Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger Scat Pack
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone!

I was at the track last night, Everyone was admiring my new Green scat pack. I didn't really do a burnout to heat my tires (I didn't wanna kill my tires already) The guy on the mic was shouting 'Mopar's got 30 day tags' When the light turned green I floored it! the car shut off. My car is a stick shift, traction control was on sport mode but not completely turned off. My buddy recorded the run and you could hear loud and clear everybody laughing. Has anybody faced this problem? :indifferent:

·
Registered
179 Posts
No, how did you launch it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hit the clutch, built up some rev and then released the clutch. Bear in mind I have literally only one week of stick shift experience.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,012 Posts
I admire the go get it attitude to go race. However with just one week of experience driving a manual transmission car perhaps it was a bit optimistic. How did your other passes go?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Why would you floor a brand new car.Ever heard of break in.Hemi engines are known to be very tight when new.Give it a couple thousand miles before you hammer it.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
In addition to the break-in points already made, you don't use the burnout box with normal street tires anyway. Completely avoid it. Stock street tires get greasy and lose grip when hot, so it's best to go at it with the tires at normal temps. The burnout box is only for track tires.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Greetings everyone!

I was at the track last night, Everyone was admiring my new Green scat pack. I didn't really do a burnout to heat my tires (I didn't wanna kill my tires already) The guy on the mic was shouting 'Mopar's got 30 day tags' When the light turned green I floored it! the car shut off. My car is a stick shift, traction control was on sport mode but not completely turned off. My buddy recorded the run and you could hear loud and clear everybody laughing. Has anybody faced this problem? :indifferent:
Nope.....Sorry to hear.... An old saying comes to mind.... "Perfect practice makes perfect". Farmington or Piedmont???

·
Registered
25 Posts
If traction control was on, likely you caught traction and stalled the car. It happened to me when I took my car, with temp tags on it as well, to the track. Not my first time to the track, just first time with this car.
Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greetings everyone. I was at Piedmont Dragway. I already put in about 2,500 miles, I realized that it was pilot error. I left after that run and decided it was not the best thing to do since the car is so new. I did some personal runs and my times were really really crappy, 0-60s has been around 5.7 - 7.4 seconds. I felt insecure so I let a buddy of mine (trust worthy guy) drive it fast. We used the 1/4 mile app and got 12.8 and did 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. It did not stall on him or have any weird things happen. I guess I should stick to learning how to drive a stick shift before I try to break any records. I will say this car is more of a cruiser, and its more for having fun than really breaking records. Or at least in my opinion. I love the car the more I drive it. It makes driving FUN again!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The car is a serious track competitor with the right pilot behind the wheel. It's also a great cruiser if you're not in to the drag strip scene.

Whatever the case, you already know that you need more seat time to truly unleash and enjoy everything that the car has to offer.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Try again

Greetings everyone. I was at Piedmont Dragway. I already put in about 2,500 miles, I realized that it was pilot error. I left after that run and decided it was not the best thing to do since the car is so new. I did some personal runs and my times were really really crappy, 0-60s has been around 5.7 - 7.4 seconds. I felt insecure so I let a buddy of mine (trust worthy guy) drive it fast. We used the 1/4 mile app and got 12.8 and did 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. It did not stall on him or have any weird things happen. I guess I should stick to learning how to drive a stick shift before I try to break any records. I will say this car is more of a cruiser, and its more for having fun than really breaking records. Or at least in my opinion. I love the car the more I drive it. It makes driving FUN again!
Sounds like you fed too much clutch before getting the RPM up and the gas pedal pushed down. Just remember there is a fine balance between the two. One extreme you will stall and the other extreme you will spin the tires (a lot).

So many Geezers on here keep saying not to burnout when using street tires. I think they need realize that JUST MAYBE tire technology has progressed some over the last 20 years.

I have found on my 2015 HEMI Ram and my 2015 SRT Challenger, that they will BOTH do substantially better on traction with a good smoky static burnout and lower tire pressure of 20 psi on their OEM tires. So I guess my vehicles and tires are an exception.

If you stay at low speeds and throttle for your first 100 miles and make short trips <25 miles, then your differential is broken in. After that you are golden and you should be able to drive more aggressively. At 300 miles you can race. I raced my car at 335 miles on the odo, but I was extremely careful during the first 100 miles. This is another old wives tale that many are seeming to stick to. Modern engines/transmissions need virtually NO break in. Heck, if they REM finished (polished) the differential gears then it would not need break in either. With my Truck it actually says right in the owners manual that after the initial 100 miles, "once under way, brief periods of full throttle acceleration are beneficial, within local traffic laws". So, I guess y'all know more than Dodge/Ram.

Drive your Car however you like and have fun. Be careful, of course.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
So many Geezers on here keep saying not to burnout when using street tires. I think they need realize that JUST MAYBE tire technology has progressed some over the last 20 years.

I have found on my 2015 HEMI Ram and my 2015 SRT Challenger, that they will BOTH do substantially better on traction with a good smoky static burnout and lower tire pressure of 20 psi on their OEM tires. So I guess my vehicles and tires are an exception.
Geezers? Nope. It's the lower tire pressures that are helping you hook up. As for the water box, any decent track worker knows to direct cars with street tires around the water box because the treads pick up water and carry it onto the track, which is a great way to piss other drivers off and to also put your own launch at risk.

A quick, dry burnout to clean the tires is one thing, a smokey burnout to heat up the tires and make them greasy is another.

But I guess you know everything and everyone that says not to do a burnout or go through the water box are idiots. Got it! :notallthere:

·
Registered
936 Posts
Geezers? Nope. It's the lower tire pressures that are helping you hook up. As for the water box, any decent track worker knows to direct cars with street tires around the water box because the treads pick up water and carry it onto the track, which is a great way to piss other drivers off and to also put your own launch at risk.

A quick, dry burnout to clean the tires is one thing, a smokey burnout to heat up the tires and make them greasy is another.

But I guess you know everything and everyone that says not to do a burnout or go through the water box are idiots. Got it! :notallthere:
Oh here we go again......

Years ago there used to be a trough that they would spray the water in or that area used to be asphalt and wear out or for whatever reason there would be puddles of water. It was called a bleach box. Nowadays there is a larger flat concrete area that they spray a large wet spot so that the full circumference of your tires will get wet as you drive over it, but not drenched into the tread. So the tires do not get soaked in deep water. Just the surface gets wet. Where I race every weekend at Irwindale there is not room to go around the water. Some cars try to squeeze by but many don't. But I have never seen water tracked towards the starting line that was so much of a problem years ago. I used to always drive around the water when possible and back in to do my burnout. Nowadays I do not even bother and I have never been asked to go around the water at the several tracks I race at. This is another example of people not seeing things change and holding on to past practices. I am not telling you what to do. Do it your own way.

If my tires got greasy from a nice smoky burnout then you would think I would not keep doing it because my 60 foots would suffer. I am talking 3-4 seconds, not a burnout contest. I am just sayin what works for me and what my resent experience is telling me. For the longest time I used to give the SAME advice as you about not doing a burnout with street tires. But I decided to try a few things and learn what worked best for me. I did not say your way was wrong. I was just trying to open up the OP's eyes to a possible better way of doing it and that all the negative comments he was getting should not get him down.

PS: I can use the term Geezer because I am one of them. I think.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
May have even been in 3rd gear. Either way, just enjoy your car and give it hell next time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took it back to the track and Enjoyed it more! I still need to work on my shift times but I haven't stalled at the track! I sometimes stall in traffic or at parking lots when I try to keep the revs down in first gear because its so LOUD haha. I need more power though. Any suggestions that will not break the bank?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Greetings everyone!

LMFAO.
Gotta love your care free attitude. It takes a pair to take a brand new car to the track with virtually NO experience driving a stick.
Kudos man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts