Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently realized that my driver's side front tire has become completely worn on the outside edge. I am taking it in for an alignment this week to solve the problem, but I'm pretty sure I need to purchase a new tire soon or I'm gonna have a blowout.

The Goodyear f1's that are on the car are pretty damn pricey ($299/tire), do I absolutely have to put f1's on the car or can I use any tire as long as its a 245/45/20?

·
Registered
100 Posts
You're planning on replacing only the one tire? I think you'll find that the recommendation is to replaced them in pairs.

My car came with Goodyear Eagle RSA's, a little cheaper.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Have seen several posts for replacement SRT8 tires with positive comments. Would try to find out why the front tire is wearing before you make an investment. The only time to consider changing only 1 tire is if the they have less than 2500 miles and a tire expert, dealer, gives approval. Also it is usually the rear tires that that need replacement on Challengers before the fronts.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Depending on the mileage that sounds to me like the dealer should replace that under warranty and realign the front end as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Front tire wear problem, 2009 SRT8

My front tires needed replacing at 15k miles; outer corners almost bald.
Having issue with Chrysler trying to get reimbursed for at least alignment cost, but they say they will not reimburse because I did not take it to a dealer. Guess What, there is NO dealer on the island of Maui, but I did get recommendation from Chrysler approved warrantee facility on Maui. I have just mailed my response to there dis-approval. I will go to next higher level if necessary!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd like to feel for you man but darn it you live in Maui.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You wouldn't happen to be the one with the black SRT8 that was racing at MRP February 2010 when I was there with my wife, daughter and granddaughter would you. You were turning 12.9's with a chip and cat back if I remember. You might remember me because I would parobably be the only one that's ever asked you to see how big your truck was:)

Well if you are, say hi to Cavity and Whilly and Whillie and tell them I now have a 2011 SRT8 392 (and yes it's black too:))

PS, they finished paving the track and opened for the season yet?

Dennis

·
Registered
7 Posts
Reply to Dennis from MauiSRT8

Hi Dennis, Yup - dat's me. Track has been repaved; we had a test & tune session a couple of weeks ago. Our next big event is Memorial Weekend.
Check out Maui Raceway Park for skeds and links to pix. Aloha, Dave
PS: Congrats on scoring your new ride!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dude, if you track your car it shouldn't suprise you that our tire went early. Mine went after 20+ laps of the Nurburgring 7K on the car. I had the same wear pattern and it seems I turn harder to the right as that one was completely bald 1/4 way from the outside in. I'll bet you will find the only allignment issue on our cars is the nut behind the wheel.

If you want cheaper tires for track days talk to the folks at your fav tire dealer and pick up some 18" rims that clear the Brembos and some sticky tires. People hear swear by the Invos and NT 55.

I've tracked the F1s and they squeal like a pig under hard cornering unlike the Invos and the invos can be found cheaper than the F1s. Because I'm cheap (and the Invos weren't available when I ordered over here), I have bumped my rear F1s to the front and put a set of PZeros (275/40/20) the rear. I'll tell you how that goes in a few weeks after some of my final laps on The Ring.:browsmiley:

--HD

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I was able to get 18k out of my tires only because:
1) I was able to determine the car was out of alignment from the factory due to odd wear
2) Pumping the tires up to 38+psi so that they would begin riding the center tread more.

For now, I continue to run my tires at about 32psi as that seems to be my magic number for even wear. I drive semi-aggressively so you mileage may vary!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Had the same thing happen to mine, I bought these Hankooks for all the way around on my 2009 SRT8.....they have already gone up $10 a tire....however there are a bunch of us around here who have bought these tires and thumbs up!!!!!

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just how many miles can we expect on the f1s - no racing- with average driving wear and tear? I keep hearing around 15k...does that sound about right? Seems low to me, but then again I do not know to much about these tires.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Just how many miles can we expect on the f1s - no racing- with average driving wear and tear? I keep hearing around 15k...does that sound about right? Seems low to me, but then again I do not know to much about these tires.
22,756 Miles on my 2009 SRT8 F1's. Just had service and noticed that the dealer increased the tire pressure to 36 psi all around according to the infomation center. Have 6/32 left.

·
Registered
890 Posts
22,756 Miles on my 2009 SRT8 F1's. Just had service and noticed that the dealer increased the tire pressure to 36 psi all around according to the infomation center. Have 6/32 left.
Thanks Wingman. I'm just about at 6,000 miles on my 09...I have a ways to go I know, but it's good to know that depending on how and where you're driving, you can get closer to what you're your currently at!
-Sue

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Thanks Wingman. I'm just about at 6,000 miles on my 09...I have a ways to go I know, but it's good to know that depending on how and where you're driving, you can get closer to what you're your currently at!
-Sue
In my 60's. Not an agressive driver and don't do burn outs. Had the alignment checked at the dealer last year as well. Driving style and maintenance makes a difference in tire wear.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My front F1's have excessive wear on the inside of the tires so I brought it to a alignment shop and they told me that I had negative camber and my alignment could not be adjusted back within specs with out additional parts. They recommended a cam bolt. The said they have performed alignments on several SRT's and never had one like mine so far out of spec. The car only has 12,000 miles on it and original tires and wheels. Anyone have any suggestions or similar problems??

The car pulls to the right pretty bad.

specs ideal camber readings: driverside= -0.1
passenger= -0.3

my camber readings: driverside= -0.9
passenger= -1.3

·
Registered
26 Posts
Today I replaced the original GY RSA 245/45/20 stock tires with Nitto Invo's
255/45/20 in back, 245/45/20 in front.

The GY RSA's were a mediocre tire.
It had 33000 miles out of them, but they were not showing the wear bars.
Even when new, they were scary in the rain. Major hydro planing, squirley around corners, etc
On dry roads, they weren't bad.

40 miles on the invo's, but they feel smoother and stickier.
Hope I can get 30k miles out of them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts