Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had purchased a Stage 4 NAG1 Transmission as well as a Pro Torque 2800 Converter from Don while he was still at Arrington. I had installed all the components early last year around February.

I had noticed some issues initially and had wanted to drive the car during the spring and summer to see if they would go away. I still have the issues.

1st issue that I have is a surging in Engine RPMS. I can sit at a traffic light and the RPMS will dip a bit low almost to a stall point. Then it will kick up a bit higher. My light will dim when the RPMS dip as well. One of the factors in noticing when it happens. I have tried adjusting my idle RPMS in the Trinity but it doesn't work.

2nd issue that I have is on a cold start. The engine starts, put it into drive and the car lunges a bit like it's READY to go. Then all of a sudden, something bogs it down and the car stalls. I have to restart the car and it will do this several times until something warms up or whatever is happening happens. What in the Converter or Trans could be loading the engine to where it actually stalls it? Is something going on with the Torque converter right out of the box?

What can you advise?

·
Premium Member
2014 100th Annivesary R/T
516 Posts
Did you have the car tuned afterwards to adjust the torque management? Thats the only thing i can think maybe the issue.

Good luck in fixing it.

-Kenny

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Sounds like tuning..could also be torque converter clutch issues, dragging/not releasing, hydraulically or mechanically

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only tune was after the S/C install which was before the NAG1 and TC install.

I was thinking that it could be the TC locking up prematurely putting power to the trans. I'm not a mechanic though...still learning.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
If its a SHR Transmission that is your Problem!!

·
Premium Member
2009 Dodge Challenger
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was ordered from Arrington but they drop shipped me a 750HP Stage 4 NAG1 from Southern Hot Rod.

·
Vendor
2010 SRT
151 Posts
I had purchased a Stage 4 NAG1 Transmission as well as a Pro Torque 2800 Converter from Don while he was still at Arrington. I had installed all the components early last year around February.

I had noticed some issues initially and had wanted to drive the car during the spring and summer to see if they would go away. I still have the issues.

1st issue that I have is a surging in Engine RPMS. I can sit at a traffic light and the RPMS will dip a bit low almost to a stall point. Then it will kick up a bit higher. My light will dim when the RPMS dip as well. One of the factors in noticing when it happens. I have tried adjusting my idle RPMS in the Trinity but it doesn't work.

2nd issue that I have is on a cold start. The engine starts, put it into drive and the car lunges a bit like it's READY to go. Then all of a sudden, something bogs it down and the car stalls. I have to restart the car and it will do this several times until something warms up or whatever is happening happens. What in the Converter or Trans could be loading the engine to where it actually stalls it? Is something going on with the Torque converter right out of the box?

What can you advise?
Has to be the tune. You don't say what year car or other mods, but we are always learning things here and there that can help. PM me contact info or call 866-844-1245 -- we will step you through getting some diagnostics from the Trinity and an email tune update. Hopefully looking at the logs, we can identify a better solution than changing the idle. And if something is wrong, we are likely to find it.

Unless, of course, you have a short circuit. Did you say your lights dim? Even with a known, good battery? The logs should help with that, too.

Lastly, there could be something in the drive train, but I would think there would be other symptoms. Let's try the tune first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts