Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my Stainless Works Catback side exhaust system arrived and was installed at Xtreme Performance in Tempe, AZ. I am very happy with my purchase and have attached pictures and a link to a youtube video. Not only does the system look great, it sounds fantastic compared to the magnaflow mufflers I had on my stock system. I've also noticed a huge improvement in performance, especially off the line. Much easier to burn rubber and spin out than previously.

One caveat is ground clearance, and this is one reason I went with 22" wheels in the rear and 20" in the front, as it bought me another 1" ground clearance. Since the system comes out below the side of the car, and provides ample clearance from the fuel tanks, it sits fairly low. Once of the picture clearly show this - and one has to be a bit more cautious going over speed bumps.

The exhaust tips that come with the system are great, but I am definitely looking for longer tips. Been eyeballing a couple of angle cut options out there. I want the tips to extend out at least as far as the outside width of the rear tire - it's going to look amazing. The other perk is that the current exhaust tips are clamp on's, so swapping them out will be cake.

I apologize for the poor video and sound quality - it was made with my phone. It's alot louder than it appear on the video. Nonetheless, I am definitely considering an electric exhaust bypass system from JEGS, that will allow me to bypass the mufflers with the flip of switch when I want to hit the drag strip for performance or simply be loud and obnoxious when cruising down the road :pimp:.

Video:

Enjoy.
Chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Keep an eye on the heat near the tips, plastic can not take too much heat the SS will radiate more than other steel products.
Tout

·
Registered
461 Posts
How did you deal with the rear facia exhaust slots?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you deal with the rear facia exhaust slots?
I pondered that long and hard. Two options really, since no one makes decent replacement fascias like they do for Mustangs and Camaros.

1) Create custom plugs for the cutouts using ABS or Styrene. Adhere with double-sided tape to the inside and paint flat black.

2) Cut straight across from the inside of each cutout and remount the center clips that attach to the bottom of the trunk well. I am leaning towards this option and then painting the rear of the trunk pan black. If you could create some vertical diffuser fins and have them be strong enough to sustain high airflow, that would be cool too.

I do have to say that the existing cut outs are not as obvious or terrible looking as one would imagine, but I am pretty picky.

Chris

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Did you think about splitting the exhaust tips into 2 tips for each side? I think you need something more substantial looking. They almost seem a little bit lost on the side.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you think about splitting the exhaust tips into 2 tips for each side? I think you need something more substantial looking. They almost seem a little bit lost on the side.
You and I are definitely on the same page. Been looking at some dual exit angle cut tips on JEGS and eBAY. The SW tips are decent, but not beefy or aggressive enough for my liking. Plus they don't stick out as far as I would like. I mentioned in my original post I want them out at least (but no further) than the outside width of the rear tire. Borla and Corsa make a nice set, but they are pricey. Hedman's has a reasonably priced pair with 3.5" diameter exit per tip.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
461 Posts
I pondered that long and hard. Two options really, since no one makes decent replacement fascias like they do for Mustangs and Camaros.

1) Create custom plugs for the cutouts using ABS or Styrene. Adhere with double-sided tape to the inside and paint flat black.

2) Cut straight across from the inside of each cutout and remount the center clips that attach to the bottom of the trunk well. I am leaning towards this option and then painting the rear of the trunk pan black. If you could create some vertical diffuser fins and have them be strong enough to sustain high airflow, that would be cool too.

I do have to say that the existing cut outs are not as obvious or terrible looking as one would imagine, but I am pretty picky.

Chris
Could you trade rear facias with an SE owner?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could you trade rear facias with an SE owner?
The SE fascia still has a small cutout on the right for the single exhaust. It's not as prominent, but I don't want any SE parts on my car :browsmiley:.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I like it! Can you show a picture of what you did with the rear exhaust cutouts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Awesome look man. I was actually looking to make my R/T Classic into something similar. I've been trying to find the T/A side stripes but havent found anyone yet. You're look really good. Where'd you purchase them?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Awesome look man. I was actually looking to make my R/T Classic into something similar. I've been trying to find the T/A side stripes but havent found anyone yet. You're look really good. Where'd you purchase them?
Rider Graphix and Dales cud shop have them, got mine from Dales.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks real nice. Are you dealing with any clearance issues? It looks darn close to the pavement?

·
Registered
534 Posts
That looks awesome! As for the rear facia, you could get a second one and cut some of the center out of that one, square cut the original exhaust holes, and bond it all back together with panel bond adhesive (it's made to do repairs on bumpers). Once you get it all bonded together, you can smooth out the grain and paint it to match your car. Sounds like a lot of work, but you could probably do it yourself over a weekend and a few beers. Good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RiderGraphix. I've been very pleased with the quality. They are more expensive but based on my experience you get what you pay for. Originally I had bought a set from another guy on eBay and they were horrible.

When you get yours applied make sure to post pics.

Cheers,
Chris

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks real nice. Are you dealing with any clearance issues? It looks darn close to the pavement?
The pipes do hang a tad low in order to provide decent clearance from the fuel tanks, but it's not terrible. With 22" wheels in the rear, I have only scraped bottom once, and that was with some pretty steep speed bumps :thumbsup:

Chris

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's been bugging me a bit too. I have been shopping around for some nice looking dual tips. As it stands, the tips from Stainless are nice, but not quite aggressive enough :browsmiley:. It's easy to find an angle cut single exit tip (there is a huge assortment out there), but it has been a bit of a challenge finding decent looking duals. In addition, the Stainless tips are clamp on, and it's tough to find 2.5" tips that will slide right over the pipe - I am going to have to be really be happy with what I buy before they get welded on.

Chris

1 - 20 of 30 Posts