during the summer, I wouldn't need it.

In the "winter" time, it has all the power I wanted it to have and I can "play" and get it just over the edge of squirrelly any time I want. It's a shame that the warm temperatures bog the engine down so much.

Just thought I'd share. . .

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Do you have the F1 tires the RSAs or something else on your car?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
you should install the 180 degree T-stat. that will keep the dreaded heat soak that effects these cars from rearing its ugly head down to a minimum.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
It would be interesting to have some dyno results to quantify just how much ambient temperature affects the engine output.

It would also be interesting to have some test results of just how temperature affects the traction of the F1s.

I've noticed the same "feeling" you describe but I mostly attributed it to the loss of traction on the F1s as the temperature goes down in vs an increase in engine output. Surely it is a combination of the two that produces the total effect, the question is how much does each contribute to the final result?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Engine heatsoak accounts for a loss of about 20 lbs/ft of torque. As mentioned, the 180 t-stat helps to keep temperatures about 25-30 degrees lower than stock. The 55 deg and lower is mainly because the filter is not sucking in that initial 5-6 seconds of engine heat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
09 Challenger SRT, automatic, stock:

My only complaint with the car has been the lack of power from a dead stop, and/or, from 0-3500rpm. In the summer (80 degrees or up) when I floor it from a dead stop it responds with "You want me to do whuut?" I get that long delay, and grandpa car roll until it hits around 3-4 grand.

I've tried all the Predator settings, all the preferred gas brands, and a 180 thermostat with the same results. The only way I can do a burn out in the summer is if I power brake it. Sad. . .

With that said, for those of you that park your cars for the winter, you are really missing out on a treat! Anytime the temperature goes below (about) 55 degrees, the animal comes alive! From a dead stop, and even while rolling in 1st at any rpm, if I give it just a little more gas than "normal driving" I can feel the tires breaking free. Floor it, and they light up.

I know that part of it is the lack of traction due to the cool road. But, I've been playing with the throttle and when I keep giving it gas and keep it just on the verge of breaking free, I can feel that the car is simply making more power also. A lot more.

I've been dreaming of putting a supercharger on the car to give me that extra "from a dead stop"/low rpm shot of power, but if I could get the car to act the way it does below 55 degrees, during the summer, I wouldn't need it.

In the "winter" time, it has all the power I wanted it to have and I can "play" and get it just over the edge of squirrelly any time I want. It's a shame that the warm temperatures bog the engine down so much.

Just thought I'd share. . .
You can really see how much more power there is before the engine gets to full operating temp while there is extra timing.

180 T stat and a good CAI will help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts