Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it would be possible to run OEM SRT exhaust manifolds with matching Magnaflow HF Catted mid pipes (made for the 6.1/6.4) on my 5.7 hemi? Would this yield a power increase instead of using the stock srt mid pipes? I am planning to do the 6.4 cam swap and possibly the 6.4 intake manifold as well.

Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,321 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've seen threads about the SRT manifolds, but not about SRT manifolds with aftermarket mids. I did a search prior to the creation of this thread...
Then you'll know from your research on the SRT manifolds on a 5.7 that you'll pick up a few more horses and have a less restrictive air flow through out the RPM band. Adding aftermarket mids certainly will not hurt. You are going to see even more gains because of your whole exhaust system set up.

Stock R/T exhaust?

You are running SRT mids to stock R/T exhaust to after marker mids then back out the stock R/T exhaust system. Or have you replaced the whole system already.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Dude, I don't know why you don't text me and ask me these things. You can contact me any time.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then you'll know from your research on the SRT manifolds on a 5.7 that you'll pick up a few more horses and have a less restrictive air flow through out the RPM band. Adding aftermarket mids certainly will not hurt. You are going to see even more gains because of your whole exhaust system set up.

Stock R/T exhaust?

You are running SRT mids to stock R/T exhaust to after marker mids then back out the stock R/T exhaust system. Or have you replaced the whole system already.
Thanks for the info, I am currently running the Magnaflow Competition system on my R/T.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I am swapping over to SRT8 Kooks Mid-Pipes on my R/T. This will let me install the SRT8 Zoomers catback that I ordered.

For your setup,I would look at some Magnaflow Mid-Pipes made for a SRT8. These would mate up to the SRT8 headers. You would simply have to make the catback fit the mids.

The SRT8 catbacks sound better because of the larger pipe diameter (3" for Zoomers). Probably a little to large for a 5.7L, even with mods, but it should be ok.

·
Registered
678 Posts
After the whole install I would look at getting on the dyno to re tune the ECU to all that new airflow you got going on . Be nice to see what kind of gains you read. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you get the SRT8 manifolds, you will have to get SRT8 specific after market mid pipes because R/T aftermarket mids won't bolt up to the srt8 manifolds. Different collector stud locations.

As far as power is concerned, I didn't feel any improvement, but I dyno tuned the car when I had a CAI, throttle body, 180 t-stat, srt8 manifolds and magnaflow catted mids, trinity tuner and I got 353rwhp and 374rwtq so the exhaust must have contributed something towards that. I did not do a before/after test.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
That seems like an awful lot of money for only 30whp

·
Registered
262 Posts
That seems like an awful lot of money for only 30whp
You know I hear that a lot. I really hear comments like that after I installed the Modern Muscle cam and made 363hp and 379lb-ft torque. And lost 30+ torque below 4,000 rpms.

When I get my scat pack 392 challenger, I'm sticking to just ARH long tubes, tuner, and a CAI.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The 5.7 responds better to longtubes than it does mids. Longtubes alone will make 30whp. Add a 370 or 374 cam to it and you're looking at some serious power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts