Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger Hellcat
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my car running today .It is in a inside grage so it was not much light.I notice that the plastic in front o fthe headlight bulbs have what looks like a blue glare or haze or something on them.It is on the inside of the plastic and looks like it is from the blubs.Do anyone else have that problem?I do have daytime running lights.
Robert

·
Super Moderator
14,134 Posts
Normal headlight bulbs are either made of tungsten or halogen, both of which rely on a superheated filament for illumination. On the other hand, the bluish tint you see on your SRT's headlights is caused by HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs, These bulbs have no filament and create light like a mercury vapor lamp- a high-pressure gas is excited between high-voltage electrodes. The bulbs are filled with xenon gas, which is why HID headlights are often referred to as xenon headlights. When you turn them on, the xenon gas turns into white-hot plasma light in seconds. A single HID bulb is so bright that it can handle the job of two incandescent filaments.

They also use less voltage and last for 90,000 miles.

·
Registered
684 Posts
What he said^

What you are seeing is the effect of HID lighting. The SRT's have these. They are not halogen light bulbs but rather a arc discharge type of light that has no filiment, just an arc across two electrodes. This produces a brighter light that lasts longer than traditional bulbs. The "blue" color you see is due to the temperature the bulb operates at low temp = yellow, medium temp = white, med-high temp = blue, and high temps = blue/purple color of light. Hope this explaination helps out...

·
Premium Member
2015 Challenger Hellcat
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Normal headlight bulbs are either made of tungsten or halogen, both of which rely on a superheated filament for illumination. On the other hand, the bluish tint you see on your SRT's headlights is caused by HID (High Intensity Discharge) bulbs, These bulbs have no filament and create light like a mercury vapor lamp- a high-pressure gas is excited between high-voltage electrodes. The bulbs are filled with xenon gas, which is why HID headlights are often referred to as xenon headlights. When you turn them on, the xenon gas turns into white-hot plasma light in seconds. A single HID bulb is so bright that it can handle the job of two incandescent filaments.

Thanks for the reply,Your answer was a geat help and well explained.
Robert
What he said^

What you are seeing is the effect of HID lighting. The SRT's have these. They are not halogen light bulbs but rather a arc discharge type of light that has no filiment, just an arc across two electrodes. This produces a brighter light that lasts longer than traditional bulbs. The "blue" color you see is due to the temperature the bulb operates at low temp = yellow, medium temp = white, med-high temp = blue, and high temps = blue/purple color of light. Hope this explaination helps out...
Thanks for the reply,Also well explained I'm sure your guys answer helped many of us that did not know.
Thanks again guys
Robert

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

I totally agree, except the HID's in my daily driver (300M special) now have 370000 Kms...These bulbs rule.
However they are expensive to change I'm told...:bigthumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts