Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Frankenstein. 8lb boosted 392 hemi Challenger
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to this forum but have read some good stuff here. I have a 2015 Challenger SRT with a supercharged 392. When I am slowing to come to a light or just in traffic, my car will die/stall every so often. It starts right back up every time but I don’t like it. Anyone experience this? Is there a fix? I have an unlocked PCM by Arrington Performance and have heard that a dealer won’t touch it. Help!

·
Registered
435 Posts
A dealer can look at it BUT you're gonna pay for any diag time & repair out of pocket. And if it's tune-related, which it could be, they can't do much with that.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I’m new to this forum but have read some good stuff here. I have a 2015 Challenger SRT with a supercharged 392. When I am slowing to come to a light or just in traffic, my car will die/stall every so often. It starts right back up every time but I don’t like it. Anyone experience this? Is there a fix? I have an unlocked PCM by Arrington Performance and have heard that a dealer won’t touch it. Help!
The first thought I had was if there is an electronic throttle if this has a calibration/reset procedure documented to try this procedure.

A "hack" would be to (carefully) pull one or more fuses to kill power to the engine controller and any circuit associated with the electronic throttle or carefully disconnect the battery. Be sure you note which fuse goes where. They may not all be rated at the same amperage.

In either case you are just flipping the big red switch to off then back on again. Be sure you follow proper procedures for disconnecting and connecting the battery.

Can't explain why the electronic throttle would behave this way yet the engine starts right back up and I assume idles ok and if you give it some throttle and then release the throttle the engine settles down into a nice solid/smooth idle.

Well, actually one explanation is the unit goes goofy but the engine off "resets" the unit and resurrects it until the next time.

With no CEL I take it there still might be one or more Dodge proprietary error codes associated with the electronic throttle that if I'm "right" in assuming there is an electronic throttle that might help diagnose the reason for the behavior.

Yet another thought is a fuel supply problem that when you slow the fuel pump sucks air. Yeah, I don't really like this either but is the behavior more frequent with a fuel tank that is not full to the brim, so to speak?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yup had this problem it most likely is tuning related at least mine was kinda still is to a point. When I supercharged my 392 mt with a eforce it was fine. But after I forged the motor upped the boost and went with 1000 cc fic injectors had the problem alot. Had to take it back to tuner upped idle made a few changes now it rarely happens. And I will say will happen only when motor and injectors are cold at operating temp never happens now but used to until I took it back to tuner. Doing that tb reset didnt get me anywhere.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Yup had this problem it most likely is tuning related at least mine was kinda still is to a point. When I supercharged my 392 mt with a eforce it was fine. But after I forged the motor upped the boost and went with 1000 cc fic injectors had the problem alot. Had to take it back to tuner upped idle made a few changes now it rarely happens. And I will say will happen only when motor and injectors are cold at operating temp never happens now but used to until I took it back to tuner. Doing that tb reset didnt get me anywhere.
If the behavior was present from the outset the custom tune is suspect. But of course with a mod'd engine there are a number of other things that could account for the behavior besides the custom tune.

Generally I like to give the custom tune the benefit of the doubt. (However, given all the custom tune related issues I could flip 180 degrees and suspect the custom tune first...)

Short of throwing parts at the behavior I would try to eliminate other possible causes for the behavior, but in the case of a custom tune maybe the first step would be to contact the customer tune maker?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,579 Posts
It definitely sounds your tune needs some fine tuning (pun intended). Do you have access to your own tuning software (HP Tuners or such)? If so, then maybe set up a scan to log the .pids that might let you see what is going on when this happens.

Is your Challenger a manual or automatic trans?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts