Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking up info on the header swap and just need more on information on what I need to buy. I have the headers I don’t know what else I need to buy some people have told me they for 17+ year models I only need to swap the headers and that the kids should connect. Can someone clarify on this and also list why other parts I need. Thank you

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
I have been looking up info on the header swap and just need more on information on what I need to buy. I have the headers I don’t know what else I need to buy some people have told me they for 17+ year models I only need to swap the headers and that the kids should connect. Can someone clarify on this and also list why other parts I need. Thank you
I believe you need a dipstick and tube from any of the SRT/Scat pack cars. 2017+ have 2.75" exhaust so yea you should be fine. Also use exhaust gaskets from one of the SRT cars

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe you need a dipstick and tube from any of the SRT/Scat pack cars. 2017+ have 2.75" exhaust so yea you should be fine. Also use exhaust gaskets from one of the SRT cars
Ok thanks do you know if I can just buy this stuff from the mopar website or if I have to go to a dealer

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
I'd try rockauto or one of the Mopar part dealers like moparpartsgiant or something like that. Also Stevewhiteparts. He has a discount code CHA1 for 6% off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd try rockauto or one of the Mopar part dealers like moparpartsgiant or something like that. Also Stevewhiteparts. He has a discount code CHA1 for 6% off.
By dipstick and tube you are referring to the oil dip stick right? I just want to know what the dip stick is needed for?

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
By dipstick and tube you are referring to the oil dip stick right? I just want to know what the dip stick is needed for?
Yea engine oil dipstick

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
499 Posts
BAM wholesale has very good prices as well.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Yea engine oil dipstick
You will need the dipstick and tube. I have one off a 392 which I never installed when I put LT headers on mine never got a chance to compare the 5.7 and 6.4 to make sure the oil line locations were identical.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
561 Posts
So 17+ R/T's use the same head pipe as a Scat Pack? I know those year R/T's got a larger exhaust pipe system, but I thought the flanges on the head pipes were clocked differently between a 5.7 and 6.4 resulting in having to buy both the manifold and the head pipe to do the swap.

Or am I misunderstanding the OP?

·
Super Moderator
15,766 Posts
So 17+ R/T's use the same head pipe as a Scat Pack? I know those year R/T's got a larger exhaust pipe system, but I thought the flanges on the head pipes were clocked differently between a 5.7 and 6.4 resulting in having to buy both the manifold and the head pipe to do the swap.

Or am I misunderstanding the OP?
the cat-back portion of a '17+ 5.7 exhaust is more similar to the 392 and HC 6.2 with the larger pipes and AES system.

However - the 5.7 manifolds and their flanges are different from the SRT shortys. If you look up the part #s, the 5.7s use different cats / mid pipes than the SRT engines.

·
Super Moderator
15,766 Posts
For the OP - if you're putting these on a '15+ 5.7 and you have the A8 transmission - you'll want to get the '15+ SRT shortys plus the A8 version.

The engine starter is moved to the left side (driver's) of engine whereas on the M6 versions, the starter is on the right side of the engine as it was from '09 - '14 for all engines back then.

the starter was relocated due to the space limitations and the larger dimensions of the A8 transmission for all the A8 applications for V8 engines

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
I think the X-pipe connection to the mid pipes on the +2017 RTs goes from 2.5" to 2.75". That is according to the guys at AWE as they told me that is the difference between their 6.2/6.4 (goes from 2.75" to 2.75") and the 5.7 H-pipe.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
561 Posts
For the OP - if you're putting these on a '15+ 5.7 and you have the A8 transmission - you'll want to get the '15+ SRT shortys plus the A8 version.

The engine starter is moved to the left side (driver's) of engine whereas on the M6 versions, the starter is on the right side of the engine as it was from '09 - '14 for all engines back then.

the starter was relocated due to the space limitations and the larger dimensions of the A8 transmission for all the A8 applications for V8 engines
Interesting. Didn't know that the starter swapped sides between the M6 and A8.

Are the manifolds different between a 2015 M6 and A8 car <<No>>? Or did they standardize the manifolds and vary the head pipes depending on the transmission <<Yes>>?

Edit -

Certainly not definitive, but it appears there is only 2 manifolds (1 LH, 1 RH) for a 2015 Challenger, but 4 mid pipes (2 LH, 2 RH). Didn't see any specs to say what was different about the mid pipes, but best guess says they are different based on transmission.

·
Registered
596 Posts
You will need the 6.4 mid pipes to use the 6.4 exhaust manifolds on a 2015 up 5.7 car . and you will need a 3 in to 2.5 reducer to mate with the stock 5.7 exhaust .

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
564 Posts
You will need the 6.4 mid pipes to use the 6.4 exhaust manifolds on a 2015 up 5.7 car . and you will need a 3 in to 2.5 reducer to mate with the stock 5.7 exhaust .
He's a 17+ so im pretty sure he has 2.75"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts