Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got some pics of my conversion to fit SRT rotors on my RT Classic. I made a custom billet aluminum bracket, modified the original caliper bracket and i' m finally done.

I will post some pics tonight. I will see if I can setup to do some brake testing from 60 0 to compare to the advertised stopping distance.

Todd:)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picts of SRT Rotors on RT Classic

Hi guys, sorry for the delay please take a look at the conversion.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
very cool Todd, is the actual bracket that you made in those pics? I'm very interested in your results. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Will you end up posting some specs on the bracket and mods to the caliper mount? And will you be making the bracket you made available for purchase? Looks like a worthwhile mod. Thanks!

~Ray

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake bracket mod

Hi all, thanks for the comments, I initially made this for my vehicle however several people seem very interested. I have no interest in selling anything however a company that I have dealt with in the past has expressed interest to sell them. So I want this to be available to anyone. So if anyone has interest in the brackets you can pm me.

As for moding the factory caliper bracket, it all depends on your skill set as the distances have to be precise of the new bolt holes.

I think the best option would be to supply both the custom bracket and the modified caliper bracket. As for the pads I ended cup using Corvette brake pads because they use almost the same caliper and rotor diameter which worked really well.

Over the winter I have ended up making a few things for my challenger and plan to make more. The perks I guess of having the right machines.

Todd

·
Registered
266 Posts
Can't wait to hear about the stopping improvements.

What did the SRT rotor go for?

Did you do the rears too? If not will that create an frnt to rear braking imbalance per se?

Thanks,
Marion

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SRT Rotors on RT

Hey, sorry for not answering your questions sooner. I paid $70.00 each for the slotted rotors and as for the brake bias I do not feel it will be an issue the main reason I wanted to do this was to get the thicker rotor on the car. The larger diameter does help though.

When I have no snow or rain and the roads are bare and dry I will try and do some testing.

Todd

·
Registered
265 Posts
Interested as well...Bump ???

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SRT Rotor on an RT spindle

Hey Guys, I posted an update of my conversion on another thread, sorry as I sort of forgot about this one.

You can see the pics here

Let me know your thoughts

Todd

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys here is a video of the install.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So are you selling the brackets in a kit?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I'm not but the company in the video is I believe. I have it on my car and it is working great. Stopping distance from 60 Mph is down to about 105 feet

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
No I'm not but the company in the video is I believe. I have it on my car and it is working great. Stopping distance from 60 Mph is down to about 105 feet

Okay, gotcha. I thought that was you in the video at first.

Here's a link to their site where they sell the kit: Serious Metal Fabricators $299 gets you all the brackets you need to do the conversion, you supply the rotors and pads. For $499 you get everything needed to do the conversion. That's not a bad deal.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Does this kit work on both front and rear?I realize you would need 2 kits

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Does this kit work on both front and rear?I realize you would need 2 kits

That I don't know. You'll need to contact Serious Metal Fabricators and ask them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They don't have a rear kit at this time as they were not going to do it. However due to popular demand they are looking into it.

The difference

RT Rear rotor 12.6" diameter with a nominal thickness of .87 or 7/8"
SRT Rear rotor 13.8" diameter with a nominal thickness of 1.10"

The issue is not the diameter but finding the right pad for the thicker rotor. The have already made a test bracket and the parking brake is the same for both.

So who knows it will be a while as they need to test it too!

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
wont the thicker rotor make the caliper piston sit in the caliper too deep? or are the pads thinner so the piston stays at its normal location in the caliper. I remember that you dont want to push the piston in too far as it can mess up the seals and the boot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts