Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two reasons I made my decision to buy a Chally SRT8, The looks and the audio system. The first two months I had a blast with the kickers. The sound was unbelievable and I'm always cranking up the volume to the max. I fell in love with it until the driver's door started to rattle few months later! I took it to a local dealership and they said I have an aftermarket sub in the trunk. Of course what they saw is the sound option sub offered on SRTs, how dumb is that? eventually they replaced the speaker but that didn't solve the issue. the door still rattles. After a year of going back and forth to the dealership, they said that "the car is not designed to handle that level of volume and bass" I made a complain to Chrysler and they didn't have any solution, basically the dealer told them that the car operates normally as intended because they don't want to admit that they can't fix it. Chrysler chose to believe the dealership over myself unfortunately. I know where the problem is and I tried to explain it to them but they don't want to listen. the door panels or the whole interior of the car needs to be tightened up. nothing wrong with the speakers! The interior of the car is so poorly built that it can't handle the audio system, which is designed specifically to this car!

Now at any volume level everything in this car rattles, I owned a 07 Mustang GT with Shaker500 and a 06 Yukon with Bose all are comparable with the kicker in my challenger but never had an issue in both!

Its so frustrating to have such a defect and the manufacturer avoids to take responsibility.

I don't know what are my options here, I'm thinking making a second complaint to chrysler

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Dodge will not fix the car directly, you will have to deal with a local dealer to do that. Find another dealer that will listen to your complaint and fix the defect. If it's defective drivers (speakers) that are causing the problem, they have to fix it. If it's rattling of body panels due to excessive volume, you may have a problem getting them to deaden the interior of the car with regards to trim.
Good luck with your system..

·
Registered
191 Posts
I hate bringing my car to the dealer's service department for anything. Even if there were a TSB or recall that was an easy fix, I would prefer to just front my own money (if it were minor) and do the labor myself. Something as small as a rattle in the door panel I would just pull the panel and take my time with it and dynamat it or look for any loose screws, rivets, etc. This way I know it was done right and I don't have mechanics trying to repair a sound system.

Going back and forth for a year on this issue would drive me nuts. It sounds like you are just spinning your wheels and wasting your time. To me, any more than one visit for a problem is too much. Like juve996 said, you can try to take it to another dealer but I would just do it myself and be done with it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate bringing my car to the dealer's service department for anything. Even if there were a TSB or recall that was an easy fix, I would prefer to just front my own money (if it were minor) and do the labor myself. Something as small as a rattle in the door panel I would just pull the panel and take my time with it and dynamat it or look for any loose screws, rivets, etc. This way I know it was done right and I don't have mechanics trying to repair a sound system.
I guess I will try to work on it myself eventually, I agree with you I hate taking my car to the dealership, they don't work on many SRTs so they don'y have the experience, specially in my area. I only take mine to the dealership to keep the warranty, I don't really trust them around here.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Something as small as a rattle in the door panel I would just pull the panel and take my time with it and dynamat it or look for any loose screws, rivets, etc.
Took the words right outta my mouth. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You probably wont have any luck with the dealer on this, or Chrysler. My '86 Camaro had a horrible problem with the dash buzzing with just the crappy stock speakers in it. I complained to the service writer, who had them look at it. The service manager's exact words to me were, "Hey, it's a Camaro!". I complained to GM, who had the dealer "fix it". The fix consisted of some dum dum (Don't know the real term for it) shoved under the dash. It helped a little, but I wasn't happy. It became a project for me, and over the next couple of months, when I had time, I tried various types of rubber and foam, then driving it for a few days and making "adjustements" and eventually got it totally buzz free. The best solution was a combo of some of the tubular foam insulation they sell at hardware stores for A/C lines, and hunks of silicone sealer that I simply squeezed out onto plastic wrap, and made into rubber cookies that filled in the gaps. Then I worked on the door buzz. That was much easier, some dynamat, and some more of that foam tubing sliced in half and shoved into a couple of places made it nice and quiet. Last was the hatchback area. A friend and I used pretty much the same method as the dash, and got it fixed in an afternoon. I upgraded the speakers and added an amp and sub and was very happy with it. When the original HU died, I put in an Alpine, and had it in the Camaro until I sold it, when I put a stock HU back in it that I bought at a garage sale for $15.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You probably wont have any luck with the dealer on this, or Chrysler. My '86 Camaro had a horrible problem with the dash buzzing with just the crappy stock speakers in it. I complained to the service writer, who had them look at it. The service manager's exact words to me were, "Hey, it's a Camaro!". I complained to GM, who had the dealer "fix it". The fix consisted of some dum dum (Don't know the real term for it) shoved under the dash. It helped a little, but I wasn't happy. It became a project for me, and over the next couple of months, when I had time, I tried various types of rubber and foam, then driving it for a few days and making "adjustements" and eventually got it totally buzz free. The best solution was a combo of some of the tubular foam insulation they sell at hardware stores for A/C lines, and hunks of silicone sealer that I simply squeezed out onto plastic wrap, and made into rubber cookies that filled in the gaps. Then I worked on the door buzz. That was much easier, some dynamat, and some more of that foam tubing sliced in half and shoved into a couple of places made it nice and quiet. Last was the hatchback area. A friend and I used pretty much the same method as the dash, and got it fixed in an afternoon. I upgraded the speakers and added an amp and sub and was very happy with it. When the original HU died, I put in an Alpine, and had it in the Camaro until I sold it, when I put a stock HU back in it that I bought at a garage sale for $15.
Thanks for the tips, I will try to work on it sometime. The buzzing noise is really annoying. I have to find a way to fix it. I'll try your method once I get some free time. I usually prefer the dealer to do the work since the car is still under warranty. Unfortunately, most dealers have little experience working on Challengers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts