Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read about people putting the SRT8 OEM exhaust manifolds (headers?) on the RT. Direct bolt on. Is this right? Why would I want to do this instead of putting JBA shorties on? Are they buying used to save money? New SRT "headers" (OEM exhaust) seem to be more expensive than JBA's.

I searched, found a thread that discussed this and promptly lost it. Anyway, I want to know more, please enlighten me.

I have Corsa catbacks and Aria CAI. Want to keep it legal and be able to pass emissions, if possible.

·
Registered
423 Posts
SRT exhaust

I did the SRT manifolds,cats and mids on my R/T.I does throw a code sometimes but they work great.I did this before the JBAs came out.If I had to do it over I might go with the JBAs instead. I'm in CA and emissions test my be a problem.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mopar has invested countless R&D and BIG $$ on these Manifolds..JBA nor anyone else has as much into these Items as Mopar does. Mopar has to meet Federal emmission guidelines and still get the Power out..and they do it well..I doubt you will get any better FLOW and NO better fit than Mopar Exhaust (SRT ONLY) from ANYONE else in the Industry.. Many Peeps run the 6.1 Manifolds on the 5.7 and love the increase they get..Remember there only shorty's..and still open up a Big time restrictive 5.7 exhaust system Cat forward...6.1 OEM's are a GREAT Mod for a 5.7

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mopar has invested countless R&D and BIG $$ on these Manifolds..JBA nor anyone else has as much into these Items as Mopar does. Mopar has to meet Federal emmission guidelines and still get the Power out..and they do it well..I doubt you will get any better FLOW and NO better fit than Mopar Exhaust (SRT ONLY) from ANYONE else in the Industry.. Many Peeps run the 6.1 Manifolds on the 5.7 and love the increase they get..Remember there only shorty's..and still open up a Big time restrictive 5.7 exhaust system Cat forward...6.1 OEM's are a GREAT Mod for a 5.7
I've also got a DS Predator, what about getting a custom tune to fix the code issue? Would this work? Also (and I'm not doubting you), if this is so superior, why don't more people do it instead of using Kooks, Dynatech, JBA, etc? Is it because the 6.1 manifold still keeps the car street legal? Doesn't the JBAs do that as well?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Ya they do work good but if your in a state that has an ODBII status ready check your going to fail if you turn off the rear sensors.Getting around that can be an issue

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya they do work good but if your in a state that has an ODBII status ready check your going to fail if you turn off the rear sensors.Getting around that can be an issue
Can you tell me more? Is that where they plug into your car instead of using the wand in the exhaust? Can you go back to the original tune to avoid problems?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not saying there superior..just saying they are Great flowing..most shorty makes will tell you they cant get the flow any better than Mopar..Now Longtubes is a different matter. I run the Dynatech LT's and I even have a set for sale (Shameless Plug) and I get no codes and picked up 18 HP with a bolt on..more with good Mods..you should be able to tune the codes out..but might want to wait till you finished modding..or got close to stopping..as Dyno time isnt cheap. I think a good email tuner can get you code free. LOL..raving here!!! Just saying Mopar shorties are Really good flowing gear..Peeps like to say I am running such and such Headers ect..But that is their call..
Lemme get another Beer!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Can you tell me more? Is that where they plug into your car instead of using the wand in the exhaust? Can you go back to the original tune to avoid problems?
They do both.The bungs for the rear O2s on the R/T are midway between the inlet and outlet on the cats.The SRT's are before and after the cat.The PCM in the R/T looks for the signals based on that position.If you use the SRT cats on the R/T they seem to throw random rear O2 codes.Yes you can have a tune done that will turn them off but that will give a status not ready code in the PCM that is read at smog check time.Returning to the stock tune will turn the O2's back on and you get the codes again.I've had mine wait a week between codes or just hours after a reset.The antifouler trick works on some cars but not all.I know of one person that has modified the SRT pipes and installed the R/T cats in them and doesn't have any problems.Although I can't verify it I have heard that the smog station has the option to wave one status not ready.The ones I have talked to will neither confirm or deny this.Using the JBAs with the stock R/T cats I have not heard on anyone having any problems.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
I very pleased with my SRT headers and mids. Picked up a set off a Charger with 30k on them. I went with them over other headers for the integral heat shields and the Mopar name. I didn't want any more heat in the engine bay than necessary and hope that having Mopar parts might count for something with the warranty. I've been lucky so far with no codes after 4 months and 2000 miles or so. I do have an automatic which may have something to do with the codes, but who knows.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,119 Posts
Also....are the SRT Cats as good as a Magnaflow or JBA hi-flo cat?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts