Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an on line ad in cars.com from a used car dealer, Paul Sevag Motors, in West Chester, PA. He was selling a 2009 R/T with $17,216 miles for $23,345. In the ad, he stated that the Challenger has "SRT trim." I am not sure if he added the badges and hood stripes or if that is how he purchased it. Either way, no one should be up-badging. Here are two of the photos that accompanied the ad.

If I bought this car, the first thing that I would do would be to replace the SRT badges with R/T badges. You may be able to fool the general public with the SRT badges, but anyone with MOPAR knowledge would laugh and consider the driver a poser.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They made 20,000, 1969 Z/28 Camaros. Today there are about 50,000. I agree it's wrong, but it not going to stop.
Some of these are "tribute" cars. They have the same motor, suspension, brakes, and appearance options as the original Z-28. I have no problem when these cars are identified, as such.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Some of these are "tribute" cars. They have the same motor, suspension, brakes, and appearance options as the original Z-28. I have no problem when these cars are identified, as such.
Been dealing with classic cars for 30 years. Most are just re badged + some trim. A true re-creation from a base model is rare.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
But starting in 1972, the engine code is in the VIN so no way to create a real Z28 now as you could prior to 1972. It really is sad though, I'd be embarrassed to be seen in that (S)RT.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In case anyone thought that this was really an SRT, here is the photo of the engine. Also, in 2009, SRTs only came in three colors: Hemi-orange, silver and black. Another thing is that there are no red Brembo calipers evident. The dealer states that he bought it from the poser (I mean, the previous owner).

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
Let's keep an open mind on this...

I saw an on line ad in cars.com from a used car dealer, Paul Sevag Motors, in West Chester, PA. He was selling a 2009 R/T with $17,216 miles for $23,345. In the ad, he stated that the Challenger has "SRT trim." I am not sure if he added the badges and hood stripes or if that is how he purchased it. Either way, no one should be up-badging. Here are two of the photos that accompanied the ad.

If I bought this car, the first thing that I would do would be to replace the SRT badges with R/T badges. You may be able to fool the general public with the SRT badges, but anyone with MOPAR knowledge would laugh and consider the driver a poser.
While buying and reselling up-badged Challengers might seem abhorrent to those of us who have emotional crutches like honesty, fairness, and integrity, I can see the money-making potential such a tactic has for a used-car salesman who is a card-carrying member of the ABC club (Always Be Closing!) and unburdened by useless character traits such as morality and empathy.

Just think about it...the previous owner of that up-badged Challenger brought the car in to sell or use as a trade-in, expecting to get at least whatever the R/T version would be worth (but secretly hoping he can talk his way into getting something close to the SRT value). But seeing as the car is NOT an R/T anymore (it's a modded version, and an unpopular mod at that) and never was an SRT model, he will be lucky if the used-car guy gives him SXT Plus money for it.

Now, the used-car guy takes that same car and puts it up for sale for a price which is more than an R/T but not quite what an SRT would bring, basically using the same logic as the previous owner and which he flatly rejected during the negotiation of purchase price. It's surely a long-shot for him to get that inflated price for the car, but he'll certainly do his best and TRY to get it, you can be sure.

But even if the odds of getting the higher price are low, there's no downside (in fact, there's only upside!) in trying to sell it for the inflated price, right?

Try to talk all potential buyers into paying the "more than a R/T but less than a SRT" price, but take let them talk him down to normal price if they stand their ground. So the worst that can happen is he'll make the standard profit from the sale, but then every once in a while, he'll find a n00b who'll buy it at inflated price, and BLAMMO! The used-car guy just doubled (or more!) his profit on the sale, all without having to do any extra work beyond what he normally does, and...AND, no one got hurt!

Well, that's not quite true...we know there were some casualties in there somewhere between the original owner and the new one and the salesman and such...but hey, it certainly wasn't the salesman, he got PAID and is about to pay it forward by making it rain at the local strip club (Lap-dances are BOGO every Wednesday at The Jiggly Room after all, and besides, what is he, a robot??? Someone without any feelings, lusts, or desires?!?)

It's a pretty cool racket that our mythical used-car salesman has going in this scenario, very lucrative indeed. He's managed to pay off his gambling debts and finally pay off his ex-wife's lawyers' bills. He's almost back to being on top!!

That is, until some know-it-all guy who belongs to an online car forum (ChargerTalk.com I think?) comes along and ruins it all for him (that's YOU, @Cuda340, in this hypothetical scennario :cool:). And now he's back to working 2 shifts and eating bologna for lunch every day.

How can you be party to such character assasination like that, @Cuda340, how indeed...

For shame...FOR SHAME!!!

---------------------------

Also, has anyone called up Dodge to confirm this isn't a one-of-a-kind, special edition, or possibly even early prototype that is SUPPOSED to be up-badged like that?

I admit that is unlikely, but not impossible...and if it is a one-of-a-kind car straight from Dodge somehow, well than that's an awfully good price on it, wouldn't you agree??

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,849 Posts
BTW Cuda340. Congrats on your 10 year anniversary at Challengertalk :thumbsup: :elephant:

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW Cuda340. Congrats on your 10 year anniversary at Challengertalk :thumbsup: :elephant:A Guy
Thanks. It is actually 11 years. Time flies. I joined in Sept. 2006 during all of the excitement about the release of the Challenger concept car. Prior to that, I had joined Challengertalk's sister web site, Chargerforums to learn about the 6.1 Hemi engine that was installed in the SRT Chargers for a few years.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,849 Posts
11 yes, I am stuck in 2016 when I got my car :)

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Pulled in the local Napa and saw a pre-2015 challenger with hellcat badging and hood...had me do a double take.

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
Pulled in the local Napa and saw a pre-2015 challenger with hellcat badging and hood...had me do a double take.
I knew the HCs were frigging fast, but I had no idea they were fast enough to travel back in time!!

I suppose Dodge should take advantage of this by coming up with some new HC marketing slogans...something like
"Who needs Superman to fly around the earth backwards to turn back time when you can just drive a HC at WOT for a few minutes and do the same!"

<nervously waiting for confirmation that reference isn't too old be useful anymore>

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Guess I'm guilty but no remorse

I just had to do something about that Ram Truck looking full engine cover on my 5.7 T/A. I put some POWERED BY SRT half covers on and could not be happier. Sorry to the model specific faithful or whatever you call it. I have kept the original cover and will include it in any possible sale of the car! Don't worry I'll never sell it!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
I just had to do something about that Ram Truck looking full engine cover on my 5.7 T/A. I put some POWERED BY SRT half covers on and could not be happier. Sorry to the model specific faithful or whatever you call it. I have kept the original cover and will include it in any possible sale of the car! Don't worry I'll never sell it!!
Heretic! >:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts