Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, since no one's reading, I decided to throw it out there again...

There are now TWO reports of "more power" for the 392 for 2012.

ResumeSpeed had said the SRT engineers were working on more power for the 2012, and another stated Challengers at the plant have been seen with magnachargers.

Folks, I'm not jumping to conclusions, make your own predictions, but there's a SLIM chance Dodge may actually be stepping up.

IMO, the "more power" for 2012 is likely engine tune refinement... the supposed blower sightings are either misidentification or some other project Dodge is working on for the future.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Factory Blown (you didn't hear it from me)
...I heard somewhere Dodge may be considering a factory blown SRT8... don't recall from who though... LOL

Upon further thinking, Magnacharger is one of, if not the only, supercharger that is CARB certified... at least for the 6.1 hemis...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
And they have been on the GM cars for many years. IF they give the 392 a significant increase in power I bet there will be quite a few pissed 2011 392 owners out there and I would be one of em. If its just a tune tweek to get 15-20 more out of it thats no big deal but 50 or more HP from engine head or cam changes would just piss me off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It all fits into SRT being it's own brand. To stay competitive with the 550HP Camaro and the 550HP Mustang, SRT needs to make available a vehicle with similar HP ratings otherwise their sales will plummet even more. I don't see a tune taking the 6.4 to 550HP so forced induction is the next logical answer, especially since both the Camaro and Mustang offer a blown V8.
With that being said, I think you'll see an option box on the order form for forced induction very soon with 570-575HP as the entry level blower.

·
Registered
820 Posts
If they make the parts available to us I don't have a problem with it.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I remember reading something about Ralph Gilles recently making a casual comment of the SRT program, he basically said "can't say much at this time, but many will be thrilled out of nowhere."
Maybe with his promotion - he has a "shock and awe" plan in effect. Let's hope.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I guess I wouldn't complain about a factory SC--although I would personally prefer a TC. Maybe at least having the factory SC option will mean they're going to upgrade the internals to forged making adding an aftermarket TC that much easier...

·
Registered
20 Posts
"Last I checked 2013 is scheduled to be the last model year for the current generation, I doubt that they would change transmissions or make major interior changes for one model year. As for a 2nd gen Challenger, have not seen any details yet. No sign of a 413 or 426, but I can tell you that the SRT8 engineers are currently working on "more power", which *might* explain the "low" numbers for the current 6.4L."

This is what RS said and this does not indicate that the "more power" is for the 2012. From what I can tell from what RS said, that the SRT8 engineers are working on "more power" for the 2nd Gen Challenger.

·
Banned
162 Posts
Okay, this mights be something..... listen up..
I was at the CEMA show this past saturday at the Walter P Chrysler museum ( next to world HQ). I have a 2010 R/T classic with an arrington installed Maggie, arrington cold air, ect... Lots of people were around the car giving me compliments. As I am dusting off my half covers this guy comes up to me and asks if it was my car. I advise him it indeed was... he proceeds to point at my maggie and say that he is with chrysler enginering and " we keep running into the ends of these things snapping, just be cautious'.
I thank him and write it off as I have never heard of a magunuson nose snapping. And lord knows some people just like to gab about stuff they have no idea what they are talking about.
Looking back.. could this guy have been legit and they are doing factory tests on maggies to see if they will have warranty issues??? Just a thought...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Ive heard of Chrysler doing some testing with blowers for a year now. If they are testing the Maggie they are putting it through some testing that does not even compare to what we do with our cars now. They put the test engines through HELL!!! Alot more of a beating than what we put the engine through. I can see them breaking some stuff like that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If this happens I would be pissed to say the least. I won't bother buying a 2012 MagnaCharged 392 I would just Vortech supercharged mine, or (MagnaCharger). In order for this to happen the stubborn boys over at Dodge, Chrysler, or whoever, has to give out the freaking code. What I don't understand is Ralph Giles said "ITS AMAZING WHAT THESE CARS CAN DO ONCE YOU TUNE THEM". Well tell those guys you rub elbows with to give up the goods lol. There are a few ways to look at this. If the 2012 Challenger packs a Magnacharger us 2011 392 buyers future depends on the people at DiabloSport and other tunning companies to crack the code. Dodge is not releasing the code if they they want to sell 2012 MagnaCharged Challengers because people will just add it on their 2011 392's. On another note I was told that we can see a tune as long as a year from now. Thats what happen with the 2007 Charger I believe (1 year and a half).

·
Super Moderator
14,738 Posts
More power for the 392 would be interesting, because they purposely avoided the 500 hp mark due to 200,000 mile durability issues with the engine.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Ultimately I think this is just a myth. Not going to happen lol. If it does, Damn, if it doesn't, great. That fact that the new Camaro will be supercharged and Ford supercharges every from cars to home appliances lol kinda has me second guessing from time to time.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess I wouldn't complain about a factory SC--although I would personally prefer a TC. Maybe at least having the factory SC option will mean they're going to upgrade the internals to forged making adding an aftermarket TC that much easier...
I'd think this would be necessary.

And they have been on the GM cars for many years. IF they give the 392 a significant increase in power I bet there will be quite a few pissed 2011 392 owners out there and I would be one of em. If its just a tune tweek to get 15-20 more out of it thats no big deal but 50 or more HP from engine head or cam changes would just piss me off.
I hear ya.

NOT for 2012 models, for future SRT8 models.
See below...

......"This is what RS said and this does not indicate that the "more power" is for the 2012. From what I can tell from what RS said, that the SRT8 engineers are working on "more power" for the 2nd Gen Challenger.
I did read into it a bit, but since 2013 is supposed to be the final year, that only leaves 1 year between now and then for the Challenger... so I took a leap of faith...

The fact is that blown srt-8 test vehicles were (are?) moving down the assembly line.
But RS is saying not 2012, but future SRT vehicles...???

OK, I admit I took a leap of faith by assumming 2012 would see a power upgrade, as the Challenger isn't scheduled to continue past 2013... so I supposed 2012... my bad. I suck. :fight:

1 - 20 of 137 Posts