Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought a new 2017 challenger R/T shaker with stage 3 scat pack from dealership in Columbus Ohio. Once I started looking at the details of the scat packs, I saw the disclaimer that stage 2 and 3 are not street legal. The salesman said that it was street legal when I called but I'm still worried about all this. Is it just not street legal if the packs are added DIY and the PCM isn't upgraded? Or just totally street illegal no matter what? Also Ohio doesn't do emissions testing but I don't plan to move to a state that does require emissions testing. Please help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Most likely it has the upgraded pcm. I can't image it not having it. Plus the car won't run right if it don't. If your state doesn't have the emissions testing then I wouldn't worry about it.
I doubt they could sell that car in a state that has emissions testing. Especially in CA where all the parts need to be carb legal in order to pass.
I would ask the dealer if it was done by any dealer or if they have any paperwork from the previous owner. If it was done by a dealer there should be a record in their system.
How does the car run? If it were me I'd go test drive a stock 5.7L just to see if you can feel the difference in performance.
By the way that stage 3 is not cheap.
I'd also be worried about if the previous owner just went with aftermarket parts and put the stage 3 emblems on the car and just had it tuned.
I'd try really hard to find the previous owner and just verify everything with him.
Also before you know for sure if it has the genuine stage 3 pcm or an aftermarket tune I would NOT let the dealer flash your pcm in case you take it in for service. Any service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it was done by the dealer so I assumed it has the upgraded pcm. I have some papers showing the work they have done but not seeing the pcm. And I'm more worried about when I move to a state that does test emissions and possibly not passing. Would the upgraded pcm guarantee a passed emissions test is realy my question I guess?

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
I'd think it's the dealers issue if in the future there was an issue as they performed the upgrade and sold it to you this way. Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Yeah it was done by the dealer so I assumed it has the upgraded pcm. I have some papers showing the work they have done but not seeing the pcm. And I'm more worried about when I move to a state that does test emissions and possibly not passing. Would the upgraded pcm guarantee a passed emissions test is realy my question I guess?

No guarantee. That's why it says off road use. The pcm is tuned by arrow for FCA. Most states have the visual inspection in addition to the obd2 that's done by the shop. You'll pass that since long tube headers are not part of the scat package. If I had to guess you'd pass the obd2 as well. Heck, I've seen some cars with heavier mods pass the CA test which has one of the most strictest emissions in the country. I guess it's mostly about the tune.

·
Registered
356 Posts
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/stage-1-scat-pack-pcm-599082/

also stage 2 and 3 make the vehicle not legal to drive on the street
Luke

ps

Upon installation of this package, on a vehicle originally emission certified for
use on streets or highways, it is illegal as a violation of the federal Clean Air Act to operate such
vehicle on a street or highway, and doing so potentially subjects the operator and the installer to civil
penalties of up to $37,500 per day, per vehicle, depending on the circumstances
I'm not sure why any dealer would want to risk that, nor why anyone would take that risk with a brand new car.
Maybe you won't get caught, but #*@! happens every day, that seems to be an expensive risk, after the first day, you could have had a Hellcat if you wanted more power.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
If you can smell gas fumes out back as it idles, I'ma guess it won't pass typical inspections. :p

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
If you can smell gas fumes out back as it idles, I'ma guess it won't pass typical inspections. :p
Funny you say that, my nephew in a mustang got pulled over for whatever reason and the cop said I can smell that this car has no cats. Cop said blah blah blah about its illegal etc and said he's a Mopar fan so my nephew said my uncle has an SRT Challenger and the cop said excellent car and then just let him go. So I saved his but and didn't even know it at the time, lol.
Interesting that each state has a different test but emissions are a federal item.

·
Registered
760 Posts
They are disclaimed from mopar but are street legal (emission legal).

Go pop your hood and look for silver, rectangular stickers on the painted portion just before the actual engine compartment. There may be 1, 2, and 3 or just the 3rd scat pack sticker. These stickers license that the kits are emissions legal.

Even if you dont have these, as long as there are no codes on the cars computer, you should be fine since all the parts they use are stock parts from other models.

I had scat pack 1 once upon a time and went through this ordeal with the dealership right when the scat kits came out and no one knew what to do lol.

·
Vendor
12,262 Posts
Hmm no such stickers found ?
you will not find it for 2 or 3

this is the warning right from FCA

IMPORTANT NOTES ABOUT SCAT PACK 2 / MOPAR STAGE 2

1. A new Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will be required for Scat Pack 2 or

Stage 2 Packages (not included in this package) and is available from an

approved powertrain calibration modifier.

2. FCA US has contracted with Arrow Racing Engines for customers to obtain a

properly calibrated PCM compatible with Scat Pack 2 or Stage 2 Packages.

3. Upon installation of the Scat Pack 2/Mopar Stage 2 Performance

Package on a vehicle originally emission-certified for use on streets or

highways, it is illegal as a violation of the federal Clean Air Act to

operate such a vehicle on a street or highway; doing so potentially

subjects the operator and the installer to civil penalties of up to $37,500

per day, per vehicle, depending on the circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,923 Posts
I can't imagine a dealer installing that on a new car and expecting to sell it #1. #2 I don't think any of the Scat Pack Stages are available for 2017. Are you certain there is actually Stage 2 and 3 installed?

A Guy

·
Registered
580 Posts
Here's the link to the 2017 Mopar Performance Parts Catalog. Scat Pack upgrade kits are available for 2017. Page 10 of the catalog shows the Stage 1, 2, and 3 kits. It also says you must install Stage 1 and 2 to then install Stage 3. It also does say, right in the book, that kits 2 and 3 are not legal for use on public streets. If Luke from Steve White's tells you something, believe him. I would seriously question this car if it was bought from a dealer. Something doesn't sound right here. There would have been a lot of work done to this car to make a Stage 3 Scat Pack. Could it be that the salesman was incorrect when he said "stage 3" and really meant stage 1? How much money was added to the sticker price for all of this stuff? You're looking at close to $8000 for parts alone.

www.mopar.com/content/dam/mopar/pdf/performance-catalogs/Mopar_Perf_Parts_Catalog.pdf

"Start with scat pack 1, which includes a cold air kit, cat-back exhaust and recalibrated powertrain control module. Move to Scat Pack 2, which includes a camshaft, valve springs, tie bar kit, heavy-duty pushrods, and an upper and lower gasket set. Scat pack 3 comes with new cnc-ported high-flow cylinder heads, gasket set, 6.4 Apache (srt®) exhaust manifolds and catalyst, mounting brackets and hardware. Must have Scat Pack Stage 1 and 2 Packages to install Scat pack 3 package."

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,923 Posts
I only see Stage 1 PCM, does that have the tuning for Stage 2 and 3? Not necessarily 2017, but any year? You can get the Stage 1 PCM alone and a certain increase in power. Can it possibly be tuned for Stage 2 and 3?

A Guy

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,461 Posts
Funny you say that, my nephew in a mustang got pulled over for whatever reason and the cop said I can smell that this car has no cats. Cop said blah blah blah about its illegal etc and said he's a Mopar fan so my nephew said my uncle has an SRT Challenger and the cop said excellent car and then just let him go. So I saved his but and didn't even know it at the time, lol.
Interesting that each state has a different test but emissions are a federal item.
Not in Kalifornia. They do a visual inspection from hell, plug into the OBD2 and measure the emissions out of the exhaust. The slightest failure can cost a fortune to repair, depending on what it is, and they'll make you remove mods to pass. Heck, my Stihl FarmBoss chainsaw is illegal that whacked out state.

·
Premium Member
9,358 Posts
Not in Kalifornia. They do a visual inspection from hell, plug into the OBD2 and measure the emissions out of the exhaust. The slightest failure can cost a fortune to repair, depending on what it is, and they'll make you remove mods to pass. Heck, my Stihl FarmBoss chainsaw is illegal that whacked out state.
Isn't it amazing that in Florida (same country) there is no emissions inspection at all. They do anything down there and not sweat it. California is a bit extreme when they do things.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,461 Posts
Isn't it amazing that in Florida (same country) there is no emissions inspection at all. They do anything down there and not sweat it. California is a bit extreme when they do things.
Part of the problem is the thousands of vehicles, many of which literally blow smoke, crossing the southern border.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts