Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exhaust Notes - A Blog from MSN Autos - MSN Autos

Looks like SRT is going to be its own Brand like Dodge and RAM

Since the Challenger SRT barely looks different than a SE and Dodge has even been moving closer to making the SRT barely indistinguishable from a SE i dont get why now they want to make the SRT its own separate brand..........if this is the case then the Challenger SRT has to look completely different than the RT and SE......i thought maybe this is their way to go Cuda SRT

the whole thing makes sense to me, but its odd it makes sense to Dodge

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
SRT8 Cuda! Problem solved!! lol probable not...

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
I think everyone is reading too far into this brand thing. I think ralf was promoted to CEO of the srt department and there not separating it into a brand. Although it is a brand of the challengers and chargers and jeeps and 300's. It's just a separate department from the regular cars

·
Registered
301 Posts
If they wanted to make another brand, I would have rather seen Plymouth come back as a retro only brand.

Make a small hot rod 2 seater low rider truck (turbo 4 cylinder w/ all wheel drive), fender flares and all.

Kill the Challenger and make the Cuda.

Make an 300 style sedan with suicide doors like the concept Imperial was.

Make a mid sized car with art deco styling cues from the 40s a la http://www.picturearchive.co.za/Images/large_1940+pontiac+special+six+2dr+toring+sedan-01.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
This is right off off the Chrysler Media site.

Ralph Gilles is appointed President and CEO of the newly formed Street and Racing Technology (SRT) Brand, Chrysler Group’s cross-brand performance unit, and the Company’s Motorsports activities. He continues with design responsibility for all exterior and interior design activities for all Dodge, Ram, Chrysler and Jeep Brand vehicles.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think everyone is reading too far into this brand thing. I think ralf was promoted to CEO of the srt department and there not separating it into a brand. Although it is a brand of the challengers and chargers and jeeps and 300's. It's just a separate department from the regular cars
the article says it IS making SRT its own BRAND....they are comparing it to RAM.....so it appears its going to be separating from Dodge

·
Registered
364 Posts
"...Chrysler Group’s cross-brand performance unit"

...in other words... it is a separate "unit" of all things Chrysler that will have performance implications throughout all of their vehicles. so they'll take a Chrysler / Dodge / Ram... vehicle and let the SRT "unit" do their magic.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
How much different did a 1970 Challenger SE look visually from a 1970 R/T? I don't seem to think very much - bigger tires and wheels on an R/T, and of course a bigger weapon under the hood, different badges....- sort of just like it is in 2011

·
Banned
675 Posts
I just hope they don't make SE's the same color's as srt's

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Exhaust Notes - A Blog from MSN Autos - MSN Autos

Looks like SRT is going to be its own Brand like Dodge and RAM

Since the Challenger SRT barely looks different than a SE and Dodge has even been moving closer to making the SRT barely indistinguishable from a SE i dont get why now they want to make the SRT its own separate brand..........if this is the case then the Challenger SRT has to look completely different than the RT and SE......i thought maybe this is their way to go Cuda SRT

the whole thing makes sense to me, but its odd it makes sense to Dodge

if the SRT becomes its own brand, there won't be any Dodge challengers with the SRT label. you know that will not happen nor did ralph mean it like that.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if the SRT becomes its own brand, there won't be any Dodge challengers with the SRT label. you know that will not happen nor did ralph mean it like that.
by making it its own brand and comparing what they mean by 'brand' to RAM i would think that all SRT's will no longer say Dodge on them.....because they wont be Dodges...they will be SRT's

if thats not the case then whats the story about? your opinion is that nothing has changed....so why the announcement?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
How much different did a 1970 Challenger SE look visually from a 1970 R/T? I don't seem to think very much - bigger tires and wheels on an R/T, and of course a bigger weapon under the hood, different badges....- sort of just like it is in 2011

Exactly.

A GS was not much different than a Skylark. A 442 was not much different than a Cutlass, an SS454 Chevelle was not much different than a Malibu, GTX was not much different than a Satelite.....yadda, yadda, yadda.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe they are doing the separate brands because of how the "brands" are evaluated by government CAFE standards. The SRT8s hurt the overall gas mileage rating for Dodge, just like the trucks did...hence they created RAM. By moving guzzlers out and inserting Fiat-based sub compacts they'll boost their overall avg fuel efficiency for the Dodge brand.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I believe they are doing the separate brands because of how the "brands" are evaluated by government CAFE standards. The SRT8s hurt the overall gas mileage rating for Dodge, just like the trucks did...hence they created RAM. By moving guzzlers out and inserting Fiat-based sub compacts they'll boost their overall avg fuel efficiency for the Dodge brand.
:werd: That makes the most sense.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so every challenger will be an SRT? wrong.
no only the SRT's would be SRT's....

i know it doesnt make sense right now with the car as we know it..my guess is it would be a different car(somewhat)

what do you think this new announcement means???? if it means nothing , then why announce it?

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
"...Chrysler Group’s cross-brand performance unit"

...in other words... it is a separate "unit" of all things Chrysler that will have performance implications throughout all of their vehicles. so they'll take a Chrysler / Dodge / Ram... vehicle and let the SRT "unit" do their magic.
This is my take on the situation also. The SRT will continue to be the high performance trim level available on Chrysler, Dodge, Ram & Jeep vehicles. You won't see a Dodge Challenger and a SRT Challenger. You will see a Dodge Challenger and a Dodge Challenger SRT.

As for the differences in trim levels in 1970 vs today, it was significantly easier to distinguish between the base, SE and R/T models in 1970.

The R/T got the rallye hood with the twin NASA-style scoops, while the base and SE trim levels got the flat "low performance" hood. The R/T came standard with the rallye instrument panel, which included an 8,000 rpm tach, 150 mph speedometer, clock, and gauges. The base and SE models came with a completely different looking dash cluster with a 120 mph speedometer, no tach and no clock. The R/T came with your choice of the longitudinal (side) stripe or the rear deck "bumblebee" stripe at no cost (you could order stripe delete also). Neither of these stripes was available on the base or SE trim levels. In addition, the R/T came with R/T badges in 4 places (hood, front fenders, trunk lid) plus 2 engine emblems on the hood. So along with the wider tires and dual exhaust, there were a lot more visual cues differentiating the R/T from the other trim levels.

The SE had lower rocker moldings, another molding above the tail lights, plus the smaller "opera" rear window. A vinyl top was mandatory on the SE to help create the smaller rear window, and included SE badges on the C pillars. Inside the SE had an overhead console, plus carpet trim at the bottom of the door panels, plus SE badging on the doors. Again, lots of visual clues to distinguish the SE from the base trim level, especially the modified rear window.

In thumbnails, note the hood on the base Plum Crazy car and the rear window on the SE model.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
what do you think this new announcement means???? if it means nothing , then why announce it?
The CEO of Dodge is loaded up with lots of non-car guy stuff. My view is RG had way too much on his plate, and it is far easier to find a good manager to put in charge of Dodge than it is to find someone with RG's car guy skills. But in the corporate world, the CEOs of the various brands would outrank RG in the old organizational structure and normally he would be reporting to one of them. By adding SRT this puts RG as a peer with all the other CEOs rather than a subordinate.

RG is getting a Bob Lutz role, which is great for all Challenger and performance enthusiasts. I can't give RG any bigger compliment than by comparing him to Bob Lutz. From a greedy self interest perspective, I want RG working on designs and performance, not dealing with some railroad or trucking company to improve delivery times. There are plenty of good managers who can chase down the biz stuff, I want RG working on the cars!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts