Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a left over 2010 Challenger SRT8 w/bright silver paint this past Feb. The car looked pretty good sitting on the showroom floor, although I noticed the "orange peel" factory paint. Needless to say it was the right car I had been looking for at the right price so I got it.
Since then the car has been sitting in my heated garage. When I get time, I work on my new car, wash,wax, put stripes on it, got a magnacharger....blah blah blah. Since I'm in NY I have'nt driven the car yet because of the salt and snow on the roads. Since I don't drive the car and only work on it I look at at the car alot and noticted small brown and black bumps in the paint like a small bug or dust got on it while it was being painted. I probably have located 15 or so "bumps"

Here's the question: Has anyone else had this problem with paint and if so were they able to get it fixed so it looked 100% good, like it should have in the first place.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got two of those too. Two little rocks under the paint. Looks like Bramptons "clean" room isn't so clean after all. Also watch out for rocks, this car chips extremely easy. I got 20 yeah old daily drivers that don't have as crazy chips.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My first Challenger, an '09 HO R/T was replaced by Chrysler because it had a lot of trash and solvent pops in the paint. The dealer ended up making it worse (long story).I was told by the Chrysler rep that they are aware of all the problems with the paint on these cars. My understanding is that the spray booth has not been updated since the '80's. There is a link to a news paper article (on here) stating as much. I haven't heard of as many problems with the paint on the '10's though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too have trash under the paint and some spots that just look like overspray in areas that should be completely painted. I bought a 2010 SE, same story right price etc.. I really just came across this today as I detailed cleaned it for the first time (since the dealerships job wasn't worth a hoot). I have had the car for a month. I will find out quickly this week what they will do, regardless I'm sure it's not going to be good. I did see a 2011 RT Classic with trash underneath it on the fender on the showroom floor. So it is an ongoing problem.

·
Registered
954 Posts
i have many small trash bumps in my pcp paint.it seems that the factory should have the best paint scenario in the world,all brand new metal,a super clean paint booth area,super filtered air,etc... i notice more problems as it ages too!seems as the clear isnt a very good quality or something! i am resigned to the fact i will most likely have to repaint this car in a few years.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was a painter for 7yrs and was surprised about the poor quality paint on my 2010 R/T. Black showing flaws better than any other color made it far worse. I have several dirt specks and the hood has several sanding marks that were left in the primer that show though to the surface. I wet sanded my hood the first day I got my car but since the flaw is under the basecoat there is nothing I can do. I didn't even bother with Dodge since the flaws would probably be made worse by the hacks at the dealer. I could turn out a better job in my own garage. Any dirt spots should be taking care of at the factory or they should not even be there to begin with if the booth was maintained. Comes down to people dont give a dam.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a 2010 SRT8 in brilliant silver metallic and obviously the orange peel is there but other then that my paint job is perfect.

What dealer did you buy yours from?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I also was a professional painter for my career.When looking at my 2010 under the most critical lighting,I'm quite pleased with the overall finish that was done.It shows me that they really know how to do it right.Even if I could find a flaw somewhere,I would accept it.Being old enough to remember working on the original versions,the current ones far surpass anything done back then.

·
Super Moderator
13,958 Posts
I guess that I lucked out with my HO 2009 SRT. It only has two small "bumps" under the paint and no orange peel. You guys are right about the paint chips, I have two small chips behind one of my rear wheels and my car is a semi garage queen.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I got mine from Central Ave Dodge in Yonkers. I can see a few specs but my car looks like the q/c did it on a friday of a vacation week. I have a Toyota and Honda and the paint is perfect on both. The scratches in the basecoat of my hood are the killer for me.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Was at the dealer today getting my truck serviced and was killing time looking at a Toxic Orange SRT in the showroom, sticker was 48,900, a salesman came over and we were talking about the car and I pointed out the orange peel and several specks of dirt under the paint and ask him how this got through QC and he just shook his head and said I DON'T KNOW.

·
Registered
726 Posts
It is what it is. I have a bump or two (posted video on CT). They are my car's character marks and don't affect a thing IMO. Lessons over time have taught me not to screw with that sort of thing. Choose any car you wish and I will be able to find factory issues within the first 30 minutes or less.

·
Registered
411 Posts
When I got my 09 R/T Classic I was surprised at the orange peel and the debris in the paint. But then again it did say " Classic " and since I did new car prep at a Chrysler Plymouth dealer back in the 70's I just figured it was keeping in the tradition of the originals.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
My Mopar 10 has a few flaws in the paint. Only way to take care of em is to repaint and im not having that done. But the paint on my Billet 392 is perfect. No flaws and no orange peel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts