Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to get some 22 in viper wheels and wanted to kno if I should get 22×9 all around or get em staggard. (22×9/22×10) whats the pros and cons. Thanks in advance!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
828 Posts
If you go staggered then you won't be about to rotate the tires/rims from front to back.... that's the only reason I came up with when I was deciding on my setup.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Going to get some 22 in viper wheels and wanted to kno if I should get 22×9 all around or get em staggard. (22×9/22×10) whats the pros and cons. Thanks in advance!

If you are just wondering on wheel size I would go staggered. That way you have to the option of running larger than 275 rears if you decide to use a staggered tire setup. I believe that you can run the same sized tire front and back even if your rear wheels are 22x10 vs fronts at 22x9. Just a quick check on Tirerack showed Goodyear F1 255/35R20 will fit on 8.5"-10" wheels. So with that I'd say go staggered wheels and then you have more options on staggered tires or can still run same size tire on all four for longevity.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If you go staggered then you won't be about to rotate the tires/rims from front to back.... that's the only reason I came up with when I was deciding on my setup.
The staggered wheels won't impact whether he chooses to stagger his tires.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I say stagger them if it's a weekend warrior, don't do it if it's a daily. Reason I say that is because you will rack up miles and feel the pain of tire costs sooner on a daily driver.

Reactions: OmahaRumble

·
Registered
828 Posts
The staggered wheels won't impact whether he chooses to stagger his tires.
But he doesn't want to run 22/10's in the front and then 22/9's in the back... wouldn't that look funny or if he puts say 275's on the 10's and then 245's on the front, you don't want to rotate the bigger tires to the front, right??? Just going by what I was told by a local tire dealer.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
But he doesn't want to run 22/10's in the front and then 22/9's in the back... wouldn't that look funny or if he puts say 275's on the 10's and then 245's on the front, you don't want to rotate the bigger tires to the front, right??? Just going by what I was told by a local tire dealer.
Nowhere in the previous statement was it suggested to run staggered TIRES and rotate them. Just staggered WHEELS with the same sized Tires on them. Difference highlighted.

I would think that regardless of wheel width if the tire size is the same it wouldn't look any different. The Goodyear F1 for example has a measured rim width of 9". The section width is 10.2". Therefore on the 9" wide tires the section width is spot on at 10.2". For the 10" tire that same 255/35 will have a section width of 10.6". So there will be a 4/10 of an inch difference. Not sure how many folks can pick up on that visually? Therefore, to the eye all of the wheels/tires will look to be quite similar at 10.2" and 10.6".

If there is a mechanical/driveability reason to not do it I am unaware but would certainly not do it if there was. If it is just a visual thing then I would doubt anyone would pick up on it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Nowhere in the previous statement was it suggested to run staggered TIRES and rotate them. Just staggered WHEELS with the same sized Tires on them. Difference highlighted.

I would think that regardless of wheel width if the tire size is the same it wouldn't look any different. The Goodyear F1 for example has a measured rim width of 9". The section width is 10.2". Therefore on the 9" wide tires the section width is spot on at 10.2". For the 10" tire that same 255/35 will have a section width of 10.6". So there will be a 4/10 of an inch difference. Not sure how many folks can pick up on that visually? Therefore, to the eye all of the wheels/tires will look to be quite similar at 10.2" and 10.6".

If there is a mechanical/driveability reason to not do it I am unaware but would certainly not do it if there was. If it is just a visual thing then I would doubt anyone would pick up on it.
I guess I was assuming that most people run different size tires when they do the staggered rims, otherwise why would you not just go with 4 rims of all the same size??? Most of the wheel/tire packages I've seen online have the rear 2 tires wider then what the ones for the front are.... that's what I based my original comment on to the OP.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The same sized tire will look somewhat different on the two different width rims IMO. Typically the rears would look slightly more stretched compared with the front.

IMO, if going with staggered rim widths, I'd go with staggered width tires too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies everybody. I just wanted to kno if there were any pro's or con's; like rubbing or sticking out. I dont think you can get the same size tire all around on a staggard fit. Usually the fronts are 265 and the rears are 295. Im a daily driver and think I may jus go with 22×9 all around. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I agree with if you have staggered wheels might as well run staggered tires. I would. The question was staggered wheels or not. I say go staggered. You have more options. If you decided running staggered is too expensive you could go to a same size and rotate. Or so that's my thinking. I would run staggered myself. In my mind it seems like you just have more options if you go staggered wheel size.

Reactions: cannonballcobb

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
The crazy thing I discovered is sometimes wider tires are less expensive within the same brand/model as narrower tires. And if/when that's the case, running staggered actually becomes more affordable.

Reactions: jaelliott

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The crazy thing I discovered is sometimes wider tires are less expensive within the same brand/model as narrower tires. And if/when that's the case, running staggered actually becomes more affordable.
Yeah while looking around the tirerack website the 255/35R22" Goodyear F1 tires were less expensive than the 245/45R20 size. I've seen other instances like you mentioned where the wider rear tire was sometimes less expensive than the front.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
You brush your teeth, comb your hair, pull the nose hairs out .. right? Why?
Because You want to look good.
Do the same for your car.
Do Staggered rims with staggered tires.
You can't be putting on 22's on a Challenger and be worried about saving money on rotations.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You brush your teeth, comb your hair, pull the nose hairs out .. right? Why?
Because You want to look good.
Do the same for your car.
Do Staggered rims with staggered tires.
You can't be putting on 22's on a Challenger and be worried about saving money on rotations.
So you think it will look better huh? What tire set up should I go with then. Then guy thats at the shop says to get the ride height even I should go 265/30/22 in front and 295/25/22 in back. Is this right. Or I can go 265/35/22 front with 295/30/22 rear. Do you think it would be a diffrence with staggered vs non staggered.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
go staggered.

10" in the rear is almost not enough width for these cars so 9" would be underkill in my opinion.

do not go with a tire lower than 30 profile though or the 22s will look bad, especially if you aren't dropped low.

click my sig pic and you can see my set up.
Okay, okay! I like what you doing over there. Stagg is looking better to me now. Im a lil confused about ur tire width. The guy at the shop says to go 295 rear and 265 front. How does 245 fit on the front and 265 in the rear? I thought 265 were for wheels that are 22×9. Also he suggested 30 rear and 35 front. I asked why and he said that the car would be uneven if I had 30's all around on a stagg set up. Does your car seem higher in the rear with 30's all around.

·
Registered
267 Posts
...another point of view to consider if you like....

I went with 9" wide wheels all around, yet I went 245 front tires and staggered 275 rears...pros and cons are obvious regarding the ability to rotate...

The max width wheel for a 245 tire =9", and min width for 275 is also 9" keeping the stock diameter with 245/45 and 275/40 as to not change the speedo calibration)

This way I'm also not locked in to staggered or non-staggered and can go either way depending on needs...

...just something worth considering. Also keep in mind this is a 20" wheel I'm talking about, so tire sizes may differ slightly with 22" wheels.

The 30 rear is probably assuming a WIDER rear tire. Like my staggered setup my fronts are 245/45 that's 245mm wide and 45% as tall or (245x.45) ~110mm sidewall...
rears are 275/40 that's 275mm wide and 40% as tall or (275x.40) ALSO ~110mm sidewall.

Hope that clears it up a lil'

1 - 20 of 23 Posts