Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen on this forum, some people have done this mid, many have used this lid.

Part #68175165AB
IMG_3044.png

IMG_3045.png

I think it’s the most common lid since it’s used from 2015 to 2018 but as all you know the large MAF sensor can be a challenge some cut it in the middle or some cut all the way, where I hear that it’s too short.
Another problem is the factory elbow from the manifold to the lid,
IMG_3049.jpg

which some people had used a breather element/filter Iike this
IMG_3047.jpg

But I didn’t want to do that route nor I want to deal with large MAF sensor opening, I opted to use a 2018 Hellcat lid

Part number 68175165AC
IMG_3042.png

IMG_3043.png

First off this Hellcat lid has the outlet for the elbow to the manifold which makes it easy to connect your stock elbow tube
IMG_3050.jpg

Second this lid has a way much smaller MAF sensor port to deal with
IMG_3014.jpg

With a Dremel Saw I cut the lid right of the edge of the sensor opening and cut off the opening as well, which gave the exact length as the stock lid
IMG_3016.jpg

At this point I could have left it alone and use it since the throttle body air duct would have cover it, but since I had so much free time I got a 80 grit sand paper with a block, I smooth all the edges out, and In reality not needed but I covered the hole with Silicone gasket maker.
IMG_3020.jpg

Here is the final product, I apologize for the engine dirty bay

Overall it was a easy mod, just had to cut Lid and that’s it, but the sanding and silicone was just cus I had so much extra time at home but not needed as you can see the throttle body air duct covers the Sensor opening if you decide not to sand it and use silicone to cover the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Want to shout out @15SRT ; for selling me his lower box and tube and to @stevewhite ; for helping out with the top lid

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Just to clarify, Challengers use a MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor, to determine the proper fuel mixture, on both MDS (auto) and non-MDS (stick) versions.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,059 Posts
Thanks for posting this up 19Scat!

I Appreciate this because I plan on doing the same thing but I'm painting the lid to match Ruby (our 2015 SRT 392). Did you use the factory clamp or have to get one from a Hellcat?

I think that the hole in the 2018 Hellcat lid is for the IAT sensor, not a MAF. They were tuned using Speed Density, so there is no MAF.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I Appreciate this because I plan on doing the same thing but I'm painting the lid to match Ruby (our 2015 SRT 392). Did you use the factory clamp or have to get one from a Hellcat?

I think that the hole in the 2018 Hellcat lid is for the IAT sensor, not a MAF. They were tuned using Speed Density, so there is no MAF.
Factory Clamp, you gotta loosen it up all the way. I removed it completely and once the air duct was on the lid, I put the clamp back on. Everything is factory besides the Lid, and the Lower box but as you already Thats easy.

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

In matter of fact the Stock Scat Pack MAP sensor fits and locks in the Hellcat lid IAT sensor port, but you would need to buy a 22 or 30 degree intake coupler reducer 4.5in to 3.5in, which i found for 30 bucks, I would have not have to cut the lid. I went this route this it gives it a more stock look and I didn’t had to spend the extra 30 bucks but that’s another way to go if you don’t want to cut the lid.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice work. Now comes the dumb question. I did the bottom and tube on my scat.

What is the purpose of changing out the lid other than the SRT?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,059 Posts
Factory Clamp, you gotta loosen it up all the way. I removed it completely and once the air duct was on the lid, I put the clamp back on. Everything is factory besides the Lid, and the Lower box but as you already Thats easy.

In matter of fact the Stock Scat Pack MAP sensor fits and locks in the Hellcat lid IAT sensor port, but you would need to buy a 22 or 30 degree intake coupler reducer 4.5in to 3.5in, which i found for 30 bucks, I would have not have to cut the lid. I went this route this it gives it a more stock look and I didn’t had to spend the extra 30 bucks but that’s another way to go if you don’t want to cut the lid.

Thanks! I Appreciate the information.

In my opinion, the SRT on it is enough to change it. We've got an SRT and it just fits into the engine compartment (especially when it's painted to match our car)

If it makes a difference in performance then that's just a bonus. :)

·
Banned
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The Inside of the Lid is different, the SRT seems more smooth and less restrictive
IMG_3076.jpg

The SRT is slightly taller and perhaps longer as well, it seems it can only help the volume and air flow and not cause any harm. So why not, lol

I did it for the eye candy when you open the hood, and it’s a really easy cheap mod so why not, and like it said it can only help the air flow.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Inside of the Lid is different, the SRT seems more smooth and less restrictive
View attachment 992016
The SRT is slightly taller and perhaps longer as well, it seems it can only help the volume and air flow and not cause any harm. So why not, lol

I did it for the eye candy when you open the hood, and it’s a really easy cheap mod so why not, and like it said it can only help the air flow.

It does appear longer, but not sure if that is possible, I have the lower, and my Scat lid fits it perfect. Oh well, it answers my general questions Thanks guys -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts