Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally figured out how to reset my gas mileage to zero. Ha, I've only had the car 4 months. I punched the reset button, and for about 20 miles, I was tooling along at about 50 or 55 mph, stopping a couple times at traffic lights. Temp was about 72 or so. But I couldn't believe that the car was getting 31 mpg. You've got to be kidding me. I've got a 2015 SRT392 A8 with 18k miles on the clock.

I had no idea this car was capable of that kind of mileage.

Fast forward another 20 miles, with a lot more stop and go, and I was still showing 26 mpg. Pretty amazing for a day's worth of driving.

Makes me wonder what kind of experience other SRT's or Scat Packs are getting...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty awesome on MPGs if you're NOT in traffic or the city. The only thing I don't like about that gauge is that there's no way to tell what the average over the life of the car is. THAT would be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty awesome on MPGs if you're NOT in traffic or the city. The only thing I don't like about that gauge is that there's no way to tell what the average over the life of the car is. THAT would be interesting.
If you don't reset your Trip "B" computer, for example, it will show cumulative miles, hours and avg. MPG

I use mine as a re-set between maintenance intervals in case it may call for an oil change sooner than the 6K (392 and Hellcat engines) is called for.

·
Registered
391 Posts
For highway cruising set at 75 mph, I average about 24.5 in my SRT. Pretty amazing considering the weight of this car!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, because I didn't know how to reset it, it showed an average of 15 !/2 mpg over several thousand miles, beginning long before I bought it. Also showed that the previous owner did some serious G's in acceleration, braking, and cornering. Never realized that readout this was actually a great way to check and see how aggressive the former owner was. This would have been a good tool to view when I was making my decision at the dealership. The only clue I had was the extreme wear on the front disks. I'm not complaining, the car runs just great and will enjoy being babied from now on.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you don't reset your Trip "B" computer, for example, it will show cumulative miles, hours and avg. MPG

I use mine as a re-set between maintenance intervals in case it may call for an oil change sooner than the 6K (392 and Hellcat engines) is called for.
There's a trip A and B??? I need to play around with my gauges a little more. Something I've not paid any attention to. Typically, I get in, roll down the windows, and just enjoy the symphony of that amazing engine.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
There's a trip A and B??? I need to play around with my gauges a little more. Something I've not paid any attention to. Typically, I get in, roll down the windows, and just enjoy the symphony of that amazing engine.

Are you trying to say that neither one of us has used our Launch control? Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Are you trying to say that neither one of us has used our Launch control? Anyone else?
I've never used the launch control. Or the G thing, or the 0-60 thing, or the quarter mile thing. Or any other performance testing stuff. I just drive the car, usually like an old man. Plus, since I spent most of the summer fighting with FCA about my transmission, I don't need them seeing any perceived abuse recorded by the car.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I've never used the launch control. Or the G thing, or the 0-60 thing, or the quarter mile thing. Or any other performance testing stuff. I just drive the car, usually like an old man. Plus, since I spent most of the summer fighting with FCA about my transmission, I don't need them seeing any perceived abuse recorded by the car.
The G thing is fun. You don't do anything. Just watch to car turn as you do. If you are sitting there stopped and a wind comes by it will register. That is way cool! Although I don't "use" it either. Try driving around in G and watch the car.
It is fun. For a while. I too am older......60. I would rather just drive it and spin the tires every now and now.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure I use launch control all the time. It's called R-E-S-T-R-A-I-N-T. Every launch is under control. There are no tickets on this license and it's more likely than not that there never will be.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Sure I use launch control all the time. It's called R-E-S-T-R-A-I-N-T. Every launch is under control. There are no tickets on this license and it's more likely than not that there never will be.
I did say neither one of us (that's me and you) I am just apprehensive about using it. Tickets is why the Lord invented Lawyers. (necessary evil I guess) We don't use it for different reasons. That's OK! Restraint for me is picking my spots.
Haven't had a ticket in over 25 years. As far as I can remember.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The G thing is fun... if you are sitting there stopped and a wind comes by it will register...
I've got a built in "G thing" as you put it. Dad always had these little stuffed animals sitting on his dashboard. He used to talk to them while he was driving. Dad was a hoot. One day we were perusing some little stuffed souvenir animals at Sea World. He asked why I didn't have one in my car. That day, dad bought me a little stuffed polar bear... about the size of a baseball. Though dad's been gone for 7 years, that little bear's lived on the dashboards of 6 vehicles; his new home is my Challenger. That said, whenever I generate too many G's, he goes sliding. So I've got very consistent and visible G meter: my little buddy keeps an eye on my driving.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I've got a built in "G thing" as you put it. Dad always had these little stuffed animals sitting on his dashboard. He used to talk to them while he was driving. Dad was a hoot. One day we were perusing some little stuffed souvenir animals at Sea World. He asked why I didn't have one in my car. That day, dad bought me a little stuffed polar bear... about the size of a baseball. Though dad's been gone for 7 years, that little bear's lived on the dashboards of 6 vehicles; his new home is my Challenger. That said, whenever I generate too many G's, he goes sliding. So I've got very consistent and visible G meter: my little buddy keeps an eye on my driving.

Perhaps the best barometer! It is just fun watching the car turn when you do and such. For a few minutes at least.
Maybe one day...... when you do remember I said it was fun!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Couple of months after I got the car.

This car's only weakness is traffic, stop signs, and traffic lights.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Couple of months after I got the car.

This car's only weakness is traffic, stop signs, and traffic lights.
Yep, I got similar numbers. A whole different animal on the highway too! Really makes you want to lay into it!!!!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Yep, I got similar numbers. A whole different animal on the highway too! Really makes you want to lay into it!!!!
Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about.

:burnout:

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yeah, I have no idea what you're talking about.

:burnout:

Many of us may having a hard time remembering these days...........but we ALL remember what you just done! LOL!
I guess you never did mention burnout in your 134 mph throttle run..........on the highway.............in Mexico on a deserted road.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Many of us may having a hard time remembering these days...........but we ALL remember what you just done! LOL!
I guess you never did mention burnout in your 134 mph throttle run..........on the highway.............in Mexico on a deserted road.
No burnout, I don't have the money for tires before the rain season, lol.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I dont know how you guys are getting that gas milage. I average about 12 mpg. But it might be because of my Ununhexium foot.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts