Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Stage 1 Scat Pack Upgrade - Hemi Tick

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  19johned53 
#1 ·
Just installed the Mopar CAI to my 2016 Challenger R/T 5.7 with Borla Atak cat backs.

The Stage 1 Kit includes the SRT high flow oil filter which is larger than the stock filter.

Recently I have noticed the "Hemi Tick" when first staring up.

Has anyone else experienced this when using this SRT filter?

Thanks

#2 ·
Assume the oil level is good? The oil is the right oil? And is reasonably fresh.

If the tick appeared concurrent with the change in the filter it might be of some value to switch back to the factory filter and see if this affects the tick.

If the tick arises from the change in filters you can elect to stay with the factory filter. Or if the tick is minimal and short lived perhaps switch back to the SRT filter.

However, the tick suggests a lower amount of residual oil in the engine, at least in the lifters or lifter oil passages, upon cold engine start. If the factory filter eliminates the tick I'd be inclined to just use the factory filter.

#3 ·
Hey Rockster,

I had just finished an oil change using Lucas Synthetic.

However I was doing quick startup and shut offs while I was changing the oil.

I'm not sure what significant difference the SRT filter would make over the stock one anyway.

Defiantly considering using the stock filter from now on.

#8 ·
Here's the difference in the filters:

#13 ·
Try a different filter. Some drain back and cause the lifter clatter and some don't.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I had that problem on my previous 5.7 with the standard Mopar filter.

The SRT filter eliminated the start up lifter rattle.

Haven't had that issue with my 392. Started using the SRT filter at the first oil change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.