Dodge Challenger Forum banner

SRT8 With Aftermarket Supercharger vs. Stock Hellcat

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  stevewhiteparts 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 Challenger 392 SRT8, 6 speed, w/~10K miles.

I like everything about my 2013, but can't stop dreaming of more power (read: Hellcat) every time I'm driving.

Regrettably, I don't care for the revamped '71 style Challengers, at all. I know that the electronics, etc. are light years ahead of what I have on my 2013, but I especially dislike the new style interior.

Having said that, can we list the pro & cons of adding an aftermarket supercharger vs. trading up for a Hellcat?

Please discuss.

#2 · (Edited)
You will probably need to do some engine work to support the boost. IE forged internals.

Pros. You already have a car you like. This just will make it faster.

Cons. If you ever decide to move on you won’t get anywhere near what you put into it back. In fact, buyers like myself will avoid your modded car in favor of an unmolested one.

I’ve debated the same thing. I’ve landed on a decision that I like how my car is now. If I decide to go for something more powerful I’ll just go the hellcat route.

That said, despite becoming accustomed to the acceleration of the 392, I still love driving it. I’ll probably keep it until that changes.

#4 ·
I do like the newer interiors. On the flip side, I like my 2011 exterior styling more than the newer.

It’s more the power increase.

It doesn’t make any sense for me right now to trade up or I would. My Challenger is a sunny day cruiser—it doesn’t come out of the garage if there is even a hint of rain. The current car fits the bill and I still love driving it, hence why I haven’t bought a hellcat yet.

#5 ·
10k Miles for that motor is nothing! A lot of systems that ive researched are pretty straight forward if you run 6-7lbs of boost. I knew someone with a 2010 6.1 + a whipple. Im not sure if he had much internals done because he bought it like that, but it made 600 at the dyno

#6 ·
I have that same car with 12K miles and have been looking at the same question. If you stay under 8 lbs boost you can put a Procharger on it and it should live for some time without forged pistons. The boost comes on later than a Kenne Bell or magnusen roots type blower so your risk of damage is how often you red line the engine. Plus we can already spin street tires easily at low RPM so you don't need a lot of bottom end boost. You can remove the procharger when ready to sell the car and get out of the situation Marshal30mm mentioned.

#7 ·
Looking back I would leave mine be. When i started my project they didn’t have a hell cat. Now. No chance. Factory tuned drivability will ALWAYS. REPEAT ALWAYS be better than aftermarket. And warranty. Now i have done about everything square inch of this car from motor to bushings. Lights ect. But to have a car with a warranty and drivability that is unmatched. Man it would be nice.

Keep in mind. Once you open this can of worms. It snowballs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
You don't need forged internals as long as you stay under 8lbs of boost. Completely safe and fine. Me personally think the post 15 cars inside and out look a lot better, but end of theday don't really think its all that big of a difference.

I guess what it comes down to is cost and what you want. To get a blower put on your car your looking at 10 grand. Cost of new hell cat 70k, or find a used one in the 50s. Putting a blower on your car will not get you 700 hp either. To get to hellcat power like mentioned above you are probably talking a totally new engine of sorts to get hellcat power.

IMVHO, while cool and don't get be wrong I would like one, but I have largely thought the hell cats, GT500s, have largely been a waste of money. yeah you get the factory warranty for a few years, but in reality guys are putting blowers on cars all the time and having great results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.