Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, next mod is around the corner. Trying to decide between a stall or 3.92 rear end for my 2014 challenger. Have a D1 running 7lbs, and want something to help me off the line. Stall would be better overall, however I think the rear end would be more forgiving on the drive train. I do have the optional getrag so it's a little better than the basic auto rear end. Anyone have any experience with either of these in a boosted auto? I am aware of the rpm increase with the deeper gears. My longest commute is to the track. Other than that, I drive about 40 miles a week since I live pretty close to work.

Edit: also leaning towards deeper gears since I feel like I'll spin more with a stall while having UHP tires on the rear. No plan to get super sticky tires yet. It's in the works, but got to take things one at a time.

·
Registered
760 Posts
How spirited do you like to drive on the street?

No experience on a boosted application but bear with me.

The 3.91 (not 3.92, I know mopar says its a 3.92 but it is in fact a 3.91) is a fun gear to drive around on. It will accelerate like crazy so it will spin your tires a little more than they do right now off the line but as soon as they catch traction it will make up for it.

In my opinion, I would do the gear swap because the stall will not benefit you at all except for on the line...and it doesn't really help if you can't catch traction. The 3.91 will help off the line and all the way down track. Plus the car just feels night and day different with that severe of a gear change. It will cost you a good deal more than a convertor though.

I went from a 3.06 to the 3.91 and I love it, even as a daily driver with a good commute on the freeway to work.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I would go with the super sticky tires and light weight wheels before the stall or gears because you note that getting off the line is a concern.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,275 Posts
I ran an FTI 3,200 converter in my 2010 R/T, while I liked the gain off the line to really take advantage of it you need drag radials at the track and I highly recommend getting the Mopar TCM when getting any converter above 2,800 stall. It was my experience that there was a good bit of slippage and not the greatest street driving experience until I put in the Mopar TCM. The Mopar TCM will lock up your converter in all the gears except for first and will increase your shift point to 6,200 under full throttle which really helps when drag racing the 5.7 Hemi (IMO). The two used together worked well for me, you just have to be aware on those hills as you can have some drift back if you aren't paying attention when you go to pull out lol.

A friend of mine went with both a 2,800 converter and 3.73 gears on his 2010 R/T and has been fairly happy with the results. He didn't have any driving issues with the lower stall converter and never put in a MTCM. I'd still recommend getting the MTCM though, even with the 2,800 stall converter, as I feel the increased shift points and concise crisp shifts were worth it.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I'd go with some drag radials and a higher stall speed converter. This will help you get off the line fast, without sacrificing RPM's on the highway. If you have a quality converter built for your car it will totally wake it up. My Nova went from 2.02 to 1.72 60ft times with just a converter swap essentially. Went from 2000RPM to 3800RPM. DRives like stock around town but takes off HARD if you mash the gas hard off the line or from a roll. Very fun to drive!

If you're thinking you may do the gears anyway, do those first and then have the converter built as the builder will need to know the rear gears and other specs to set the stall speed correctly. I would get one built rather than buy an off the shelf personally.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would go with the super sticky tires and light weight wheels before the stall or gears because you note that getting off the line is a concern.
Couldn't agree more, stall and/or gears will hurt not help getting off the line. Invest in a good dedicated drag setup and you'll run better more consistent times at the track.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Personally, It is of my opinion that a wise one would do ...

1. Gears.
2. Tires / Light wheels.
3. Converter build.

Why ... Gears can affect tire/wheel selection, both gears and tires will affect converter build.

Just my opinion ...

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

1 - 7 of 7 Posts