Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordering my cam Friday do I need valve springs or not? I've read where people say yes and no but I want to know from someone else too. A guy who built a couple of engines for me told me to check out comp cams 26918 springs but do I need springs on a stock 6.1

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
398 Posts
Don't think you need them. I've talked to Stu a few times and he said the stock springs will be fine. I see you decided the Srt max instead of the max plus! What made you choose the max instead?

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
It depends how aggressive the cam is. Best answer is ask your builder or ask the vendor your buying from if it's needed or the benifit of upgrading. Springs are cheap and may be worth it in the long run for protection.
I put springs in mine

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't think you need them. I've talked to Stu a few times and he said the stock springs will be fine. I see you decided the Srt max instead of the max plus! What made you choose the max instead?

What springs did u buy? And I haven't ordered the cam yet I've been busy but some one told me that the max plus won't work in a 6speed car?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Ordering my cam Friday do I need valve springs or not? I've read where people say yes and no but I want to know from someone else too. A guy who built a couple of engines for me told me to check out comp cams 26918 springs but do I need springs on a stock 6.1

Yes you need valve springs!! The stock springs break with the stock cam. The comp cams 26918 springs are an excellent choice for the 5.7 and 6.1.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Stu and others have told me the stock springs work just fine with a bigger cam. & the max plus will work with a 6-speed. My cam should be coming in, in about 1-2 more weeks and going in my 6-speed srt8

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you're keeping ur stock springs and ur doing a max plus? Whose goin to be doning ur tuning?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Yes I am. Unless Stu recommends otherwise when I take my car in. & I believe Stu is gonna tune my car on the dyno after the cam is installed

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Stu and others have told me the stock springs work just fine with a bigger cam. & the max plus will work with a 6-speed. My cam should be coming in, in about 1-2 more weeks and going in my 6-speed srt8
Will Stu and others fix your engine when you break a valve spring ??

·
Registered
627 Posts
I don't think so

·
Registered
398 Posts
Haha easy guys, just going by what I've been told. Ill look into it more.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've wondered about the spring thing myself. You guys know the stock 6.1 cam is a .570/.551 lift, right?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Been doing quite a bit of research as well as making some phone calls, the stock 6.1 springs will work fine with a mild cam, such as those offered from Inertia. Going with new springs is good for reassurance I suppose.

·
Registered
272 Posts
From what I understand, the issue is more with the powerband shift than the lift/duration of the cam, at least for cams under .600 lift. The stock springs don't like 6500+ RPM.

That's just my interpretation of what I've read.

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Change the springs and the push rods. Its cheap. I dont bet on"it will be fine".
I think doing every thing one can, to make it better than it was your money ahead.
FlatTop

course they have to be set up right in the first place. Make sure the spring height is what its supposed to be using shims and
check seat preasure ect. my seat preasure was 150psi @.050th

1 - 18 of 18 Posts