Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would be a better setup in terms of performance? I dont have any plans to do any internal engine modifications or a blower.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Long tubes will generally yield more HP.

SRT manifolds will generally yield more ground clearance.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Long tubes headers will out flow SRT manifolds, and provide more power plain and simple. They also pay bigger benefits as you add further modifications as well.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
long tubes will gain you more in upper rpm torque..
if you don't plan on doing anything with your car.. tuff call

reason i say that is. it takes about the same amount of work to put either on. i have done it and to be honest.. i don't want to do it again.. and that is with a car on my car lift. so i guess it depends.. if you are doing it yourself. i would only do it once. i you have the coin do the long tubes.. like i said.. it is a pain either way. you need to take the motor mounts out and shift the motor over side to side.. that makes it a ton easier.

but with long tubes comes other issues's. you need a tuner and have a custom tune done as it changes the air fuel to a leaner condition.. a tuner will have to change the tune for your car.

you will want to decide if you want high flow cats or catless mids.. you have to do one or the other with long tubes. no way around it.
so.. long tubes. if you install price will break down about like this.

for the headers i will uses say kooks, tti, or american racing.
figure with o2 extensions on both sides 1500 for the headers.

midpipes 550-700 depending on cat or catless.

tune ( have to do ) 200-500 depending on who you use.

take in mind these are high numbers. but that is a realistic pricing.
oh and you need MOPAR ONLY BRAND GASKETS.. think they run 50 -100 bucks

if you can find some used srt shorty headers you can get them for around 250-300 and you need the catted mid pipes either srt factory or find like some HIGH FLOW ones from magnaflow or solo ect.

what i don't know is the sizing.. i understand that the rt cars have smaller exhaust..

so think hard.. if you do it yourself you don't want to do it more than once. trust me.

chris

·
Registered
698 Posts
Crazy talk as usual with factory parts. They pretty much suck all around in terms of better, lighter, and yield more hp. I bet that my jba shorty headers for my r/t yield more hp and are way better than factory srt8 ones hands down. The only reason anyone buys them is because the srt8 guys remove them for guess what, better ones. As far as performance anything aftermarket will yield more hp because that's what they were designed to do.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Kooks long tubes for sure. Wouldn't pick anything else IMO

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a set of srt 8 headers and catted mids I would sell you for 400 dollars plus shipping from Mt you would probably lose some low end torque with long tubes on a stock 5.7

·
Registered
382 Posts
Crazy talk as usual with factory parts. They pretty much suck all around in terms of better, lighter, and yield more hp. I bet that my jba shorty headers for my r/t yield more hp and are way better than factory srt8 ones hands down. The only reason anyone buys them is because the srt8 guys remove them for guess what, better ones. As far as performance anything aftermarket will yield more hp because that's what they were designed to do.
How many times have you seen "SRT8" guys replace their exhaust manifolds with shorty headers??? They are replacing their exhaust manifolds with long tubes.

I had 6.4 headers/mids on my 09, prior to trading it in I talked to API about a build, they told me their was no real performance gain to be had going with JBA shorties when I already had the SRT setup... yeah the salesman was talking me out of spending additional money... that alone tells me everything I need to know.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The only reason I took off my srt headers is because my engine has several mods and a supercharger. Show me some dyno results on the difference between srt headers and long tubes on a stock 5.7 and make me a believer.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Show me some dyno results on the difference between srt headers and long tubes on a stock 5.7 and make me a believer.
Thanks for the voice of reason.

Here's some old school for ya. Used to be the 440 guys would almost instantly pull the cast iron HP exhaust manifolds in favor of headers. As dynos became more accessible over the years it was realized that the cast iron manifolds actually made more horsepower.

Now if you're doing a resto those HP manifolds are crazy $ because so many got trashed.

·
Registered
698 Posts
my jba shorties got me from 355 to 372 at the wheels and I am almost at 400 on the torq side. I think it was 392. Granted some of this was tuning but in all pretty solid numbers. I doubt I could have gotten that out of srt8 manifolds. Which was the point I was trying to make. Yes I am aware long tubes would yield the most power. And if I had a chance to do it again I would go that route. I originally didn't want the car any louder but on a side note I now added catless mids. I doubt it can get much louder than that lol.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks for the voice of reason.

Here's some old school for ya. Used to be the 440 guys would almost instantly pull the cast iron HP exhaust manifolds in favor of headers. As dynos became more accessible over the years it was realized that the cast iron manifolds actually made more horsepower.

Now if you're doing a resto those HP manifolds are crazy $ because so many got trashed.

Hmm. I 've restored an old 440-6 motor, and it made more power on an engine dyno with headers.

Not trying to make a convert of you, but as part of a balanced discussion thought I would chime in with my experience.

Every car I have put headers on has made more power. Whether or not it was worth the money is another conversation.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After reading your posts and some additional research, I think I will go with long tubes just in case I decide to go heavy on the mods down the road.

·
Registered
636 Posts
After reading your posts and some additional research, I think I will go with long tubes just in case I decide to go heavy on the mods down the road.
Good call!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hmm. I 've restored an old 440-6 motor, and it made more power on an engine dyno with headers.

Not trying to make a convert of you, but as part of a balanced discussion thought I would chime in with my experience.

Every car I have put headers on has made more power. Whether or not it was worth the money is another conversation.
It would be fairly easy to "cook the books" in a headers vs. manifold shoot out but just selecting a camshaft with a bunch of overlap. The high overlap cam will do pretty good with headers on a dyno but would be a real dog with the more restrictive regular manifolds.

I'd say it would also be fairly easy to take the same identical engine and only change the camshaft and have a completely different test result. I do however have experience with resto motors, and I know Tom at Accurate Exhaust will tell you the same as my experience.

At the end of the day we both know that any engine is just a big air pump, so it's all about efficiency for the given build. That's why I hate the blanket "X is always mo' better" because that's not always the case.

Not even going into all the issues there are with headers - rusting, fit, performance, accessibility, ease of installation, etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Give HHP a call, they can answer all your questions no matter how small they are, and they are always friendly, and have free shipping. ask for Josh hes the owner. they are who i buy all my stuff from. www.highhorseperformance.com
their phone number is (888) 894-1115, i am not paid by them and i do not work for them, just my .02 they are a great company

·
Registered
947 Posts
The SRT8 headers have been proven to be equal to shorties. That's the key reason why the SRT guys never go with aftermarket shorties.........no gains. Only long tubes show gains for SRTs.

In fact, there are some advantages with the SRT headers over shorties: They have built in heat shields, you know they are gonna fit (no quality issues), they are cheaper, and the SRT mids are bigger.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ended up buying a pair of JBA long tubes from Amazon today. Had some Amazon credit from trade-ins, so I got them for about $160 shipped lol. Just have to pick up mid pipes. Will install them in the spring.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I ended up buying a pair of JBA long tubes from Amazon today. Had some Amazon credit from trade-ins, so I got them for about $160 shipped lol. Just have to pick up mid pipes. Will install them in the spring.

Thanks for the help everyone!
There's a set of brand new JBA mid pipes for LT headers on one of the LX forums Facebook pages.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts