Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Going to Dallas March 8th for my SRT Experience so does anyone know if there will be enough Challengers available? If I have to drive a Jeep, I'll just go to the hotel room, I hate the damn Jeeps don't even care if they are just as or faster than a Challenger I refuse to drive a jeep, call me crazy.............................................. I might down grade to a SRT Charger but no less...............

·
Registered
474 Posts
When I did the Experience in early 2011 the team brought all the cars with them - I.E., they transport the cars you will drive from venue to venue. They had 300 SRTs, Jeep SRTs, and Challenger SRTs. No Charger SRTs for the 2011 was not available at that the time I did the Experience. The Jeep will surprise you but it does plow in the road track course as does the Challenger. The 300 SRT actually did better in the road course based on my experience.

It is a fun and event packed day but at the Texas Motor Speedway the fastest you will get to drive is maybe 70. You will think you are going much faster but that was not my experience... the tracks used are simply too short at that venue to achieve high speeds but trust me, your abilities will be tested.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Just did this in November and yes they'll have all SRT vehicles, the Challenger, Charger, 300 and Jeep.
The cars randomly rotate so you just get what's up when it's your turn. Pretty much everyone there
agreed the Challengers although fun to drive handled the worst of the 4.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am going to the Dallas SRTTE on the 8th. Hope to see some of you there.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
You rotate through all cars, so you will drive a Jeep and be pleasantly surprised. I liked the Charger best overall. I would rate the day as just OK though. A lot of waiting for your turn. A lot like the drag strip... One run... wait... one run... wait... etc.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just did this in November and yes they'll have all SRT vehicles, the Challenger, Charger, 300 and Jeep.
The cars randomly rotate so you just get what's up when it's your turn. Pretty much everyone there
agreed the Challengers although fun to drive handled the worst of the 4.
I was there in November as well and thats an interesting perspective. I thought the Challenger was the strongest and the 300 the weakest. I know the individuals I spoke with while there agreed.

To the OP, the Jeep was awesome. I thoroughly enjoyed driving it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
SRT experience Dallas

David
you will rotate through the SRT8 line up (no Viper) and i think you will be pleasantly surprised by the jeep. While Dodge does a great job to provide you a good experience, you will also notice there lots of people at the event. By the way, i think you will be driving faster than 70MPH...probably around 100+MPH but there will be a company driver that will pace the group when you get to take the car solo and he will set the speed. The drivers and staff are super nice and are well trained in customer service... There will be a breakfast and a BBQ type lunch...plenty of food and soft drinks. Also they will have SRT shirts and other stuff for sale and a little goodie bag for attending. You will get to do a road course in small teams and then move to the open track....it was fun but please don't imagine some sort of NASCAR experience its not but for a FREE event it is well planned...they provide helmets and a small little helmet liner. the open track is just a smaller track NOT the actual big track. they will have an ambulance and firetruck...the drive is more to show the drivers how well the car handles and they handle superb. It is a stock car, maybe with Mopar exhaust with tires aired up quite a bit higher than 32lbs. there will be some zig zags, figure 8's....i think you will notice that a few laps at high speeds will tax your body (if you are an older guy its even worse).....and you will feel like you had plenty of drive time

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sound like fun!

I guess it sounds like fun to me, I would have loved to be able to go on the big track and run the crap out of their cars but, I'm sure that whatever they have available will be "almost" just as fun!
I'm looking forward to it i'll tell you that!

David

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I will be there with my friend Jake on the 8th as well, see you guys there!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I will be attending on the 9th.

Eric, IDK if you plan to come through El Paso, but maybe you, dave and i can make it a trip? Dave and I are both from El Paso.

My plan is to leave around 1 pm from El Paso on Friday the 7th.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My ex-wife got my reservations done!

I have an ex-wife in Dallas and she did my reservations for my flight and hotel yesterday!
(kind of wish that I knew where my other ex-wife is) anyway she will pick me up at the airport and take me out to Pappadeaux (my favorite) and to my hotel real close to the track but I will be at the track at 8:00 on the 8th. We could get together and go out for a few cold ones on Saturday night!

David

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I did the Fort Worth SRT Experience back in 2008, it'll be one of the best days of your life as far as doing something "car related".

First we did the Drag Strip with all of the SRT8's, you rotate through all of them. Trust me, the SRT Jeep will kick all of their butts on the Drag Strip.

Next we did the Autocross in the SRT4 Calibers, those were a blast, cracked me up watching some of the guys not knowing how to drive a stick trying to Autocross them. Once we were done with them, they said we could take one of those big ass Jeeps through the Autocross if we wanted. Blew my mind when the Jeep was a second quicker on the tight course than the smaller SRT4 Caliber.

Next we got to drive Vipers on the skid pad, basically sliding them through cones and had to stop in a box, that was a blast.

Finally we went to the Road Race Course with the SRT4 Calibers and all of the SRT8 cars, no Jeeps though. Two drivers in matching cars followed an instructor, and he would watch in the mirror and would speed up once he felt comfortable that both could keep up. You could swap out into any of the cars you wanted each lap, they really want for you to drive them all. (Here's a tip, figure out which of your class mates can really drive, and pair up with them. If you get stuck with a slow poke, you'll get bumbed out after a few laps, but you can swap partners). Once I hooked up with a faster partner, we were easily topping 125 mph at the end of the front straight away. Also, I brought my wife with me and she got to ride shotgun all day with the instructors, no problem.

After we did the Road Race, the instructors got out on the Road Race Course with Vipers and Jeeps. The Vipers would leave them on the straights, but when they got to the corners, the Jeeps would reel them in every time, the Jeeps are amazing vehicles, definitely made a believer out of me that day.

After that, the instructors pulled out 5 SRT8 Chargers and put us in the shotgun seats, turned off the traction control completely, and we went drifting around the course, full speed, full smoke just 5 feet from each other. That was an insane way to end the day.

Trust me, you will walk away with a totally new perspective of the SRT Jeeps, as well as the rest of the SRT's. The Challenger might be the best looking of them, but it's not the best car in many categories.

Have a blast,
-Lance

Road Race Course:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I will be attending on the 9th.

Eric, IDK if you plan to come through El Paso, but maybe you, dave and i can make it a trip? Dave and I are both from El Paso.

My plan is to leave around 1 pm from El Paso on Friday the 7th.
A caravan would be fun, but I am flying to Dallas and staying at my friend's place. After the day at the track, we were going to go to Gas Monkey Bar/Grill(ever watch Fast 'n Loud?) and get some food and brews, the more the merrier!

David, I hope you didn't take my comments about your exhaust tips personally, I would like to see them in person.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dave they split the groups up now and run half on the autocross and half on the track then in the afternoon they do track and head to head (but not on a drag strip a small autocross type route). There are no 6 speeds everything is automatic and on my video we reached speeds of 120 at road Atlanta. It was a fantastic time. I actually found the 300 to be the most impressive of the bunch after the Challenger. The Jeep did nothing for me and the Charger makes me say meh. Thats my 39 cents. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
"Gas Monkey" Hell yes!

A caravan would be fun, but I am flying to Dallas and staying at my friend's place. After the day at the track, we were going to go to Gas Monkey Bar/Grill(ever watch Fast 'n Loud?) and get some food and brews, the more the merrier!

David, I hope you didn't take my comments about your exhaust tips personally, I would like to see them in person.
I like the show and I would love to get me a Tee shirt, I really do what to go there!!!!!
I'm really excited now that everyone has posted all this good info! Can't wait to tear it up!

I told a friend that the first time that I get behind the wheel I was going to tell the instructor that "I've been dignosed with a terminal illness and that I have nothing to lose so buckle up cause I just don't give a crap! So do you want to stay or get the hell out! your choice" LOL

I wish you could hear my 5" tail pipes the sound is just "bad-ass" of course with the resonator deletes! I don't think there is a better sound than that the stock mufflers do not need to be replaced at all.
And a hell of alot cheaper than the expense of after market units.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So then, lets do it............

I have heard Dave's exhaust and it sounds really good.

I would be up for a Grease Monkey dinner.
I'm up for it, lets see if we can get a group together so we can all have a good time, I'm the type that no matter what, "I" have a blast in any situation! My wife tell me that the drunker I get, the louder I get and I tell her that I just want to make sure that everyone hears me, what is the problem with that? Good thing she is staying home!

David

1 - 20 of 45 Posts