Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, total newbie here, joined today, and first post.

Been researching for a few months and now getting ready to purchase an SXT with the BlackTop package as my daily.

But as a personal pref, love the look of the standard 18" stock rim due to its concave design which imho makes the rim/tire setup look beefier, gives you more sidewall, and looks less fragile for taking that everyday around town beating, well suiting the overall heft of the car (one of the reasons I love the challenger), vs the flat/non-concave 20" rims that come with the BlackTop pkg.

I also don't like all that empty space around the rotor/caliper with the 20" setup on an SXT, looks like a mismatch and thats just the matter of personal taste/observation. And I am ok with losing the 10 mm of tread width for now as dont have much of a choice here.

If all works, planning to paint/powder coat (or if you recommend any other better process) the 18" rims to dark, blackish grey.

First I thought that as part of the deal, I'd request the dealer to swap out the 20" rims with the standard 18", and I am sure they could do it as the 18" stock is non-premium and most likely cheaper. But then I did the comparison of the overall sizing between the 18" and 20", and according to the following chart, there is exactly 0.5 inches of difference in the overall diameter between the two therefore affecting the rev/min count along with other differences.

So my question is, would the above differences affect the alignment specs, speedometer read, or any other electronic safety measures, etc?

Also, do these stock 18" and 20" rims have different offsets? And if thats the case then does Dodge use spacers or different hub assemblies, etc with varying offsets for the SXT and SXT with BlackTop pkg?

And according to Dodge' car builder, another addition I noticed with the BlackTop package is the 3.07 rear axle ratio. Does that mean that a non-BlackTop pkg SXT has different rear axle ratio?

Would greatly appreciate any insights and help, thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,773 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) The Blacktop matches the 20" with the 3.07 as you mentioned. The SXT comes with the 2.62 otherwise. The 3.07 is more desirable. I'm not sure of different offsets, but it's built into the wheel, so no spacers. There should be no issue with the swap, but your speedometer will be off

It should not be enough to be an issue electronically.

A big issue is will a dealer do the swap. I don't believe the factory can, and a dealer may be reticent to make that modification to 2 cars

A Guy

·
Registered
14,391 Posts
Agree, dealers normally do not swap wheels like they used to so I doubt that they will.

But as far as working OK, yes the 18-inch SXT wheels and 235 tires will work fine. That was even the standard setup on the R/T before the 20-inch wheels became standard in 2015.

So probably will have to find somebody to swap with and there's a guy around here with the SXT wheels painted a gloss black and looks pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for such a quick response, very much appreciated. Excited to be part of this community.

Exactly the info I needed to make the decision. I am ok with the standard lower 2.62 axle ratio for now as I dont plan to do much aggressive/sporty driving with this car. Plus, I think with 2.62 I will have lower rpms in top gear at freeway cruising speeds, correct?

Main reason for looking into the Blacktop pkg was the black front grill, black fuel cap, and the black rear spoiler. If I go with the standard SXT, are those three things easy DIY-swap outs, and are the factory parts reasonably priced?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Another option is to just buy a used set of the 18" wheels off Ebay - and they even sell black wheel skins for those wheels, so you could install the wheel skins (they are only like $80 for a set of 4) and the wheel will look brand new.

I did exactly that with my 2018 GT. It came from the factory with 19" wheels (235/55/19). I installed the OEM 18" wheels with 235/60/18 tires. I love having the beefier sidewall as well. Only difference is that I like chrome wheels, so I went with the chrome wheel skins instead of the black versions.

The nice thing about wheel skins is that if you ever damage a wheel, you can simply replace the wheel skin and you are back to having a brand new looking wheel again (so you replace the wheel skin instead of the wheel). :)

Here is what my 2018 GT looks like with the 18" wheels (with chrome wheel skins installed) - like I said, they sell gloss black wheel skins for these wheels too, so you could easily make them black as well. Not the greatest pictures, but you get the idea...

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,163 Posts
Agree, dealers normally do not swap wheels like they used to so I doubt that they will.
I was always of the understanding that dealerships were prohibited from modifying any equipment on the monroney unless the equipment removed was replaced with equipment upgraded on an addendum sticker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Damn, the car looks just stunningl. Thx for the pix. Narrowed it down to Granite and Destroyer grey, but every time I look at a white one... :)

The thing is that the designer(s) have done such an amazing job with the Challenger that the car just looks beautiful pretty much in any color. Reason for that is Its minimalist design where less is more and where the form follows function, rather than the fads. And thats why, even after more than a decade, it still looks damn current in a modern way (and not the classic way) and will most likely still look current a decade from now, while everything else out there looks overly "styled", styled-to-sell, and trying too hard to be different.

The reason the car still looks modern/current is because its design looks like it has been following a natural evolutionary design process, vs trying to follow a herd which is blindly following a trend or a fad. There is a difference between a well-designed car vs an overly styled one. The latter will always look outdated in the next three years or less once the fad/style is done being the trend of the day.

I just hope to God that dodge' design lead does not allow the bean counters over there to mess with either the design or the heft/weight of this vehicle, the two key things that distinguishes it from the rest, or else it would look, drive, and feel just like everything else out there. And those were the two main things that also drew me to it, its design being the first of course.

Dodge simply needs to only keep on perfecting and optimizing the Challenger' current design into the future as they have been doing so far, vs attempting to change it just for the heck of it or just because the modern day bloggers-turned-car critics/pundits (non of whom by the way have gone to any design school) have been bitchin about its "decade old design" and/or its weight. And if the designers really feel the need for refresh for some reason, they should really only be "tastefully" updating it, or else it would be very easy to screw it all up.

And of course they need to fix some QC issues at their end. I mean, like the quality of the exterior plastic pieces, like the front grill, etc, as well as the gaps between the fender flares and the body on the wide body models is just unacceptable in 2020. They need to address that stuff. The lighter the color, the more pronounced the fender flare gaps are, look really bad and cause the flares to look aftermarket add ons imho. The designers have done a great job on the wide body but the engineering/assembly departments may have dropped the ball here. These gaps had been one of the main reasons for me to not fully commit to the the wide body for a while, and once I was able to get past them, forcing me to look at the darker colors which hide the gaps somewhat.

Thanks for the info on the rims, very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,793 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey. My black Challenger SXT was not a blacktop but I replaced the chrome fuel door with black which was a really easy swap and not that costly. I also covered the chrome grill inserts with carbon fiber trim pieces but you can change the grill inserts from chrome to black with factory pieces. From what I understand you have to remove the front bumper assembly to change those pieces. My car is already black so the rear spoiler was not an issue. My stock 18 inch wheels, are painted black too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, vpzyck. Appreciate the info.

Possible to view some hirez pics of the car, would love to see how your powder coated rims look like, thx.

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,793 Posts
20191224_145006.jpg

Here is a pic with the black painted stock 18"wheels and the carbon fiber trim pieces on the grill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great, thx for the pix, vpzyck.

Really, entire bumper needs to be taken off to swap out the grille pieces? Just to confirm, are the factory chrome areas (rectangles and the badge) separate swappable pieces or are they part of the entire grille?

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,793 Posts
People have done it themselves but I haven't. There might be some YouTube videos on it. I covered the silver trim pieces with carbon fiber like covers and like it a lot. Didn't want to go through taking the front end apart just for that.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,773 Posts

Painting would take some masking, but for the time it would take, if mine were not black from the factory, that's the way I would have gone. Masking and painting is nothing new to me ;)

A Guy

Reactions: vpzyck
1 - 16 of 16 Posts