Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would an ecm from a srt make an rt run better? I know you would have to have the vin flashed in to it. Also has any one had b&g chrysler flash there ecm? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would an ecm from a srt make an rt run better? I know you would have to have the vin flashed in to it. Also has any one had b&g chrysler flash there ecm? Thanks
I'm speaking from my Charger experience and I assume the Challenger is no different. The SRT8 PCM wil not work on the R/T. Everything looks identical, but it's not. The wires are exactly the same inside the wiring harness but they go to different pins in the connectors. I have a wiring schematic for the Charger and on every page it has (except SRT8) in parenthesis. The SRT8 always has the same wires going to a different set of pins than on the R/T.

Why they did that beats the hell out of me. It makes no sense why they did that, but they did. The only way you could make it work is also buy the wiring harness. You could also get an electrical schematic and swap all the pin-outs in the connectors to match the SRT. If you did that I don't know if any dealer would flash the PCM for you. They would have to flash it as an SRT while entering an R/T vin code. I don't know if that's even possible.

If it were physically possible it may not be legally possible. You are tampering with the emissions equipment when you do this and everything the dealer does has to meet emissions standards/laws. I doubt anyone will help with this.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is it possible to run a non-vvt engine with an ecm out of a vvt equipped car?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Is it possible to stack 2 Tornado's in the stock intake?

·
Registered
266 Posts
They are completely different motors..............it just doesn't work that way. It's not a a SRT-4 with 3 ecu's for different stages etc.

If your are an enthusiast read up on the 6.1 and the 2009 + 5.7 engines.

If you want to go faster add a Diablo Predator and reprogram the engine that way.

FYI,
Marion

·
Registered
87 Posts
so no question is a valid question? nobody has ever put a 6.1 based engine in an R/T ever? And they would be retarded to think they might want to I suppose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
so no question is a valid question? nobody has ever put a 6.1 based engine in an R/T ever? And they would be retarded to think they might want to I suppose.
Lots of 5.7's have been swapped out for 6.1's, 6.4's, etc.... but, they all still use the 5.7 PCM. They just tweak the timing and fuel curves to meet the higher demands of the larger engine.

However, I forgot to mention the MOPAR Performance PCM for the R/T. If I recall correctly, it addresses this dilemma of wanting the SRT PCM in the R/T. I think they basically modified the SRT PCM so it will work in the R/T and accept the R/T vin code and wiring harness.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Lots of 5.7's have been swapped out for 6.1's, 6.4's, etc.... but, they all still use the 5.7 PCM. They just tweak the timing and fuel curves to meet the higher demands of the larger engine.

However, I forgot to mention the MOPAR Performance PCM for the R/T. If I recall correctly, it addresses this dilemma of wanting the SRT PCM in the R/T. I think they basically modified the SRT PCM so it will work in the R/T and accept the R/T vin code and wiring harness.:bigthumb:
I don't believe there is a Mopar performance PCM for the Challenger. With the Predator, no need for one anyway.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
i'm confused, can y'all go over that again? and please stop using letters like pcm and vvt, just sayin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i'm confused, can y'all go over that again? and please stop using letters like pcm and vvt, just sayin.
It's easier to just tell you what they stand for.

vvt is Variable Valve Timing. When someone talks about a 2009-newer 5.7 they are referencing a vvt motor. None of the 6.1's have vvt.

ECM and/or PCM is the Powertrain Control Module which is basically the engine computer (even though, it controls more than the engine). Some people reference this as the ECM which is short for Engine Control Module.

TCM stands for Transmission Control Module.

TIPM stands for Totally Integrated Power Module. It controls most of your electronic gadgets.

FSM stands for Front Side Module. It is the brains for the TIPM and plugs into the front of the TIPM (hence the name, Front Side Module).

MDS stands for Multi-Displacement System. Most 5.7's have this. No 6.1's have it.

Hope that helps you. Most of these performance and help threads/post involve a lot of these abreviations and it would take up too much space to have to type all of them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It's easier to just tell you what they stand for.

vvt is Variable Valve Timing. When someone talks about a 2009-newer 5.7 they are referencing a vvt motor. None of the 6.1's have vvt.

ECM and/or PCM is the Powertrain Control Module which is basically the engine computer (even though, it controls more than the engine). Some people reference this as the ECM which is short for Engine Control Module.

TCM stands for Transmission Control Module.

TIPM stands for Totally Integrated Power Module. It controls most of your electronic gadgets.

FSM stands for Front Side Module. It is the brains for the TIPM and plugs into the front of the TIPM (hence the name, Front Side Module).

MDS stands for Multi-Displacement System. Most 5.7's have this. No 6.1's have it.

Hope that helps you. Most of these performance and help threads/post involve a lot of these abreviations and it would take up too much space to have to type all of them.
The 5.7's have VCT not VVT. It's Variable Cam Timing. The VVT thing is a internet disinformation. The cam is changing advance and retard via the phasers.

FYI,
Marion

·
Registered
266 Posts

The 6.1 does NOT have VCT the 5.7 does. The tunes are completely different. Also there is no Mopar Perf ecu.

FYI,
Marion

1 - 14 of 14 Posts