Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
um...i dont know really know how to start a thread off so this will be a tad rough..

okay, in the next 1-2 years. i will be getting a challenger. I don't have the money now to afford one so i've been saving. i live in canada and i noticed that dodge's canadian site updated their models/years, but sadly their website is having issues and says its timed out even after 2 seconds. So here where i need help...

I want to get the SRT hopefully end of this year, beginning of 2012, But i have a vision in my mind for it and it includes some custom work. I should be able to afford it but i wouldn't be able to paint it or the rims. Which is what i'd want to do. Since the SRT is almost 10k more than the R/T classic i thought what if i just went R/T Classic and then used the extra money to make it more custom. I would do that but i need some more information first..

-> What are the differences between R/T Classic & SRT. All the differences. even the little things.
-> Which one would hold value better?
-> How much would it cost to completely paint the Challenger, a new colour. (they don't offer what i want.) sadly...
-> How much would it cost to put bumper to bumper duel stripes on under the gloss?

so if anyone could answer those questions for me, it'd be greatly appreciated!! Oh, and again. sorry if this was rough to read or doesn't seam like i know much, i pretty much don't. I do know that i love the challenger and want the best one i can but still be able to make it original as fast as possible.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Well your last statement says it."original as fast as possible" makes it the SRT. They have 100hp to start with. If fast is all you want. I wouldn't have one for the driving I do but I wouldn't buy a new car and paint it. It's all in your wants and needs. Alot of the SRT guys wouldn't be happy with a RT. The list of differances is to long to list.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well speed is nice, but when i said "original as fast as possible" i meant like. unique... I guess since "the list of differences is too long to list." ill lean more towards the SRT with a stock colour for now. (really liking the Detonator Yellow) but again its a stock colour and if i got yellow and then a week or two later saw another yellow one that looked almost the same, it'd break my heart. so hence my issues. because i have a need to be unique as possible yet like knowing i have a lot of speed if needed.

i guess i do have A LOT of time to think about it, but i'd like to know what id want before i even went in.
GRR so much decisions. its like bruce wayne having a fight with batman on what choice of colour to choose for his car. Black for batman or some fancy colour for bruce. so im fighting with myself on what i want. D:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I thought that about all options were stock on a SRT but a Guy with a SRT told me that he wishes he would have gotten a RT classic and used the money to make his like mine. I don't have that many after market things that I've put on mine so there must be something I don't know about. The reason I said the list is to long is because every time one of these threads comes out some SRT owner comes up with something else they think is better (and maybe it is). I know the brakes and suspention is better on the SRTand I've heard the seats are far better. You will not get a spare tire or the mileage on an SRT you do on a RT. The SRT has more power but from what people on here have said they have more problems. Mostly rear end and 6 speed problems. I'm just A RT Classic guy that's been on here for 6 months or so and never had a SRT so this is all my personal opintion and no one else was wanting to give you theirs yet.

·
Banned
557 Posts
There are quite a few differences, the biggest being the SRT has a 6.1 engine (2010 and older models) or a 6.4 engine (2011+ models). The 6.1 is good for about 50hp more than the RT, whereas the 6.4 (aka "392") is good for nearly 100hp more. Aside from the engine, you will find a more sport tuned suspension, world class Brembo brake system, EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Information Center) that tells you all sorts of stuff like MPG, 1/8 mile time, 1/4 mile time, max speed and much more. Also included is the 180mph speedo. And let's not forget the HD/DVD touch screen stereo for your tunes complete with U-connect (bluetooth connectivity), steering wheel controls, satellite radio and 6 speaker Boston Acoustics speaker upgrade. Another cool feature is the keyless push start. And wrapping all 4 corners is 20" SRT wheels.

I couldn't find a 2011 brochure online, but did find the 2010 version. If you look on the last 2 pages it gives a good comparison of what's included, or not included, in the various packages.

http://www.dodge.com/en/pdf/2010_challenger.pdf

As you noticed, the SRT comes with a stiff price tag. But I think the 2011 models with the 392 is more worthwhile than ever. I would prefer a standard color SRT vs an "upgraded" RT. As far as being a collectible/rare vehicle, the Inaugural Edition (IE) 392 SRT is what I would get.

All that being said, I couldn't afford an SRT and am absolutely thrilled with my RT. For me, I don't need the SRT/392 to have a permagrin. Of course, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Alot of that you can get on the Rt. I have an EVIC. It doesn't have 1/8 and 1/4 mile or gs but does give 0-60 speed and max speed. I have the same Nav touch screen radio with the same speaker system. I have 20' wheels but not as deep to clear the SRT brakes. See that's why I didn't want to start this. Alot of things that are true but not exactly accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm.. *looks around* Anyone with an SRT care to drop their 2 cents on the two?

I haven't really driven a manual so id probably go auto since i don't have much experience with manuals. Unless someone says its almost a must. then ill learn.

thanks for the information by the way Itzrick.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
dude the R/T's are so much better........jk. either can be made to be cool. SRT's have a head start advantage if you are willing to spend the money. just focus on some sort of v8, dont go with SE.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya. i would only be going RT, RT Classic or SRT.. Now i guess since you guys have helped me figure out the things i came here for now just time for some really really long thinking.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol. yes they have legs. :p and i dont mind the camaro. but it has way too many blind spots and the mustang is just too.. way too much of them. and i absolutely love the challenger.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Got to work in 6 hours and have tight your thead up long enough. Hopefully someone can give you some good info that you need. It is a big deal in your life and you need to get what's right for you. Good Luck
Rick

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you can afford the SRT, get the SRT. I love my R/T, and its really fast, but I always wished I spent the extra $ and went with the SRT after buying it. The performance extras that the SRT come with is really worth the extra money and a great deal. If you were to put all the upgrades a SRT has into a R/T you would be way past the price of a SRT. Personally, I'll be waiting until 2012, 13 to see what comes down the pipe next. You'll be seeing some huge changes and i'm just gonna hold until then. My next car will most definitely be a SRT though. Though it just might be a used SRT10 Viper if the 2012 line ceases to impress me. :thumbsup: Good luck with you purchase!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Well, it sounds like you want a car that you do not see every day. Out of the three current muscle car offerings, you've come to the right place. The price difference between a loaded R/T Classic and SRT-8 is something more like 5k not 10k. If you are going to customize it, you'd be better off with a regular R/T since you would then save at least 10K as long as you don't go crazy with options. Then you can use that money to do a color change. What color are you looking for? My opinion is to pick your favorite factory color and leave it. It will be a pain to do a color change, especially on a new car. I am in the same boat deciding on what I want exactly. I am leaning towards a used SRT-8 or leftover 2010 but plan on driving the Mustang and Camaro just for comparison's sake. I think the SRT-8 is the way to go if you don't care about fuel economy since it already has so many options that are standard on it over the R/T. Plus it has a 50 to nearly 100hp advantage depending on year. However, it is hard to beat the power/mileage you get with an R/T. Also, bear in mind the 2011 R/T has had some suspension retuning, and Motortrend recently raved at the improvements to its handling. The thing I don't like about the 2011s is the initial color choices although I suspect more colors will come out via special editions throughout the year. Good luck with your search. Personally, I like Hemi Orange, Detonator Yellow, B5 Blue, etc. I like a high impact color on this car or some reason. Those colors all disappear for 2011...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts