Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the technology package in my car with the A8 and I know the adaptive cruise control automatically uses the brakes and the gas to maintain the distance from the car in front of you. But I didn't know that what I thought was the standard cruise control also had intelligence as well.

Some might already know this but as I was coming home from last weekends trip there was a long downward grade on the freeway. I had the standard cruise (not adaptive cruise) set to 70 and as the car was picking up speed down hill I was surprised to see the car automatically down shift, using engine breaking to keep the car at the set speed. But then when engine breaking wasn't enough the car started to automatically apply the breaks to maintain the set speed.

I wonder if the Challengers without the technology package also have the capability to automatically downshift and apply the brakes when the car goes over the set speed while going down hill with the A8 and standard cruise control? With all my other cars cruise control only used the gas and didn't have the capability to downshift or brake to limit the speed to the set point. Love this car.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
Gotta try that on the regular cruise. I usually use the adaptive on the highway but use the regular cruise every now and then, but never noticed it applying the brakes.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
About that downshifting with the cruise control...

The first time it happened to me, I thought my transmission was going up. :surprise: This was my '09 SE, and all of a sudden the tachometer is pushing 4000 PRM. It's just a brake saver of sorts. I have no doubt that all new Challengers have the same thing. It takes a pretty steep mountain to make that happen though.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
My 04 Ram will lock the converter and use engine braking and shifting to attempt to maintain a speed on a decline. I don't think it applies the brakes. I usually kill the cruise, though, because I am usually on mountain passes during the winter, and don't like the truck trying to take control when it's slippery.

I haven't noticed my Challenger doing it, but I haven't spent a ton of time on the highway in it yet.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I was going down a very long grade. The car was doing 70 at 4,500 RPM. I think the car had put itself into 4th or 5th gear by then. When that wasn't enough that was when the brakes automatically came on.

I would have done the same thing if I was controlling the gas and transmission in order not to ride the brakes. Just thought the technology was great so I wanted to let others know.

I've decided not to use the adaptive cruise that much anymore though because I don't like the way it overused the brakes and gas to maintain distance. I think it's maybe OK for long stretches of freeway without many cars.

When I turn on my blinker to pass I don't always want to accelerate the second I turn on the blinker but with adaptive cruise you don't have a choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,292 Posts
Well I confirmed last night that my car definitely does apply the brakes to slow down using the regular cruise control. No long grades around here but just setting a speed and then holding the speed down button to select a lower speed will have the car lightly hitting the brakes and turning on the brake lights to slow down. I've got the Tech Group too with ACC, guess we have to see if cars without the Tech will hit the brakes too.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
The cruise control in my Jeep downshifts to maintain speed on a steep downhill. I find it annoying for short downhills and will turn off the CC until I get on a more level road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts