Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Well this should be a fun project, I have a fella that wants me to install a V10 drivetrain from a wrecked 05 SRT10 RAM into his 2009 Challenger.

We are just compiling the required parts for the install, I don't think the truck's headers will fit LOL.

Picking up the car,

At the shop,

All off loaded. Let the games begin!

cheers

·
Registered
580 Posts
Looks like the first thing you will have to do is remove that HEMI billboard from the side of the car. The V10 isn't a hemi. Have fun with the build. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Put SXT badges on it. That would screw with some peoples' minds when a "V6" smokes them like a cheap cigar.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sub'd. There's been a few attempts over the years, but never heard of someone following through to the end. One of the issues was that the pre-09 SRT10 motor PCM wouldn't talk with the Challenger CAN-BUS system. I always wished Dodge put the SRT10 Concept into production.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sub'd. There's been a few attempts over the years, but never heard of someone following through to the end. One of the issues was that the pre-09 SRT10 motor PCM wouldn't talk with the Challenger CAN-BUS system. I always wished Dodge put the SRT10 Concept into production.
That will be the biggest hurdle. If I can't make the SRT10 PCM play nice with the 09's smart cluster my fall back plan is to analog the whole car :)

Some research so far,

Parts;

Tubular K-Member - $719.88 Tubular Chromoly K-Member 05-10 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum

Eibach Pro-Street-S Coil-Over - $1,381.88 Eibach Pro-Street-S Coil-Over 2005-2010 2.7L, 3.5L, 5.7L, 6.1L Challenger/Charger/300/Magnum

Moroso Solid motor mounts - $139.8 Moroso Solid Motor Mounts 08-11 Challenger 5.7L, 6.1L

Getrag 3.92 LSD Differential Rear End Kit - $2,382.88 Getrag 3.92 LSD Differential Rear End Kit 05-14 300, Challenger, Charger, Magnum R/T 5.7L, SRT8 6.1L

4" Quad Gauge - $664.80 . Auto From Speedhut.

From another thread;

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/swapping-engines-viper-6-1-a-26033/

Here's a list of what you need. I reached out to my contacts at Chrysler and I can put you in touch with the person who built the car for SEMA. He can tell you what mods need to be done on the (Headers, engine mounts, suspension and K frame modification, etc). PM me and I will provide you with my cell number. This is his response below.

Mopar sells the Viper engine and parts to get it running:

Part Number Description MSRP Pricing Stock on hand

P5153598 03-06 Viper V10, 550HP 590ft-lbs $29,725.00 includes hotter camshaft, swinging oil pickup, High perf oil filter, stiffer 4130 push rods, increased valve spring pressure, Oil pump pressure relief valve, New 120 degree bearings
P4510172 Engine controller $436.00

P5153824 Harness, headlamp and dash side, $423.00 , Plug and play works with 05030004AC SRT10 Truck engine harness. 05030004AC SRT10 truck engine harness $285.00

The P5153824 harness is plug and play, which means the only wiring that is needed is: power, ground, ignition and fuel pump.If you already have a 03-06 Viper engine, then you can easily get it running by using the Mopar parts listed above. However, the engine controller is programmed to work with the P4510171 camshaft. So you will want to change the camshaft in your engine to the P4510171 part.

cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the first thing you will have to do is remove that HEMI billboard from the side of the car. The V10 isn't a hemi. Have fun with the build. Please keep us posted.

Neither is the 3.5 that's in it now :surprise:

I think the plan was to upgrade to a hemi, but this V10 came along...so away we go!

cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good 'day troops,

This project is well underway and has not died the way most others have :)

Have removed the 3.5 and transmission, only 29k kilometers on this drive train.

Old engine cradle, got the new tubular one!

New Eibach suspension all the way around,

Still test fitting here, trying to get the right position,

At this point the transmission is mounted in place,

New motor mounts in place!

I made brackets to drop the steering rack for more clearance, they are a little too long and I will make up another set to lift the rack even with the engine cradle.

But she's in there now.

Still have lots of work to do.

- Build custom radiator
- Hook up steering shaft (will need to add another u-joint to clear starter)
- Replace the 3.5l diff and half shafts with something more substantial
- Build custom driveshaft
- Install throttle cable
- Massage the left floor pan to clear the trans solenoid

That's just the short list :)

cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good 'day troops,

This project is well underway and has not died the way most others have :)

Have removed the 3.5 and transmission, only 29k kilometers on this drive train.

Old engine cradle, got the new tubular one!

New Eibach suspension all the way around,

Still test fitting here, trying to get the right position,

At this point the transmission is mounted in place,

New motor mounts in place!

I made brackets to drop the steering rack for more clearance, they are a little too long and I will make up another set to lift the rack even with the engine cradle.

But she's in there now.

I replaced the truck deep sump oil pan for a viper one. I also replaced the truck engine mounts and plates with the viper ones, the transmission mount is a mix of the original one with the mount from a TH400 :)

Still have lots of work to do.

- Build custom radiator
- Hook up steering shaft (will need to add another u-joint to clear starter)
- Replace the 3.5l diff and half shafts with something more substantial
- Build custom driveshaft
- Install throttle cable
- Massage the left floor pan to clear the trans solenoid

That's just the short list :)

cheers

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it's back on its wheels now!

Still waiting for the new steering shafts and u-joints which should be in next week.

Still lots left to do!

cheers

1 - 20 of 63 Posts