Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for advise on how you make the bumper stripes fit correctly. It needs to stretch on one side and shrink on the other. I just ripped off the ones I just put on and have to reorder a complete set now. This car has been a challenge on these stripes that's for sure , I've done vettes and camaros and this one is by far the hardest ?. ANY advise would be appreciated! Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
602 Posts
I had the same problem with my GT500 and ended up paying a experienced graphics guy to install the bumper stripes after I had screwed up a couple sets.

He told me he used a heat gun and slowly worked it and it looked perfect when I picked it up.

·
Registered
15,066 Posts
These are factory SRT stripes? What year car? Check with Luke at Steve White Parts, you can buy individual stripe pieces.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
12,574 Posts
aftermarket stripes are a nightmare to install, we will charge double or sometime triple to install versus the factory stripes and yes the factory stripes cost way more, but worth every penny
Luke

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same problem with my GT500 and ended up paying a experienced graphics guy to install the bumper stripes after I had screwed up a couple sets.

He told me he used a heat gun and slowly worked it and it looked perfect when I picked it up.

Yes he did a great job. Looks perfect.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These are factory SRT stripes? What year car? Check with Luke at Steve White Parts, you can buy individual stripe pieces.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

No they are aftermarket but the factory type stripes. It's a 2011 car but I have put the hellcat hood on it so I need the hood stripes from a 2015 car and the rest from a 2011 car. It seems like when I took the old ones off the bumper stripes were in 2 or 3 pieces. But I can't remember at this point.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried ti install on my 2010 SRT. I had to order another set after screwing them up. I paid my window tinter to do after that. I think $200, worth every penny.

Yeah those look great , I have had a very hard time keeping the spacing between the stripes at the right distance apart.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
aftermarket stripes are a nightmare to install, we will charge double or sometime triple to install versus the factory stripes and yes the factory stripes cost way more, but worth every penny

Luke

Are the bumper stripes in multiple pieces?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am in presently in my own little slice of rally stripe hell with my 11 srt8. Bought the car with silver factory installed rally stripes. Decided that although they were perfect and looked good, that red stripes would look much better on the black car (to my taste anyway). Got several estimates from professionals of around $750-800 to remove the existing stripes and install the new ones not including the cost of the new stripes. I said eff that, I'll do it myself.

Started at the back and worked forward. Stripes came off quite easily using just a blow drier to heat them and slowly peel. Everything went great all the way to the front of the car. Took less than an hour. When I got to the composite piece (the nose just ahead of the hood), had a shitload of trouble getting them off cleanly and they left adhesive that was a bastard to get off. Took hours of work and elbow grease to get it off, using wd40, and finally had to resort to a small buffer. Worse yet, in several areas, the vinyl removed the paint along with it.

Anyway, I tried doing it myself after watching multiple how to videos on YT. Figured I'd start on the nose and found it nearly impossible to get looking good without any wrinkles or bubbles - even with the soapy water. I am not afraid to tackle almost any mechanical project like the pro charger kit I'm planning on installing myself, but when it comes to 'artsy' stuff like this, I am not up to the task apparently.

After ruining the 2 nose pieces, I decided to have a pro install it after all reasoning it would cost significantly less since I had removed the originals. I was told that now I need the nose repainted at a cost of $600, and then let the paint set for at least a month before the stripes could be done still for a cost of $450! They said it wouldn't look right, the missing paint would show right through the vinyl etc.

Being the stubborn bastard that I am, I decided to use one of the nose pieces provided in the kit for a pre 11 Challenger (with the emblem) just to see how it would look. Hardly noticeable at all unless you really look - see pic. I can definitely live with it and put that 600 clams toward my procharger. Called the stripe place and can get replacements for the 2 missing pieces for $30. Matter of fact, I'm betting I can fix that triangular spot with the missing paint with some carefully cut thin tape to bring it back up to the same level as the paint. The color difference is not a problem, it the height difference that shows through.

Now looking for someone competent to apply the stripes for a reasonable price.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
Anyway, I tried doing it myself after watching multiple how to videos on YT. Figured I'd start on the nose and found it nearly impossible to get looking good without any wrinkles or bubbles - even with the soapy water. I am not afraid to tackle almost any mechanical project like the pro charger kit I'm planning on installing myself, but when it comes to 'artsy' stuff like this, I am not up to the task apparently.

After ruining the 2 nose pieces, I decided to have a pro install it after all reasoning it would cost significantly less since I had removed the originals. I was told that now I need the nose repainted at a cost of $600, and then let the paint set for at least a month before the stripes could be done still for a cost of $450! They said it wouldn't look right, the missing paint would show right through the vinyl etc.

Being the stubborn bastard that I am, I decided to use one of the nose pieces provided in the kit for a pre 11 Challenger (with the emblem) just to see how it would look. Hardly noticeable at all unless you really look - see pic. I can definitely live with it and put that 600 clams toward my procharger. Called the stripe place and can get replacements for the 2 missing pieces for $30. Matter of fact, I'm betting I can fix that triangular spot with the missing paint with some carefully cut thin tape to bring it back up to the same level as the paint. The color difference is not a problem, it the height difference that shows through.

I'm curious as to why you started at the nose piece? That was the last piece I installed on my '09. Those stripes really don't want to go around bends, but I won out. :wink3: I installed the nose myself, but my brother helped me with the rest of the stripes. I wasn't going to pay major money for someone else to install these either. Stubborn bastards unite!

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am in presently in my own little slice of rally stripe hell with my 11 srt8. Bought the car with silver factory installed rally stripes. Decided that although they were perfect and looked good, that red stripes would look much better on the black car (to my taste anyway). Got several estimates from professionals of around $750-800 to remove the existing stripes and install the new ones not including the cost of the new stripes. I said eff that, I'll do it myself.

Started at the back and worked forward. Stripes came off quite easily using just a blow drier to heat them and slowly peel. Everything went great all the way to the front of the car. Took less than an hour. When I got to the composite piece (the nose just ahead of the hood), had a shitload of trouble getting them off cleanly and they left adhesive that was a bastard to get off. Took hours of work and elbow grease to get it off, using wd40, and finally had to resort to a small buffer. Worse yet, in several areas, the vinyl removed the paint along with it.

Man I feel your pain. I don't know if you saw any of my previous posts on this journey. But when I removed the stripes on the trunk lid , the PO. Must have scratched it and had it fixed then they re clear coated up to the stripe on the drivers side , so when I took it off I had the edge of the clear coat running up to the back glass. So I had to take the car in and have the trunk sanded down and re sprayed , so far this hellcat hood install has cost me about 3000.00. I'm almost to the point of wishing I would have just left the other hood on .?

·
Registered
104 Posts
I started with the nose because it looked like shit with the missing paint and I wanted it covered as fast as possible.

Had an appointment with some jerkoff this afternoon to come and take a look at the job. No call, no text, no show. Tired of these clowns, they think they're curing cancer. Know what, I'll effing do it myself or I won't have rally stripes before I give one of these morons a nickel. One thing I have ZERO tolerance for is not respecting my time. I wouldn't let him do it for free.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm curious as to why you started at the nose piece? That was the last piece I installed on my '09. Those stripes really don't want to go around bends, but I won out. :wink3: I installed the nose myself, but my brother helped me with the rest of the stripes. I wasn't going to pay major money for someone else to install these either. Stubborn bastards unite!

That nose piece is cake compared to the front bumper. Very difficult

·
Registered
104 Posts
Man I feel your pain. I don't know if you saw any of my previous posts on this journey. But when I removed the stripes on the trunk lid , the PO. Must have scratched it and had it fixed then they re clear coated up to the stripe on the drivers side , so when I took it off I had the edge of the clear coat running up to the back glass. So I had to take the car in and have the trunk sanded down and re sprayed , so far this hellcat hood install has cost me about 3000.00. I'm almost to the point of wishing I would have just left the other hood on .?
It sucks man. Had I known it was going to be this much of a PITA, I would have just left the silver stripes alone.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
FINALLY, was able to get the new red vinyl rally stripes applied!

Now it's time to focus on obtaining and installing a ProCharger...

It looks great from here!

Reactions: 11srt8

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FINALLY, was able to get the new red vinyl rally stripes applied!

Now it's time to focus on obtaining and installing a ProCharger...

That looks great. Ya have to tell me how you get the front bumper stripes to fit.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That looks great. Ya have to tell me how you get the front bumper stripes to fit.
I didn't, I got the guy who does all the vinyl lettering on the trucks for the place I work for to do it - really reasonable, no attitude and I am very pleased with the results.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts