Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the advantage of having a high stall converter lock up in 2nd gear?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
759 Posts
If it locks up in 2nd, the torque converter will slip less and create quicker acceleration at WOT or significant throttle. It makes all the power feel "right there" in essence.

On the street, under mild throttle, the car will feel a little more sluggish because the car can not accelerate as easily with the converter not locked up.

There is more to the operation of a transmission and torque converter than simply having the torque converter lock up "sooner". The converter locks up and unlocks depending on a multitude of factors.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it locks up in 2nd, the torque converter will slip less and create quicker acceleration at WOT or significant throttle. It makes all the power feel "right there" in essence.

On the street, under mild throttle, the car will feel a little more sluggish because the car can not accelerate as easily with the converter not locked up.

There is more to the operation of a transmission and torque converter than simply having the torque converter lock up "sooner". The converter locks up and unlocks depending on a multitude of factors.
I was talking to a guy about it, he said I shouldn't have it lock up in 2nd because of how big my Comp 274 cam is, and don't want it pulling the RPM down lower, and keeping the shift recovery high is better.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes it will drag the rpms down if you don?t drive it like you stole it all the time.

Under only partial throttle it will feel weak and the rpms will not climb the same as if it didn?t lock in 2nd. The flip side is if you constantly apply a good deal of throttle on the street or it?s mostly a track car, locking up in 2nd will put the power down faster. Of course this means you now have to compensate for additional wheel spin and loss of traction.

It?s a double edged sword, good in some ways, bad in others. You can?t get the best of both really. Depends what you are doing with the car and what you are willing to live with.

But yes, keep the shift recovery high, that will keep each gear in the perfect powerband, especially for a high revving cam like that.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it will drag the rpms down if you don?t drive it like you stole it all the time.

Under only partial throttle it will feel weak and the rpms will not climb the same as if it didn?t lock in 2nd. The flip side is if you constantly apply a good deal of throttle on the street or it?s mostly a track car, locking up in 2nd will put the power down faster. Of course this means you now have to compensate for additional wheel spin and loss of traction.

It?s a double edged sword, good in some ways, bad in others. You can?t get the best of both really. Depends what you are doing with the car and what you are willing to live with.

But yes, keep the shift recovery high, that will keep each gear in the perfect powerband, especially for a high revving cam like that.
so it's probably better to run the 2nd gear lockup at the track, and unlocked on the street?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes...if you can maintain traction at the track with it, it will help with et.

Unlocked on the street will help the car feel better all around in my opinion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What gain in the 1/4 should I expect with 2nd gear lock up? If it's like .1-.2 gain, I'll just leave it unlocked.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Errr good question. I can?t give you an accurate number really..you may do some searching around on some other pages including things like LS forums to get an idea. I?m sure you would shave some time and gain mph if you can hook up at the track. How much, I couldn?t say.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My HP Tuners handheld is up for sale if anyone is interested. Only used it once to tune my TCM, still has 6 Dodge credits left, mint condition, less than 1 month old.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts