Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone was have the same problem? Is this something that is covered under warranty.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm interested in finding out what your dealer says. :huh:

I hope they cover it for you - and they should. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. I've seen wheel problems before on Mopar cars - specifically the Prowler (both Plymouth and Chrysler Prowler models). :eek:

I'm not trying to scare you, but back when Prowlers were new almost every single one of them that was equipped with the optional chrome wheels had a similar problem. The chrome peeled off on the inside of the wheel. Many owners complained to no avail about dealers not covering the defective wheels. :yikes:

If I recall, it was kind of hit and miss whether they could find a dealer to replace them. When I was looking to buy my Prowler, I made sure to find one that had the painted wheels. To this day, I've never had an issue with them. :yesnod:

Good luck, and hopefully Mopar's customer service and workmanship warranty has changed for the better! :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
13,872 Posts
Since you bought the car used, you don't know what chemicals the previous owner used to clean the wheels. I only use Meguiars car wash, Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0, and Meguiars Detail Spray. Hopefully, the dealer will order you new wheels. If, not, you will have to pay to have a shop redo the clearcoat.

Also, how did you get that tear in your seat fabric (first photo)?

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
had a similar issue w/ Toyota...all 4 rims were peeling...and when i compared it to other vehicles i saw some peeling on almost every other car i checked too....at first Toyota dealership said NO.....when i tried a 2nd time and went to the manager level they said yes, but they give you re manufactured rims...they had small chunks missing....the finish looked new and held up great, but the rims themself were somewhat damaged looking if you really looked

id ask for your rim to be refinished or ask for a new rim....if you just take any old remanufactured rim you may not be happy with the rim quality

oh yea, Toyota said they never saw that before, yet its all over the web and i see it weekly on other cars like mine....one reason i no longer buy Toyota

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Personally I have never seen an SRT8 wheel peel and I have worked on hundreds possibly thousands of SRT8's. They should cover it IF ITS A GOOD DEALER!! Most dealers will say "chemical damage". Thats what MY dealer i worked at said when my Brembo Caliper clearcoat was peeling on all 4 calipers. I was like Uhhhhh dude, I have NEVER used any chemicals but the MOPAR CAR WASH SOAP we have in the detail department. I still never got my calipers. BASTARDS!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will definitely let you guys know what they do. I have heard of pitting but chunks of clear coat is discouraging. The car only had 11,000 miles when I bought and now it has 19000 so its a little unexpecting.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a 2010 SRT and the clearcoat at the edges of the Alcoa lettering is letting go. So far it is only a few thousandths, but you can feel the sharp edge of the clearcoat. I've used caustic tire cleaner (Bleachwhite) perhaps three times and wash it off within 1 minute. The rest of the time I used only medium pressure water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Speaking of aluminum alloy wheels, they are a REAL pain to keep clean and everything I read says you can't put anything on them to minimize the brake dust/road dirt accumulation on them. Any metallurgist out there who know why we can't protect these wheels with some marketed product? If we can, what do you recommend?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Speaking of aluminum alloy wheels, they are a REAL pain to keep clean and everything I read says you can't put anything on them to minimize the brake dust/road dirt accumulation on them. Any metallurgist out there who know why we can't protect these wheels with some marketed product? If we can, what do you recommend?
Check out this thread.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I responded in your other post.
My 2010 HO built March 12 2010 has it. Not even 3000 km's on it.

Not quite as bad and about 2 months of ownership. The dealership seen it and yes, it's a warranty item. I didn't want it done then, just noted so it can be done this winter when it won't be driven.

Here's a picture of it that I took yesterday when I removed the tire. They said they'll get it fixed locally and will take about 2 weeks. They acted like it's nothing new to them. No fuss.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I take the wheels off of the Rumble Bee (the dust gets real bad real quick) and wax the rims with a good wax, usually Mothers as of late.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Also, how did you get that tear in your seat fabric (first photo)?
I thought the same thing when I first saw it. I think that's an optical illusion! It looks like he put a peeled-off portion of the clearcoat on his seat to take the picture. It does look like a tear at first glance. Made me cringe at the thought! :ack:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lol it does look like a tear...I just wanted to use a dark background for the piece of clear that peeled off. Man if my seat did that...that would probably send me over the edge.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts