Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Just bought a 2010 Chally SRT and i noticed that my idle oil pressure is always @ 6.8 bar (hot or cold). When driving and reving up it drops to around 5 bar depending on rpm.

The car is not stock as I see it has a mopar intake & filter, long tube headers and a tune ( i hear a burble and bangs when decelerating down hill).

Just changed the oil and filter (original SRT filter and Liquimolly 10w-60) which i use on my 07 300 SRT ( same 6.1 engine).
Engine is smooth with no noise and car runs great. Could this be due to an upgraded racing pump that i don’t know about?

note: the car was in Dubai and i bought it as it is imported to Lebanon

Thanks

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Very strange

There is no racing pumps for hemi’s. The 60 weight will make a difference as the engine called for 0w40 originally

I run redline 5w40 and my motor is built and idles at 30psi

The burple you mention is probably more fuel in the tune setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ABM Habbal

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Hi guys

Just bought a 2010 Chally SRT and i noticed that my idle oil pressure is always @ 6.8 bar (hot or cold). When driving and reving up it drops to around 5 bar depending on rpm.

The car is not stock as I see it has a mopar intake & filter, long tube headers and a tune ( i hear a burble and bangs when decelerating down hill).

Just changed the oil and filter (original SRT filter and Liquimolly 10w-60) which i use on my 07 300 SRT ( same 6.1 engine).
Engine is smooth with no noise and car runs great. Could this be due to an upgraded racing pump that i don’t know about?

note: the car was in Dubai and i bought it as it is imported to Lebanon

Thanks
In some engines the increase oil pressure the oil pressure relief valve could be tweaked. A shimmed spring or a stiffer spring.

But for the oil pressure to remain high with the engine cold or hot is not normal behavior. While 10w-60 is not anywhere near what should be used I'm not necessarily going to blame the oil for this oil pressure behavior.

You need to confirm the actual oil pressure. The oil pressure sensor may be wonky.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,324 Posts
Was a issue with the factory sensors, I had to change mine out at 5K miles as the pressure was pegged out, check engine light would then come on. $55 later and good as new.

BTW a royal PINA to change, had the alt half way out to get to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very strange

There is no racing pumps for hemi’s. The 60 weight will make a difference as the engine called for 0w40 originally

I run redline 5w40 and my motor is built and idles at 30psi

The burple you mention is probably more fuel in the tune setting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply.
Oil pressure is the same with 0w-40 and 10w-60

I use 10w-60 on all my performance cars since I like to beat the heck out of them which leads to increased Oil Temp so I get better protection.

I had isues with 0w-40 which lead to engine replacement on my 300 SRT ( racing rod bearings went bad/ twisted crankshaft/block crack).

Since then using 10w-60 with no issues BUT I wait till the oil really warms up before going crazy

Will check the oil pressure sensor after lockdown.

Cheers

In some engines the increase oil pressure the oil pressure relief valve could be tweaked. A shimmed spring or a stiffer spring.

But for the oil pressure to remain high with the engine cold or hot is not normal behavior. While 10w-60 is not anywhere near what should be used I'm not necessarily going to blame the oil for this oil pressure behavior.

You need to confirm the actual oil pressure. The oil pressure sensor may be wonky.
Thanks for the reply

Will definitely check that after lockdown

Cheers

Was a issue with the factory sensors, I had to change mine out at 5K miles as the pressure was pegged out, check engine light would then come on. $55 later and good as new.

BTW a royal PINA to change, had the alt half way out to get to it.
Thanks for the reply

Will check actual oil pressure after the lockdown nd see how it goes from there

but hopefully it is just the sensor since all seems to go well with the engine.

Cheers

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
Oil pressure is the same with 0w-40 and 10w-60

I use 10w-60 on all my performance cars since I like to beat the heck out of them which leads to increased Oil Temp so I get better protection.

I had isues with 0w-40 which lead to engine replacement on my 300 SRT ( racing rod bearings went bad/ twisted crankshaft/block crack).

Since then using 10w-60 with no issues BUT I wait till the oil really warms up before going crazy

Will check the oil pressure sensor after lockdown.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply

Will definitely check that after lockdown

Cheers

Thanks for the reply

Will check actual oil pressure after the lockdown nd see how it goes from there

but hopefully it is just the sensor since all seems to go well with the engine.

Cheers
Well, straight up 10w-60 oil is just wrong.

The 10w-60 oil doesn't flow as readily when the engine is cold started. The HTHS (60) number may not flow as readily at high RPMs. Additionally the heavier oil has more molecular friction which could result in higher oil temperatures in the bearings which could have the oil breaking down.

I recall some years back talking to a guy who insisted on running 15w-50 oil in his car's engine even though the factory called for 0w-40. The guy admitted his track times with 15w-50 oil were slower than with 0w40 oil and gas mileage was not as good with the "thicker" oil in the engine but for some reason he still felt 15w-50 oil was the better oil. No better argument could be offered in favor of owners not being allowed to choose the oil they use in the engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts