Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it is time for my first oil change as an SRT owner...
I have never changed the oil on a Challenger so I look around here for a few tips and I start seeing "SRT filter" and "SRT oil".....WTF?

What is that all about...? Do I need to be using special oil and filter now with my SRT...?

Thanx for any help! :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have never changed the oil on a Challenger so I look around here for a few tips and I start seeing "SRT filter" and "SRT oil".....WTF?

What is that all about...? Do I need to be using special oil and filter now with my SRT...?

Idk about the oil. Its probably just pennzoil platinum in a mopar bottle but the SRT white filter is the one they put on the viper. They are a better filter. It's not a must but it is a better filter imo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts

just got a quote for my first oil and filter change too ....188$ , im not in the us

The price is absurd , i want to order the filter online and buy whatever oil is recommended in the manual.

Thank god i can do that.

but they have to do it... no choice

I have the same question as you.

as for the oil , i’m guessing any synthetic oil?
I havnt looked in the manual yet but what does it say for those who did the homework?
Just any synthetic?

what kind of filter are they going to pull out from the car? The one that comes from the factory.

Is it the srt one?

I want to order the same filter that is on the car now.

a 2020 6.4 scatpack

thanks in advance

·
Registered
172 Posts
Here is what I use. The oil is recommended by Mopar

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Here is what I use. The oil is recommended by Mopar

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Right Oil not the oem filter. I'm not a fan at all of fram oil filters. When I worked at a dodge dealership we had 2 engines come in with fram oil filters that the element in the inside was dislodged one the engine was full of sludge the other wasn't looking to good.

The oem filter will be what's called a 899 mopar filter. It took the place of the 090

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Lots of threads on this. I wouldn’t let a dealer touch my car. Competent shop. Or do yourself. Lift car with care. Look around. Everything needed is somewhere on this site.
I always thought they if a dealer didn't do the maintenance then it would void your warranty. I'm not a fan of pennzoil (personal preference really)

·
Registered
2020 scatpack
622 Posts
Np. My last oil change as $80 so yeah I can understand. Lol

i just looked up pictures of it , and it doesn’t say srt nor is it white.

guess that srt filter is an upgrade over this ha?

damn , cant even upgrade my filter lol ... and yes exactly as you said , “warranty”

Any difference in your experience working in dodge?

also , any idea why i can find it everywhere but not on the mopar parts website ?

only 7$ ... cheaper than water in a way i guess.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Dealer cannot void warranty if you change it or have a shop do it. Find the right shop and stick with it. Side note. I didn’t drain the Few ounces from the cooler at first change near 2k miles. 7 quarts and be done with it. Maybe next time when the tow hook gets installed. The thought of 18 fasteners being re used scares me.
Auto part Metal
Auto part Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Car

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
i just looked up pictures of it , and it doesn’t say srt nor is it white.

guess that srt filter is an upgrade over this ha?

damn , cant even upgrade my filter lol ... and yes exactly as you said , “warranty”

Any difference in your experience working in dodge?
Yesh the white one is an upgrade. I think it was part of a stage 1 package of some sort but don't quote me on that. It was made for the viper. I'll post a pic of it. If u watch the video I posted ull see a difference. To me the white filter is just more insurance. U can see the numbers as well. If u get a basic oil chang then they will just put a 899 on it. Nothing bad hell I put mopar filters on everything I have (98 avenger, 00 jeep grand Cherokee, 99 grand Cherokee, 87 w100, 15 200) but my SPWB gets a white one because thats what I wanted.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Dealer cannot void warranty if you change it or have a shop do it. Find the right shop and stick with it. Side note. I didn’t drain the Few ounces from the cooler at first change near 2k miles. 7 quarts and be done with it. Maybe next time when the tow hook gets installed. The thought of 18 fasteners being re used scares me.
View attachment 998900 View attachment 998901
I guess if u keep your service reports u maybe fine. Idk just from personal exp.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
I guess if u keep your service reports u maybe fine. Idk just from personal exp.

It's spelled out in your Owner's Manual that you are allowed to do your own services, just need to keep a record and receipts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts