Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That looks awesome! As for the rear facia, you could get a second one and cut some of the center out of that one, square cut the original exhaust holes, and bond it all back together with panel bond adhesive (it's made to do repairs on bumpers). Once you get it all bonded together, you can smooth out the grain and paint it to match your car. Sounds like a lot of work, but you could probably do it yourself over a weekend and a few beers. Good luck!
Great idea - I am still torn whether to plug the exhaust cutouts or build something from ABS. I really like some of the rear diffusers available for other cars, but will clearly need to build something myself for the Challenger if I want to go that route.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I am with you. If you are trying to match the look of a TA what better way to do it then with the same exhaust tips. Year One makes repo's of the original tips albeit kind of expensive since you will need to cut the exhaust tip off and weld to the new exhaust. Would look very retro though. Pic of my TA.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am with you. If you are trying to match the look of a TA what better way to do it then with the same exhaust tips. Year One makes repo's of the original tips albeit kind of expensive since you will need to cut the exhaust tip off and weld to the new exhaust. Would look very retro though. Pic of my TA.

Thanks for your feedback guys! I finally got some new tips installed today which completely changes the look of the car and definitely is very retro-Challenger T/A. I opted for JEGS 12" x 3.5" tips. I wanted a slightly more modern T/A look. Here the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Did you ever figure out what to do about the rear facia?
I am tackling that next. The way it looks now is really not that noticeable, especially on a black car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Doesn't that come out just where the cut out to jack the car up is?
Correct. Trust me, if I get a flat I won't be jacking the car myself. With 22" x 10.5" wheels on the back, I don't carry a spare for it and it's massive and heavy as hell. If I had to jack it, I have a shop style jack in my trunk so I can use other hardpoints if necessary. But nope - if I get a flat or have a blowout, I'll be calling AAA.

Chris

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for your feedback guys! I finally got some new tips installed today which completely changes the look of the car and definitely is very retro-Challenger T/A. I opted for JEGS 12" x 3.5" tips. I wanted a slightly more modern T/A look. Here the pics.
omg that is insane. do that in where i live (tokyo) cops will shoot at me.lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
The rear fascia on the original T/A was a single exhaust fascia, so running a SE rear fascia on your "T/A" would be consistent in keeping with the original concept....if you're interested in going that way.

Unlesss my math is off, (and don't get me wrong, I like it and it keeps the car in the "T/A" spirit) the tire size changes would only yield a 1/2 inch lift...since a 22" wheel only provides a 1" lift over a 20", and the car is split between the 20" upfront and the 22" in the rear, the middle area of the car (where the exhaust is located) would split the difference (or 1") resulting in only about 1/2"

Then again, I'm an old guy and my math figgerin' skillls might be off.

Cool efforts on your "T/A"....way back in the day, I got to drive my best friends 1970 T/A in high school whenever he got too drunk to drive...I drove it a lot...and the 6-pack was music to my ears.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Last week my Stainless Works Catback side exhaust system arrived and was installed at Xtreme Performance in Tempe, AZ. I am very happy with my purchase and have attached pictures and a link to a youtube video. Not only does the system look great, it sounds fantastic compared to the magnaflow mufflers I had on my stock system. I've also noticed a huge improvement in performance, especially off the line. Much easier to burn rubber and spin out than previously.

One caveat is ground clearance, and this is one reason I went with 22" wheels in the rear and 20" in the front, as it bought me another 1" ground clearance. Since the system comes out below the side of the car, and provides ample clearance from the fuel tanks, it sits fairly low. Once of the picture clearly show this - and one has to be a bit more cautious going over speed bumps.

The exhaust tips that come with the system are great, but I am definitely looking for longer tips. Been eyeballing a couple of angle cut options out there. I want the tips to extend out at least as far as the outside width of the rear tire - it's going to look amazing. The other perk is that the current exhaust tips are clamp on's, so swapping them out will be cake.

I apologize for the poor video and sound quality - it was made with my phone. It's alot louder than it appear on the video. Nonetheless, I am definitely considering an electric exhaust bypass system from JEGS, that will allow me to bypass the mufflers with the flip of switch when I want to hit the drag strip for performance or simply be loud and obnoxious when cruising down the road :pimp:.

Video: YouTube - VIDEO0014.3gp

Enjoy.
Chris
The rear fascia on the original T/A was a single exhaust fascia, so running a SE rear fascia on your "T/A" would be consistent in keeping with the original concept....if you're interested in going that way.

Unlesss my math is off, (and don't get me wrong, I like it and it keeps the car in the "T/A" spirit) the tire size changes would only yield a 1/2 inch lift...since a 22" wheel only provides a 1" lift over a 20", and the car is split between the 20" upfront and the 22" in the rear, the middle area of the car (where the exhaust is located) would split the difference (or 1") resulting in only about 1/2"

Then again, I'm an old guy and my math figgerin' skillls might be off.

Cool efforts on your "T/A"....way back in the day, I got to drive my best friends 1970 T/A in high school whenever he got too drunk to drive...I drove it a lot...and the 6-pack was music to my ears.
Wheel size has very little to do with the height of the car and 22" wheel is not automatically 1" higher than 20" wheel.
Nice system, but it's not for me.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts