Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed up for the SRT Track Experience on May 18th at Daytona International Speedway. Anybody else going?

·
Vendor
5,687 Posts
You'll love it! :)

Reactions: scubaferber

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did it in Vegas. Lots of fun! Very professionally presented. I do have a couple criticisms about it. First, there was very little instruction. You just go out there and do the courses and autocross, hitting all the cones lol. I would recommend to them that the first time for every course, each attendee should ride with an instructor who actually "teaches" you how to do it, when to accelerate, brake, etc. They really don't do that.

Second, about 1/4 of the attendees had done the experience before at least once, so they new exactly what to do and what to expect. Us newbies had no idea and were always lagging in the stats. So although some of the courses are being timed against the clock and head-to-head challenges are fun competitions, the ones who won and got the backpack prize were the ones with prior experience.

But, do not misunderstand, it was a LOT of fun and really cool people to meet, and the folks running it were really nice. Plus we all got to drive the Challenger, Charger and Jeep SRTs. The experience is not about speed, although stretches of the autocross could get up to 100 maybe, but then you must break for a sharp turn ahead.

Enjoy! I definitely would do it again (so I could win a challenge and get a backpack! lol)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just upgraded to a 14 Chally. I will look into this Date at Daytona.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I just did it in Vegas. Lots of fun! Very professionally presented. I do have a couple criticisms about it. First, there was very little instruction. You just go out there and do the courses and autocross, hitting all the cones lol. I would recommend to them that the first time for every course, each attendee should ride with an instructor who actually "teaches" you how to do it, when to accelerate, brake, etc. They really don't do that.

Second, about 1/4 of the attendees had done the experience before at least once, so they new exactly what to do and what to expect. Us newbies had no idea and were always lagging in the stats. So although some of the courses are being timed against the clock and head-to-head challenges are fun competitions, the ones who won and got the backpack prize were the ones with prior experience.

But, do not misunderstand, it was a LOT of fun and really cool people to meet, and the folks running it were really nice. Plus we all got to drive the Challenger, Charger and Jeep SRTs. The experience is not about speed, although stretches of the autocross could get up to 100 maybe, but then you must break for a sharp turn ahead.

Enjoy! I definitely would do it again (so I could win a challenge and get a backpack! lol)
I am one of those who have gone at least five times before. It IS a lot of fun!

To SRT's credit, the first time I went, back in 2006, they included a 30 minute class on driving on a track, explaining the physics behind a car's center of gravity and why high-rate springs are needed at speed, and practical things like when to slow down and accelerate upon entering and exiting a turn, how to properly approach the turn and how to aim for the apex, etc. They also gave us a quick preview of the three segments of the day, the types of courses we would encounter, why they were there and what to expect.

However, apparently, we don't want to waste any time sitting in "a classroom"; we just want to get out there and drive fast, even if half of us don't have a clue of what we are supposed to do --no wonder so many kids drop out of school. So SRT has since removed these sessions.

I learned a LOT in those 30 minutes and wish they still included them at the start of the day. It levels the playing field throughout the day, and gave me useful tips I can apply to my daily driving.

It is time WELL wasted! :D

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,122 Posts
Anyone have a link to such a tutorial for those of us who want to make the most of our track time?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I'll be at the May 17th SRT Exp session, Saturday. Second time going. I plan to do this every year.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Dallas SRT Experience on the 8th (this Sat)?

I'm flying to Dallas tomorrow to attend on the 8th, anyone else going??
Look for the gray-haired guy in his 60's that according to his wife acts like a teen ager, that will be me!

David

·
Registered
199 Posts
Me and my son are registered for the Houston event on April 26th, can't wait.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm flying to Dallas tomorrow to attend on the 8th, anyone else going??
Look for the gray-haired guy in his 60's that according to his wife acts like a teen ager, that will be me!

David
I just did the Las Vegas SRT T.E. last week Feb 25th. I went last year also and learned a lot, but this last time I had a lot more confidence sticking to the rear end of the chase car. Actually the chase car is the instructor, and they want you no more than 3 lengths of his ass. I actually managed to drift once or twice in the 300 SRT. It got way loose on me but still in control with all of the electronic nannies...that 300 is the most planted of the 3 others we got to drive, namely The Challenger, The Charger and The Jeep...These were 2014's with about 100 miles on them and no breaking in period for these cars. :)

Driving their cars is way better than putting our own cars through that kind of hard driving. The team leader of Shake and Bake (Ricky) said these cars hold up pretty well under that kind of racing and abuse. Not really abuse, as they are built for this, but we can't drive like that on the street. They change tires, pads and rotors once a week or sooner if needed.

I will go again this year hopefully given a chance to buy another SRT T.E. from somebody. :guiness: :thup:

David, I'm a gray-haired guy 69 years young, because my wife says I drive like a teenager too. Wow..it makes you feel like when you had that kind of energy...well sort of...I had an adrenaline dump at the end of the day and had to take a nap at the hotel afterwards.. :alfdance: :sleep: :zzz: But it's a blast from start to end.
One more thing..if you think you can drive hard and fast on your solo laps, wait till you drive a hot lap with an instructor at the end of the session. WOW!!! :respect:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am shooting for the MAy 17th experience at Daytona. I started my registration. Waiting on Vin verification.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Planning to go to VA in September as well. It's a really fun experience, especially if you are able to go with friends.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
You Hit it right on the Head!!!!!!

I just did the Las Vegas SRT T.E. last week Feb 25th. I went last year also and learned a lot, but this last time I had a lot more confidence sticking to the rear end of the chase car. Actually the chase car is the instructor, and they want you no more than 3 lengths of his ass. I actually managed to drift once or twice in the 300 SRT. It got way loose on me but still in control with all of the electronic nannies...that 300 is the most planted of the 3 others we got to drive, namely The Challenger, The Charger and The Jeep...These were 2014's with about 100 miles on them and no breaking in period for these cars. :)

Driving their cars is way better than putting our own cars through that kind of hard driving. The team leader of Shake and Bake (Ricky) said these cars hold up pretty well under that kind of racing and abuse. Not really abuse, as they are built for this, but we can't drive like that on the street. They change tires, pads and rotors once a week or sooner if needed.

I will go again this year hopefully given a chance to buy another SRT T.E. from somebody. :guiness: :thup:

Man, did I enjoy this!!!
This was the best time I've had "With/without Clothes On" Just had a blast driving their cars, I guess you can say that the most important thing is that you will find out what the SRT's are actually capable of, the tractions that all these car can handle is what blew me away. IMO I still did not like the Jeeps........too top heavy! Hell I had the Jeep beeping to "BRAKE, BRAKE" I thought it was crying!!!!!!! but I stayed as close as I could to the lead car/instructor (at one time, I was told to back off the lead car, I was too close!" I just thought that he would speed up if I was closer to him.
Sometimes you'll even feel that they were going to get on my butt for driving too fast, but it was all good!

If you can, you must go to one of these, It is a BLAST!

David, I'm a gray-haired guy 69 years young, because my wife says I drive like a teenager too. Wow..it makes you feel like when you had that kind of energy...well sort of...I had an adrenaline dump at the end of the day and had to take a nap at the hotel afterwards.. :alfdance: :sleep: :zzz: But it's a blast from start to end.
One more thing..if you think you can drive hard and fast on your solo laps, wait till you drive a hot lap with an instructor at the end of the session. WOW!!! :respect:
I told the instructor, Why did you guys not show us this "before" we did our laps, Damn, I would have loved to drive after the "Hot Lap"

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Daytona

I plan on going on the 18th also I don't get my car til next week so can't sign up until I sign the papers. the 17th is filled up Picking up my car in IL where I farm, but live most of the year in Salt Springs FL

·
Registered
90 Posts
I had to reschedule to the 16th of May. Have a 50th birthday party on the 17th. Anyone else going on the 16th?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts