Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
My main thought is that Dodge has something BIG planned for the SRT line Challenger. There's a delay for a reason.

Dodge isn't dumb, they know not to blur the lines too much between the different trim levels. With the R/T scat pack getting a 392, I believe the premium SRT is going to get something better. Much better.

Just as the new R/T is making it's fan base drool, I would bet a paycheck the new SRT model is going to have current SRT owners salivating as well.

Well played Dodge, well played.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Now we just need to know when they will let the cat out of the bag?!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes...they'er catering to the R/T now. All the options are available including the big 6.4. I think the SRT will be a stand alone model. The only thing I like out of this is that maybe with the shaker option on the 6.4 scat pack there might be some hope that Mopar Performance might offer a shaker package for us 11-14 SRT owners.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not necessarily. But I don't consider the mustang a muscle car either. But it's all good.

Giles did mention it would have more horsepower than the viper, supposedly.
Hmmmm. If the Shelby isn't a muscle car, what is it? I don't mean to be argumentative...... Just kind of surprised to hear you say this. If it's a pony car and not a muscle car, isn't the Challenger a pony car too? Do most people on this forum consider the Shelby in a different category than the Challenger?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
They did a pretty miraculous job with the camaro z28, tracks like a monster, maybe SRT can pull the same with the challenger

I would love, absolutely love for Chrysler to compete, head-to-head, with the Z/28. But it won't. Chrysler does not have the nerve, nor the fortitude to do something that bold. BTW, they don't have two pennies to rub together after the money they spent on the 200. I do believe, however, that they will compete with the ZL-1 and GT500 (kind of). The Z/28 formed it's own league.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
With all due respect, please spare me how wonderful GM is and Chrysler isn't.

Last time I checked, Chrysler continued to gain year-over-year market share (Dart launch notwithstanding), while GM continued to shrink in the US.

Silverado is about to get overtaken in retail sales (excluding fleet) by Ram; Malibu was long passed by Fusion; Cruze was long overtaken by Focus.

The only successful launches GM has had in the last couple years all start with "C": Camaro, Corvette and CTS. The problem is these are all peripheral models; those that bring the bacon and keep the lights on, Malibu and Silverado, have failed to stick; Cruze sells mostly to owners of old Cobalts and Cavaliers --apparently, many with faulty ignition switches.

I am all for kickass American sports cars, but right now I trust Chrysler better for making decisions with the long-term sustainability of the business in mind. To get fixated on Hellcat and dedicate inordinate resources just to beat Camaro around the track would be to follow GM's short-sighted race to the bottom.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The Hellcat is going to be, with minimal hyperbole, epic. If they can get north of 640HP in a 4200lb. car, with adaptive suspension in the new LA platform, posterior will be handed. TBD...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am all for kickass American sports cars, but right now I trust Chrysler better for making decisions with the long-term sustainability of the business in mind. To get fixated on Hellcat and dedicate inordinate resources just to beat Camaro around the track would be to follow GM's short-sighted race to the bottom.
For the most part I agree, certainly the bigger corporate structure is focused on the long term. However, we shouldn't underestimate Ralph Gilles' competitive side. Remember how quickly they turned out the Viper T/A just to retake the fastest lap record.

Given that management has indulged his gearhead side on low volume items like bringing back the Viper, they may let him turn out a limited run, sub-trim that could be a dedicated Z28 killer...think a Hellcat TA and that's where my mind is at. They probably wouldn't make very many (probably 100 or less) and it would be a lot of carbon fiber parts and weight-reduction techniques as well as stripping out the unnecessary extra gadgets (and cost $10-15 grand more).

I'm not by any means saying they would do such a thing, but I get the sense that Ralph would do it in a heartbeat if it could be done without bankrupting Sergio. Heck, he'd probably be able to live with just one special model so the magazines could go to the track and smoke check a Z28. Could also be a plausible explanation as to why the hellcat reveal has been delayed.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Viper's got to be hanging around Ralph's neck like a makeshift anchor at the moment; so I doubt Ralph enjoys the same degree of latitude on Hellcat.

Meanwhile, the organization needs to stay focused on making sure upcoming Chrysler 200 and Dodge Charger are the home-runs needed to keep the momentum going.

To paraphrase Mr Marchionne: he can afford to make one mistake, but not two.

Dart is NOT a mistake; it's just a new name in segment in which Dodge has been inconsistent, and needs to keep building awareness against well-established juggernauts like Civic, Corolla and Focus and, eventually, it will do well. But Mr Marchionne is getting a lot of flak over Dart, and he cannot afford 200 or Charger to be seen as "mistakes".

On the other hand, Challenger is well established in its segment, which gives Dodge more breathing space. Despite our fixation on Z/28, and based on whatever I have read/seen so far, the 2015 redesign and Hellcat will do just fine.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Meanwhile, the organization needs to stay focused on making sure upcoming Chrysler 200 and Dodge Charger are the home-runs needed to keep the momentum going.

To paraphrase Mr Marchionne: he can afford to make one mistake, but not two.

Dart is NOT a mistake; it's just a new name in segment in which Dodge has been inconsistent, and needs to keep building awareness against well-established juggernauts like Civic, Corolla and Focus and, eventually, it will do well. But Mr Marchionne is getting a lot of flak over Dart, and he cannot afford 200 or Charger to be seen as "mistakes".

On the other hand, Challenger is well established in its segment, which gives Dodge more breathing space. Despite our fixation on Z/28, and based on whatever I have read/seen so far, the 2015 redesign and Hellcat will do just fine.
Completely agree with this statement.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
With all due respect, please spare me how wonderful GM is and Chrysler isn't.

Last time I checked, Chrysler continued to gain year-over-year market share (Dart launch notwithstanding), while GM continued to shrink in the US.

Silverado is about to get overtaken in retail sales (excluding fleet) by Ram; Malibu was long passed by Fusion; Cruze was long overtaken by Focus.

The only successful launches GM has had in the last couple years all start with "C": Camaro, Corvette and CTS. The problem is these are all peripheral models; those that bring the bacon and keep the lights on, Malibu and Silverado, have failed to stick; Cruze sells mostly to owners of old Cobalts and Cavaliers --apparently, many with faulty ignition switches.

My comment is focused on the Z/28, not GM. The Z/28, regardless of your opinion of me or GM, is a badass mofo, that did create it's own class. No Challenger will compete with that car on a track, simple as that. Could they build a car to compete with the Z/28, yes, will they, no. I won't argue with you any further than this.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the 2015 Chargers do. They left "retro" land with that facelift.

Kind of like the Cherokee redesign. I wouldn't bet on the Charger's success, even thou I hope it does succeed.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It will be interesting to see how the 2015 Chargers do. They left "retro" land with that facelift.

Kind of like the Cherokee redesign. I wouldn't bet on the Charger's success, even thou I hope it does succeed.
I never thought they were ever in "retro" land with the Charger. Don't recall ever seeing a 4 Door Charger in the 60s or 70s.

·
Premium Member
2,622 Posts
I sure as hell hope that the Hell Cat wont compete with the Z28....

.....that thing is just too damn slow everywhere except for a road course.....

....So when a Hell Cat hands a Z28 it's ass..... the driver of the Z28 will roll down his window and say "....but I would kick your ass at THE RING".......

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Greed can ruin a good thing. All dodge needs is enough cars to sit unsold and them some suit will say there is no demand for these cars and pull the plug.
People with big money don't buy Dodge cars so anyone who keeps saying a $70,000 + challenger will still sell out is crazy.
If I am wrong why aren't all the Vipers already sold? People with stupid money aren't stupid. They need to perceive value in what they buy.
Guys with big money are buying the Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, AMG'S and other supercars.
Vipers do sell. The dealers in my area have sold three in the past two months. The ones that dont sell are because the dealer ordered the car in some bad color stripe combination. How do you know there not selling. It is a low volume car. How many GTRs has nissan sold?

·
Registered
2012 challenger srt
1,951 Posts
Good for you!

But the OPs inference is that Hellcat would become the next SRT.

500 Hellcats/year is one thing; 2,500 Hellcats is really pushing it. Even for a Mopar fan like myself.

My hypothesis with Viper is that stripping it off a brand is not helping. When it was a Dodge, whether people loved or hated Dodge, at least they knew what it was. Now, they are asked to bring not $95,000, but $120,000, for a...SR-what Viper?

The more money people pay, the more they want in return. Viper went up in price a LOT: for the additional money, you get better styling and that's it. You can get traction control and fine interior materials in any $100,000 car; you get more heritage with a Porsche; and now you can get 600 HP in Shelby or a Camaro.
You get traction control in the Viper also and it has a very nice interior. Where have you SRT bashers been living. Do you get no information from the ouside world. The Viper is the fastest prodution car at laguna seca. What do you want.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts