Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing that the new top shelf '15 R/T is pretty much an SRT8.Does anyone think that maybe the new SRT8 is going to be the SRT Hellcat?

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Greed can ruin a good thing. All dodge needs is enough cars to sit unsold and them some suit will say there is no demand for these cars and pull the plug.
People with big money don't buy Dodge cars so anyone who keeps saying a $70,000 + challenger will still sell out is crazy.
If I am wrong why aren't all the Vipers already sold? People with stupid money aren't stupid. They need to perceive value in what they buy.
Guys with big money are buying the Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, AMG'S and other supercars.

·
Registered
40 Posts
$70k is not $120k. Many of these discussions seem to tie Viper sales to the Hellcat. A $70k car is within the realm of possibility for many people. Crossing the $100k barrier is not only financially difficult for the average joe but it also crosses a magical psychological line. Comparing Vipers to Challengers is a specious argument.

My dealer has deposits on Hellcats even though the car is still a rumor. A Viper is not a daily driver but the Hellcat sure could be. Camaros are selling, GT 500's are selling, and all for a comparable dollar, and I would argue that the Challenger is a more appealing ride for husbands trying to justify to wives. A Cherokee SRT is priced at a similar price point and you cant find one on a lot up here.

They will sell. They will sell well.

For full transparency, I am on the list at my dealer for a Hellcat.:)

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Good for you!

But the OPs inference is that Hellcat would become the next SRT.

500 Hellcats/year is one thing; 2,500 Hellcats is really pushing it. Even for a Mopar fan like myself.

My hypothesis with Viper is that stripping it off a brand is not helping. When it was a Dodge, whether people loved or hated Dodge, at least they knew what it was. Now, they are asked to bring not $95,000, but $120,000, for a...SR-what Viper?

The more money people pay, the more they want in return. Viper went up in price a LOT: for the additional money, you get better styling and that's it. You can get traction control and fine interior materials in any $100,000 car; you get more heritage with a Porsche; and now you can get 600 HP in Shelby or a Camaro.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Dodge is branding the SRT as a separate recognizable brand. For that reason I would agree that the Hellcat will be the new Challenger line SRT. What that would mean is unclear. At some point there becomes to many Challenger choices in the market, essentially diluting the strength of the entire model line. I am unsure of the sales numbers but Dodge has been attempting to maximize profits on the design by offering a "muscle car" in a 6 cylinder. What will hurt Hellcat sales is that the model may not be differentiated in the market so my $75k Hellcat could be confused with an SXT. Of all the arguments for potentially poor sales, I would offer that this may be the strongest.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Dude, you got that completely ass backwards!

In the cold business of automobiles, it is the mid-trim levels where profits are maximized by multiplying per-unit margin X units sold.

Challenger justifies its existence by selling TONS of R/Ts. SRT brings emotion and halo to the name (thanks to suckers like us with more money than brains), and SXT offers a more rational decision to those who want the looks but don't care for crummy MPG, insurance rates and payments. The only reason SRT exists is to sell more R/Ts...!

R/T is where everything needs to come together perfectly: it brings the bacon, pays the bills and keeps the lights on at the plant, and is where the Challenger name needs to be anchored to remain successful for decades to come. Not SRT, and certainly not Hellcat.

Enthusiasts are a bunch of addicts, and the only way to keep interest in this segment is with the Big 3 keep injecting more power and excitement into it. The danger is that Dodge starts believing its own cr*p, and chases Ford and GM at the top-end neglecting the heart of the lineup. But if one were to go by the NY Auto Show: 2015 launched as an expanded R/T, and now has R/T fans drooling. This signals that Dodge gets it.

·
Registered
196 Posts

In the mean business of automobiles, it is the mid-trim levels where profits are maximized by multiplying per-unit margin X units sold.

Challenger justifies its existence by selling TONS of R/Ts. SRT brings emotion and halo to the name (thanks to suckers like us with more money than brains), and SXT offers a more rational decision to those who want the looks but don't care for crummy MPG, insurance rates and payments. The only reason SRT exists is to sell more R/Ts...!

R/T is where everything needs to come together perfectly: it brings the bacon, pays the bills and keeps the lights on at the plant, and is where the Challenger name needs to be anchored to remain successful for decades to come. Not SRT, and certainly not Hellcat.

The danger is that Dodge starts believing its own cr*p, and chases Ford and GM at the top-end neglecting the heart of the lineup. But if one were to go by the NY Auto Show: 2015 launched as an expanded R/T, and now has R/T fans drooling. This signals that Dodge gets it.
You nailed it ALDO BABY ! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
710 Posts
$70k is not $120k. Many of these discussions seem to tie Viper sales to the Hellcat. A $70k car is within the realm of possibility for many people. Crossing the $100k barrier is not only financially difficult for the average joe but it also crosses a magical psychological line. Comparing Vipers to Challengers is a specious argument.

My dealer has deposits on Hellcats even though the car is still a rumor. A Viper is not a daily driver but the Hellcat sure could be. Camaros are selling, GT 500's are selling, and all for a comparable dollar, and I would argue that the Challenger is a more appealing ride for husbands trying to justify to wives. A Cherokee SRT is priced at a similar price point and you cant find one on a lot up here.

They will sell. They will sell well.

For full transparency, I am on the list at my dealer for a Hellcat.:)
I agree to a point but the early Rumors were if they build it it was going to be 70K, now that the news is out and real about all the new models especially the 392 R/T which is basically a rebadged SRT with 15 more HP ( they must have added a CAI or a bigger throttle body to get that neck breaking 15 hp addition, wow can't wait to feel it) the new rumor is that it will be closer in price to the Viper than you think, You brought up the Cherokee SRT, check the production numbers on them, thats why you can't find them, there is always a couple people that will buy these overpriced offerings and thank god there is because usually a couple years later you can pick one up for half the price with low pampered miles. As for Dealers having deposits on these cars, I think that is BS, I have a working relationship with my dealer and when we discussed this his response was any reputable dealer would not and really cannot take a deposit on a if they build it situation, if they take a deposit they need solid info in order to process it, like pricing, options, weather it's going to be a Dodge or an SRT brand or whatever, Chrysler has not even told it's dealers what it's doing, so if you have a bonified deposit on a maybe you have basically given your dealer your money to use for as long as he can keep the mystery going. Would you please Post a picture of your Sales order for your Hellcat showing your deposit and let us know if you have received your VON number or VIN. If you don't we will just figure your name is on a salesmans list like all of ours is that when the salesman gets confirmation and pricing he will call us. I don't really get it, the way some people perceive this so call Hellcat is like it's a supercar, it's just a 2015 Challenger that they are probably going to take the Dodge name off of and put a supercharger and high price on it. They will call it an SRT Brand and the HP is still gonna be less than others out there not to mention handling, this car is not going to ever compete on a road course like the ZL1, Shelby, ZR1 or Viper can to justify the price + all of us with 392's can toss a supercharger on with some forged pistons and a couple more upgrades and blow the doors off a Hellcat or for now maybe we should call it a ghost which I can beat now with no upgrades. All you need to do is look at what the aftermarket is now doing with the 392, depending on how far you want to go, 1000hp is attainable and the car is still streetable on pump gas and the top builders in this hp war are offering warrantee's which in some cases are better than Chrysler.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
SRT will be it's own brand. That is why the RT/392 is made starting in 2015. All dealers will not sell SRT only certain dealers will sell the SRT brand.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I am still not sold on SRT being a separate "brand".

Don't get me wrong, I've bought too many SRTs to start blushing now. But I buy an SRT within the context of the Chrysler/Dodge heritage and history that comes with it. The SRT badge just proves to me that this the best Ma Mopar can build.

The SRT name by itself had little meaning to me. And I suspect many Viper shoppers are finding the same.

Come on Marcionne, you are smarter than that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I should clarify. My comments regarding poor potential sales were directed to the Hellcat specifically. I agree that the meat of the market are RT sales. My point was why would I want a Hellcat in my driveway when my neighbors 16 year old daughter has an SXT parked beside mind and looks virtually identical. At the potential price point (75k and up), high end buyers want individuality, not sameness.

If the price of the Hellcat nears Viper prices then the Hellcat is DOA.

Either way it makes for interesting discussion.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Dodge just needs to make ALL Challengers look equally HAWT, that's all :D

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The Model lineup posted shows a 392 SRT and a 392 SRT Premium in the line up. Non supercharged.

Hellcat will probably be a special edition.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Srt being a separate brand? It's a laughable. Do they have their own dealers, cars, capital? The only reason is that they can bump the price on the higher trims. As we saw with the vipers. I think it's backfiring. Big mistake. They're depended on Chrysler. The srt brand is all over the place. No brand clarity. Confusing.
Now the right way is to do it like AMG, M, nismo and etc.
"Powered by srt" is more like it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts

In the cold business of automobiles, it is the mid-trim levels where profits are maximized by multiplying per-unit margin X units sold.

Enthusiasts are a bunch of addicts, and the only way to keep interest in this segment is with the Big 3 keep injecting more power and excitement into it. The danger is that Dodge starts believing its own cr*p, and chases Ford and GM at the top-end neglecting the heart of the lineup. But if one were to go by the NY Auto Show: 2015 launched as an expanded R/T, and now has R/T fans drooling. This signals that Dodge gets it.
Exactly! And for CAFE regs as well as to keep values high they don't want to produce 10,000 Jeep SRTs or 10,000 Hellcats, they are perfectly fine to keep it limited production, keep demand in line, keep precise up and residuals up as well which adds value to the consumer as well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I should clarify. My comments regarding poor potential sales were directed to the Hellcat specifically. I agree that the meat of the market are RT sales. My point was why would I want a Hellcat in my driveway when my neighbors 16 year old daughter has an SXT parked beside mind and looks virtually identical. At the potential price point (75k and up), high end buyers want individuality, not sameness.

If the price of the Hellcat nears Viper prices then the Hellcat is DOA.

Either way it makes for interesting discussion.
I see what your saying, agree to an extent, and buyers do want some individuality, but how many cars in the price point say 65k-80k really have that? You usually have to go higher to get that true individuality. Look at the new M cars and AMGs you can get them now with M sport package or AMG package. Go look at a E350 then a E63 they don't look that different same with BMW, Audi, Cadillac is moving towards that, and so on. Its rather subtle changes exterior wise that separate those cars, and the SXT and Hellcat well probably be the similar. (though I think for car enthusiast it'll be pretty obvious that its a Hellcat not a base challenger.) I also don't think a guy looking at cars in 65k-80k bracket are suddenly jumping up to cars that are 120k+ and comparing, just like guys looking 120K+or more are thinking maybe ill save some cash and get a 70K car!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
So my question is: Can you buy a RAM truck at a Dodge dealer? If you can (Not sure, I haven't been to the dealership in a while) I would suspect that you can also buy an SRT vehicle at the same dealership since the concept is the same with branding.

They will need to make the non-hellcat SRT worth the extra $$ to buy over the new R/T.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Dont care what its called, All I know is I'm sick and tired of waiting for it. How longs it gonna take Dodge? GET. IT. DONE.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
People with big money don't buy Dodge cars so anyone who keeps saying a $70,000 + challenger will still sell out is crazy.
Shelby GT500. When those things first came out with the new 5.8 662hp engine they were marking them up to 90K here in Charlotte and selling them.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts