Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Fellows,

I have predator with CROM 9r27 installed. My car 09 Auto Chally SRT8 BONE STOCK. My questions to you are:

1- Is it possible to install the predator tune without any upgrades and does it damage anything in the engine?

2- Does it take care of the upshifting and down shifting issues?

3- What is the best set up with no upgrades?

I am affraid to void my warranty due to the upgrades.

Thank you for your inputs.

GOTSRT

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Yes it is possible to install without any upgrades. The 91 tune is the preferred one (you'll need to use 91 oct or better fuel). You can raise the shift points, and it will change it from 6100 to 6400 which will also help with the shifting issues. You can also reset the tcm which will clear the adaptive transmission settings which will help get rid of throttle lag that is experienced after awhile.

You can change out the thermostat to a 180 tstat and then use the predator to lower the fan settings which will help with losing torque to heatsoak.

All of this will improve your daily drivability and will not void the warranty nor hurt your engine.

Dear Fellows,

I have predator with CROM 9r27 installed. My car 09 Auto Chally SRT8 BONE STOCK. My questions to you are:

1- Is it possible to install the predator tune without any upgrades and does it damage anything in the engine?

2- Does it take care of the upshifting and down shifting issues?

3- What is the best set up with no upgrades?

I am affraid to void my warranty due to the upgrades.

Thank you for your inputs.

GOTSRT

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rayzazoo Thanks.

If I choose the 91 tune, how to reset the tcm? and how to get rid of the upshifting/downshifting issue? are they controled by the predator tune or something I need to do after installing the tune?

Yes it is possible to install without any upgrades. The 91 tune is the preferred one (you'll need to use 91 oct or better fuel). You can raise the shift points, and it will change it from 6100 to 6400 which will also help with the shifting issues. You can also reset the tcm which will clear the adaptive transmission settings which will help get rid of throttle lag that is experienced after awhile.

You can change out the thermostat to a 180 tstat and then use the predator to lower the fan settings which will help with losing torque to heatsoak.

All of this will improve your daily drivability and will not void the warranty nor hurt your engine.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rayzazoo, I would love to install MBRP exhasut system and CAI. would that void my warranty? how are you guys dealing with this?

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
FYI, Installing a tune I believe resets TCM, if not, it's right there under the main tune settings "Reset TCM" via the Predator. I always check it whenever I redo a tune just to make sure.

Remember your rights, the dealership has to PROVE that whatever you added, is what caused the problem and that it was NOT a warranty related issue (i.e. abuse). Cold air intakes are just a box and a tube, exactly like what you have, just more flow, if a dealership tried to void mine over that...well, they'd have a hard time proving jack, I know my dealership allows catch cans, cais, etc, but they don't like Predators because they have had idiots that go off the normal tune, and reset ignition etc and blow their engines, then try to get DODGE to fix their mess up. It's best that IF you get a predator, you keep quiet about it just to avoid any issues.

And an exhaust? If an exhaust voids ANYONES warranty they'd be posting like crazy, I have NEVER heard of that and it makes no sense unless some idiot changes his stock piping to 1" diameter from 2.75-3" and over-heats\over pressurizes his system, I really don't think Dodge would ever pay any attention to the exhaust setup...change is so minimal.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Everything posted about the tune install/tcm reset is true. With a fresh tune install, it will reset the tcm.

You won't have issues with warranty installing a cold air intake and mbrp catback. You can have these items installed at the dealership too so you have a record of proper installation.

As for the predator, it is recommended you restore the stock tune before heading to the dealership to avoid any issues if they hve to reflash software updates. With CAI and MBRP, you can use the stock tune as well with no issues.

The key with the predator is, if you want to change something with the tune but are unsure on a feature, just ask the forum or DiabloSport and they'll steer you in the right direction. It is a powerful tool. As for the upshift, under transmission in the tunes menu, you can raise the shift points safely and also change the autoupshift. The rev limiter will keep you from going into the engine damaging department.

Rayzazoo Thanks.

If I choose the 91 tune, how to reset the tcm? and how to get rid of the upshifting/downshifting issue? are they controled by the predator tune or something I need to do after installing the tune?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for all your inputs. I really appreciate it.

I am getting my exhaust with CAI for sure.

do you know if I get to keep the stock exhaust and sell it or reinstall it later? I am not sure if they will cut it to remove it or it is just some bolts work?

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Th stock exhaust can be removed without any cutting. The tricky part is that the passenger side all the way to the connection at the cats is one piece, almost the length of the car so transporting it is difficult without cutting it in half. You can post it up for sale and see what you can get in the forum but it might your install shop might just keep/trash it.

Thank you guys for all your inputs. I really appreciate it.

I am getting my exhaust with CAI for sure.

do you know if I get to keep the stock exhaust and sell it or reinstall it later? I am not sure if they will cut it to remove it or it is just some bolts work?

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
Looks like you have been given great advice here already!!

Beauty of the Canned tunes on the Predator, there really isn't anything I would edit other than the fan settings for the Thermostat.

Let me know if we can help with anything! We are offering FREE SHIPPING on everything right now through Monday night, so if you are interested in these parts and want to save some money, just let us know!

Give us a call at 1-888-SPD-LOGX and we can help!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It migh tbe a funny question, but how to install it the predator if i have push-botton start???
In my 06 charger did not have that, and it says very clearly that DO NOT start the engine, just turn it on. How to do that with the push start?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Push button start

If you have a push button start and want to turn it on without starting, just take a screw driver and pop out the "push button". It's nothing more than a plug. Just wiggle the screwdriver around the edge and it'll pop right out. then you use your normal key to turn it to the run position.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tireburner! are you serious! is this the only way to do it?

I am affraid to mess up man! is there some pictures of the process?

If you have a push button start and want to turn it on without starting, just take a screw driver and pop out the "push button". It's nothing more than a plug. Just wiggle the screwdriver around the edge and it'll pop right out. then you use your normal key to turn it to the run position.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
428 Posts
You should be able to turn it "on" without starting it by not pressing the brake when you push the start button. Without the brake pressed the car won't start and should go to accessory mode or on without cranking. Forget which is first.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
tireburner! are you serious! is this the only way to do it?

I am affraid to mess up man! is there some pictures of the process?
Really? What do you expect to do when your push start fails, or you are low on batterys? I can't even imagine how many times I have popped out my push start, I just use my keys, I originally thought I would scratch the plastic, but you really can't with just your keys...look at your manual, it's basic knowledge on this car to know how to remove that plastic button and vital to know. And yes, I would highly advise doing this, trying to do it with the button in, and possibly MESSING up during flash procedure is asking for serious problems, if you corrupt\interrupt ANYTHING during a flash\bios update, expect serious issues, do it the way you're supposed to. I'm sure you're manual has pictures\steps..but seriously, just put your key behind the push start button and pry it out lightly, it'll pop right out...nothing electrical about the button itself, just a piece of plastic that pops in.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks alot Rpaul87. The picture really helps. I did not know it is easy like this. I thought once it pops out you are going to deal with wires and crap. So it is actually fairly easy process. Now I can feel comfortable installing my predator tune!
Thanks again.

GOTSRT

Really? What do you expect to do when your push start fails, or you are low on batterys? I can't even imagine how many times I have popped out my push start, I just use my keys, I originally thought I would scratch the plastic, but you really can't with just your keys...look at your manual, it's basic knowledge on this car to know how to remove that plastic button and vital to know. And yes, I would highly advise doing this, trying to do it with the button in, and possibly MESSING up during flash procedure is asking for serious problems, if you corrupt\interrupt ANYTHING during a flash\bios update, expect serious issues, do it the way you're supposed to. I'm sure you're manual has pictures\steps..but seriously, just put your key behind the push start button and pry it out lightly, it'll pop right out...nothing electrical about the button itself, just a piece of plastic that pops in.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fellows,

I installed the 93 OCT tune. The thing is when I use auto Stick, it still down shifting by itself at certain points. My 06 charger SRT8 did not do that with predator tune. Why is that? Is there an extra step I need to do and how?

Thanks.

GOTSRT

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Fellows,

I installed the 93 OCT tune. The thing is when I use auto Stick, it still down shifting by itself at certain points. My 06 charger SRT8 did not do that with predator tune. Why is that? Is there an extra step I need to do and how?

Thanks.

GOTSRT
I've never used the 93 Octane even though I use 93, just due to the massive stories of knock\power loss compared to the 91 tune due to the use of ethanol in our fuels. All Challenger's down-shift when slowing down, not sure if you can turn it off...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've never used the 93 Octane even though I use 93, just due to the massive stories of knock\power loss compared to the 91 tune due to the use of ethanol in our fuels. All Challenger's down-shift when slowing down, not sure if you can turn it off...
Oh OK, did know that. My charger wasn't. If I need to install 91 OCT, do I have to put back the stock tune then install 91 OCT? or just hook it up and change it?

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to remove the push button start switch. All that has to be done is to push the button twice quickly and the ignition will be in the "run" position. Push it again and the ignition is off. If you push it quicly just once it will put the ignition in the "accessory" position. Removing the iginiton push button is completely unnecessary.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Oh OK, did know that. My charger wasn't. If I need to install 91 OCT, do I have to put back the stock tune then install 91 OCT? or just hook it up and change it?
I believe once a canned tune is installed (non-stock) you can quickly switch between them as it doesn't have to re-copy your stock tune (which takes forever) each time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts